January 23 2014 MCAT - how did you find it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Bio wasn't bad at all though some of the discretes were like wtf , verbal had some annoying confusing questions in one passage but didnt seem that bad (passages were a bit long), and phys i made some stupid calculation mistakes and was rushed (i think i made like 10 mistakes, which sucks. is that enough to kill my score? I was shooting for like a 30-32 and im planning on signing up for a retake)

Reactions: 1 user
I thought physical sciences was long and I thought bio was hard and the discretes were very odd

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with the others on here that the discretes in BS were weird and a little tough. Verbal passages were way too long for someone like me who doesn't read and comprehend quickly. There was one passage (won't say because of guidelines) where I thought there was no way to answer the questions quickly.

Like weird in what way? When you guys say BS had a "VR feel" is it like trying to deduce what the author is trying to say in regards to a hypothesis or opinion? Or thy way the most of what is needed is in the passage and you just have to synthesize the info into what best answers the question? Or Other? We aren't discussing specific topics, just the perceived "oddness" of a section to a test taker.

well...
for me BS had a lot of experimental stuff, hypothesis with not enough of stand alone qs...and I run out of time on VR and BS :arghh:

This is all so opposite of what I felt! I felt like Bio was okay and Vr was the usual, but I thought the PS was so HARD! I was very rushed for time..wasn't even to the third passage by the time the 30 minute warning showed :/.

PS was hard for me.. VR was ok.. but ran out time :(.. Bio was ok for me (At least this is what I felt) ... I think I will have to sign up for another MCAT...

I thought BS went really well except for a few discretes. PS was hard. VR was not too bad.

Oh, man - agreed with the above. I found this one much harder than any official practice FLs, what did ya think?

Both BS and PS took me way longer than usual and I found them hard, VR +/- normal.

Are discretes the questions not based on passages? Cause I didn't think they were that bad. I was surprised that there was much more math than seen in practice tests.

Yes, the discretes were the questions not based on passages. They are the stand alone questions. I didn't think most of the discretes were that bad either, I mainly struggled on some of the more difficult passage based questions.

I thought it was about the same difficulty as the later AAMC FLs. One or two bio questions that required some very specific, random background knowledge, but other than that felt about the same as most of my later practice tests.