January PCAT scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lgooden

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone - think we will get the Jan PCAT scores soon, or do you think they will be delayed because some people took them a week late 'cause of the weather? The Nov. scores were mailed out really quickly.

Members don't see this ad.

lgooden said:
Hey everyone - think we will get the Jan PCAT scores soon, or do you think they will be delayed because some people took them a week late 'cause of the weather? The Nov. scores were mailed out really quickly.
I called Harcourt today and asked the same question. They told me that the scores should be sent out late February to early March. Best of luck!

-g

gtam18 said:
I called Harcourt today and asked the same question. They told me that the scores should be sent out late February to early March. Best of luck!

-g

That sucks!!! :eek: :eek: That means we have to wait another 2-3 weeks? I was so hoping we'd get them early and i'd be surprised with my scores by the end of next week. :( And so the agony continues....

Did you take the January PCAT?? That could explain you not having heard from OSU. They do wait for your PCAT scores before inviting people for interviews...with few exceptions.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was trying not to post anymore annoying “Why does OSU hate me?” posts, but since you brought it up here goes………. +pity+

I took the PCAT in October and got an 83. I took it again in Jan at OSU ironically (My city was full) to see if I could get a better score. OSU has had all of my information/materials since December and I have verified this with Heather the admissions counselor. I do have a degree as well and I grew up in Columbus and have lived in OH my whole life etc. etc…blah blah blah..... I am taking it as a pretty bad sign that I haven't heard anything yet. I have gotten 4 interviews at other schools so far so hopefully I will get in somewhere even though it won't be my first choice. If I get waitlisted it will really suck because I still need Analytical Chem which is not offered at my school this spring. If I got in to OSU, I was just planning to take it there in the summer and Heather said that was fine. But if I am in limbo in the summer, what do I do???? Anyone know how their waitlist works anyway? Oh well...at least I haven't been rejected. I really thought OSU was where I had the best chances of getting accepted or at least getting an interview.

Back to the PCAT though, I really hope I did better this time 'cause Heather said they look at your most recent pcat scores not the highest. I had a pretty good feeling about the test afterwards though. Hopefully everyone that took it in Jan did well. The wait continues. :mad: I think a drug should be developed to give people patience. Sorry for the venting.... :(

Sorry OSURxgirl. I just realized that I got you confused with OhioRxGirl. I 've told you most of this stuff before. I'm sure you are sick of my whining. I am generally a very mature person, but this whole process and all the uncertainty is just bringing out the worst in me. Sorry for my repetitive redundancy...

I truly don't think you're whining. I just want to help you out, because I felt exactly the way you do now a little over a year ago. I know it sucks. Good luck to you and congratulations on your upcoming interviews!

How do we find out our scores? Do they mail them out to us or do we have to check the website or something?

Hello

I'm new to the forum. I'm just reporting that I just recieved my PCAT scores today. So look out for them this week or the next. GOOD LUCK :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats Texas11! I wonder why they told people the end of Feb/early March if they obviously had to have been mailed out yesterday? Maybe they don't mail them all on the same date or wanted to overestimate in case something happened? Anyway, hopefully mine will make it up to Ohio soon.... I'm really obsessive, I went to usps.com and it said that mail from the pcat zip code should take 3 days regular mail to get to me. So that should be Saturday! We'll see :)

whats a good composite score? i got my results today and it seems to be ok, but i cant find anything on how high a good score is.

btw...i got a composite score of 89

glagic said:
whats a good composite score? i got my results today and it seems to be ok, but i cant find anything on how high a good score is.

btw...i got a composite score of 89

--i was wondering what's a good composite score too, i got my scores today i live in L.A.

Phantom said:
1% quantitative ability

64 composite...

What were the rest of your scores? (chem-bio-reading-writing)
I know that I bombed the math portion, but I think I nailed the rest.

Chris

lgooden said:
Congrats Texas11! I wonder why they told people the end of Feb/early March if they obviously had to have been mailed out yesterday? Maybe they don't mail them all on the same date or wanted to overestimate in case something happened? Anyway, hopefully mine will make it up to Ohio soon.... I'm really obsessive, I went to usps.com and it said that mail from the pcat zip code should take 3 days regular mail to get to me. So that should be Saturday! We'll see :)

I'm with you, Ohio. I'm in Illinois and I haven't gotten mine yet, but now with all of these posts my blood pressure is making my eyeballs throb in anticipation. I was doing so good waiting patiently...

Chris

2005pharmD said:
you mean february 19th or 21st? if yes, how do you know?

If I'm not mistaken, Monday the 21st is Presidents day and there is no mail.
Please let them come today. :idea:

Don't even want mine, I am starting to study now for the next PCAT. If I can work on chem and math the PCAT will be fine. Good luck everyone

I'm not too thrilled, but I'm not too crushed, either.
I don't know what to do now.
I got the 80th %tile.
Should I take it again over the summer?
What do you guys think?
So far, my pre-pharmacy curriculum is a 4.0. I already have a B.A. degree. I've won awards in both photography and chemistry. Do I need to boost my PCAT score up a bit? I've got two more shots at this.

Any advice appreciated...

Chris

numbers numbers I'm a slave to my numbers.

you're fine. I know someone who got a 74% & still got an interview invitation.

freshbeatschris said:
I'm not too thrilled, but I'm not too crushed, either.
I don't know what to do now.
I got the 80th %tile.
Should I take it again over the summer?
What do you guys think?
So far, my pre-pharmacy curriculum is a 4.0. I already have a B.A. degree. I've won awards in both photography and chemistry. Do I need to boost my PCAT score up a bit? I've got two more shots at this.

Any advice appreciated...

Chris

numbers numbers I'm a slave to my numbers.
i would say it would depend on the school you want to get into.
look at the schools' average....

i think your stats are fine and would probably be fine for my school but perhaps not for others

freshbeatschris said:
What were the rest of your scores? (chem-bio-reading-writing)
I know that I bombed the math portion, but I think I nailed the rest.
Chris
if you really bombed it, there will be tons of room for improvement.

verbal------420 / 80
bio---------437 / 92
reading-----414 / 71
quant-------335 / 1 (i answered 10 questions, didn't have time to bubble in)
chem-------431 / 89
composite---407 / 64

average = 407.4 / 66.6

if i got an 85 in math, i would have an approximate 84 percentile

which subject is the writing under??? was it even graded? was the writing just experimental? what about next time?

Phantom said:
if you really bombed it, there will be tons of room for improvement.

verbal------420 / 80
bio---------437 / 92
reading-----414 / 71
quant-------335 / 1 (i answered 10 questions, didn't have time to bubble in)
chem-------431 / 89
composite---407 / 64

average = 407.4 / 66.6

if i got an 85 in math, i would have an approximate 84 percentile

which subject is the writing under??? was it even graded? was the writing just experimental? what about next time?

I meant to say verbal, but yes, there was a writing portion at the end of our tests. It was experimental this time, who knows about next time

Chris

bbmuffin said:
i would say it would depend on the school you want to get into.
look at the schools' average....

i think your stats are fine and would probably be fine for my school but perhaps not for others

Where do I go to find the average PCAT score of the school I want to go to? I found a site that had the ratio of men to women, the ration of how many applied to how many got in, and average GPA, but it made no mention of PCAT scores.

Thanks for your advice.
Chris

freshbeatschris said:
Where do I go to find the average PCAT score of the school I want to go to? I found a site that had the ratio of men to women, the ration of how many applied to how many got in, and average GPA, but it made no mention of PCAT scores.

Thanks for your advice.
Chris
hmmmm

i believe pharm cas might have the low.... they also might have the average of the past class... also check out individual school websites to see what you can find.

i'm not really sure about this... someone else may be able to help you who is a little more involved in the process right now.

bbmuffin said:
hmmmm

i believe pharm cas might have the low.... they also might have the average of the past class... also check out individual school websites to see what you can find.

i'm not really sure about this... someone else may be able to help you who is a little more involved in the process right now.

I checked with the school and PharmCAS's info on the school and neither one says anything about the PCAT scores. I'll keep looking.

Chris

i just got my january pcat today. i improved my score from an 86 to a 94. im applying to UF and havent heard back from them yet. do you think it's too late for them to consider this new pcat score? do you think a 94 pcat and a 3.3 gpa is good enough for UF? ::crosses fingers::

Has anyone from PA, NJ, or NYC area get their jan pcat results yet? Im still waiting for my mail!!

havent gotten mine in OH. Loks like it will be tuesday since Mon is a holiday. mad:

tricia said:
i just got my january pcat today. i improved my score from an 86 to a 94. im applying to UF and havent heard back from them yet. do you think it's too late for them to consider this new pcat score? do you think a 94 pcat and a 3.3 gpa is good enough for UF? ::crosses fingers::

UF says on their website that they are considering January's PCAT scores. As another UF applicant, I would say that at least a 90 PCAT and a 3.0 science/math gpa would be good enough for them to not just toss into the "deny" pile.

Yaaaaaaaaaaay!!!!! I increased my score from an 83 to a 95. I wish I had had my scores sent directly to OSU, but now I have to wait for pharmcas to update everything. Should I request a transcript to be sent directly to them? I just really want to get an interview.

I've been expecting my pcat scores since friday. I came home from work today wondering if I got it in the mail. Lo and behold, it wasn't there. I'll have to wait one more long day(if I'm lucky). Has anyone in Mass. received their scores yet?

-g

I'm from Tennesssee. Got my scores today. 61%...guess I'm not going anywhere this year. :(
Well, I'm just a sophomore...got a couple more tries. So for those who made 80 and 90s, did you study from Kaplan?

I used Kaplan, Barrons, Peterson's, pcatprofessor, the audiolearn cd's, and some cliff's quick review books.

I used the audiolearn while working out and in my car! Gotta love multi-tasking! :D

Yay :)

Got home from a stressful day at work to find a 95%tile PCAT score waiting for me. woohoo, its not a 99, but it will have to do I guess lol, just kidding, i'm very happy with it.

Now, the real question is, after completing an engineering degree, why on every standardized test I take, my math score is the lowest and verbal/reading the highest? lol

btw: for the previous poster, I studied occasionally for 2 weeks from the kaplan book, although if I studied more, I probably could have improved my bio score...

Hello everyone, :)
I am new here. I aslo got my PCAT score today and they looked pretty bad (compare to what I have seen here.) I'm from NJ and I thought (hopefully) I was reading the test wrong. Can some one tell me how to read it? How do I know if I did good or bad on these test. I'm not posting my score up (b/c of shame :( :( ) but the composite score, the scaled score and the percentile rank, how do I fiqure out the overall success of my score? :(

SmartBeauty said:
Hello everyone, :)
I am new here. I aslo got my PCAT score today and they looked pretty bad (compare to what I have seen here.) I'm from NJ and I thought (hopefully) I was reading the test wrong. Can some one tell me how to read it? How do I know if I did good or bad on these test. I'm not posting my score up (b/c of shame :( :( ) but the composite score, the scaled score and the percentile rank, how do I fiqure out the overall success of my score? :(

The composite score is your overall score

To be honest, I've lost track of who asked which questions that I'll try to answer... but bear with me and here goes....

I studied from the Kaplan PCAT book and a princeton review MCAT bio review book and used an audio osmosis CD that one of my pre-med friends had. The audio osmosis was extremely useful when I was commuting- I actually retained a lot of information from it, although I consider myself an extremely visual person.

I think to consider yourself competative, you need to look at the stats of the schools that you are applying to. For most of my schools, they were listed on the FAQs of that pharmacy school's website.

And about sending scores to OSU, I would spend the extra money and send them directly from Harcourt and contact OSU. If PharmCAS already has one set of scores and will send out your application, make sure OSU will accept the scores directly from Harcourt even if PharmCAS doesn't have the updated info. The reason I say this is that PharmCAS seem to take an extremely long time to update a file and if you are getting close to a deadline or they do rolling applications, you may not want to wait around for PharmCAS to get everything together. But Definately contact OSU about this first.

Anyway, that's just my two cents... Good luck all!!!