Program-Specific Info / Q's Jefferson MOT pros/cons

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OT4life815

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I haven't heard back from Jeff but was interviewed a few weeks ago! I have heard really great things but also some bad things too. I've heard Jeff is very research based and that the people there are not nice and it is very competitive even after you are in the program? Is the true?

I wanted to know what the pros, but more so the cons of Jeff's program.

Any feedback would be great! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Who's mean? The faculty? Other students? Where did you hear that? I've only heard nice things about it, but admittedly I haven't heard a lot.

Research is one of the reasons why they're so well ranked, but I'm not surprised by that all, and I think that's great! We need to do a lot of research to keep up with other fields. After all, sensory integration has mixed evidence at the moment.

the people there are not nice and it is very competitive even after you are in the program

Oooh, spill the details. I do wish that I could get a better sense about culture/environment of different programs based on my internet research. And on this board the response to these questions is usually more "I <3 OT and my school and everybody~~!!" But I think generally you just have to take the leap based on where you get in/cost/curriculum, because every person's experience is going to be different. And just hope that you're part of a great cohort!

Most OT programs have smaller classes (30ish people), and so those programs are perhaps more close knit. TJU admits around 70+, so I can imagine it being a little less buddy-buddy.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I've heard Jefferson as a whole is snobby. I've heard students aren't there to be each other's friends and aren't very close knit. I have heard this from current OT's who went there and a few students who just finished the program. I know everyone has their own perspective about things too and depends on the person. I don't mind research either and I think it is necessary but its not the most important focus. I've heard Jefferson has a huge research project at the end of your second year that is very extensive and the students just want to be done after fieldwork but have to stay for their last research class.

Thank you both so much!

Reactions: 1 users
I am a current student at Jeff and I love it! Our professors are always available and very supportive. I also feel supported and close with classmates. I find research to be essential for the future of OT in order to provide evidence for our distinct value - why should we be reimbursed? do our services actually make a difference? what is the best intervention for someone with left neglect after a CVA. Etc. Research is essential to keeping our profession alive and profitable. I wouldn't say Jeff is solely focused on research, I find it is a mix of both clinical and research which I feel will make me a well rounded and competent clinician. And yes there is a research capstone at the end of our program that we do in a small group, it's about a month and a half long semester, along with other classes that prepare us for the NBCOT. I have heard it's not the most fun to come back after FW, but again it's not terrible and I'm excited to share what we've learned on FW 2's with our classmates. I am currently on my first level 2 FW and feel prepared and competent. I couldn't say better things about the program.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I am a current student at Jeff and I love it! Our professors are always available and very supportive. I also feel supported and close with classmates. I find research to be essential for the future of OT in order to provide evidence for our distinct value - why should we be reimbursed? do our services actually make a difference? what is the best intervention for someone with left neglect after a CVA. Etc. Research is essential to keeping our profession alive and profitable. I wouldn't say Jeff is solely focused on research, I find it is a mix of both clinical and research which I feel will make me a well rounded and competent clinician. And yes there is a research capstone at the end of our program that we do in a small group, it's about a month and a half long semester, along with other classes that prepare us for the NBCOT. I have heard it's not the most fun to come back after FW, but again it's not terrible and I'm excited to share what we've learned on FW 2's with our classmates. I am currently on my first level 2 FW and feel prepared and competent. I couldn't say better things about the program.
Thanks so much! I'm from RI and I'm a little worried about not knowing anyone down there. Do you think it'd be difficult for out-of-staters to befriend others in the cohort? I'm going to be in the OTD if I accept, which will be nice because there will be 20 students in it of the 75. Thanks!

No I think you'll be fine! I have classmates and friends from California, Connecticut, New York, etc. You end up getting pretty close quick, bonding over the experience and working in groups together.

thank you so much for all of the input! What made you pick Jeff over some of the other programs in the area? I really like Jeff and I am hoping to get in and I feel so relieved to know some of the things I heard aren't necessarily true!

Well I only applied to temple in the philly area otherwise and when I visited temple I really didn't like the location. I also was accepted to Pitt and Ohio State but I just had a really great gut feeling about Jeff when I visited. I liked the area, the campus, and the professors I met. I also liked that we start fieldwork the first semester and have a lot of hands on opportunities to have a variety of FW's - for example I was able to work with a refugee and her family at her home, run mental health groups at a veterans center, and collaborate with industrial designers to create a totally new product for a client in the community. It's been awesome! I basically only heard good things about the program and the education we would receive. It has a good reputation for a reason. Plus I got a scholarship and a graduate assistant position, so I was sold! Let me know if you have any other questions.

That is so cool!!! It seems like you got a variety of fieldwork experience! Do you know anything else about Temple's program? I have also heard it is not in a great or safe location. I have been accepted there but I didn't accept yet, I am waiting to hear back a few other schools I applied to, including Jeff! I was interviewed last month so I am hoping to hear back soon.

I can't say I know much about temple. When I applied they didn't have interviews so I didn't meet any of the faculty. I did go on a tour and they set up a Q & A session for me with a group of current students. They were all very nice and seemed to really like the program. They were honest about the location though and said they usually walk together in groups. Overall the location was enough for me to decline the offer. I didn't feel comfortable. The program is on temples health science campus which is further north than their main campus. Also their facilities, like classrooms and labs, weren't very up to date and clean. I just didn't have a good vibe.

That is so cool!!! It seems like you got a variety of fieldwork experience! Do you know anything else about Temple's program? I have also heard it is not in a great or safe location. I have been accepted there but I didn't accept yet, I am waiting to hear back a few other schools I applied to, including Jeff! I was interviewed last month so I am hoping to hear back soon.

I also interviewed a few weeks ago at Jeff but haven't heard back (maybe we met??). Are you doing anything to follow up? I think it's been a long enough amount of time that its weird that I haven't heard anything. I'm not sure how to follow up about it though.

Well I only applied to temple in the philly area otherwise and when I visited temple I really didn't like the location. I also was accepted to Pitt and Ohio State but I just had a really great gut feeling about Jeff when I visited. I liked the area, the campus, and the professors I met. I also liked that we start fieldwork the first semester and have a lot of hands on opportunities to have a variety of FW's - for example I was able to work with a refugee and her family at her home, run mental health groups at a veterans center, and collaborate with industrial designers to create a totally new product for a client in the community. It's been awesome! I basically only heard good things about the program and the education we would receive. It has a good reputation for a reason. Plus I got a scholarship and a graduate assistant position, so I was sold! Let me know if you have any other questions.
When did you hear back about your graduate assistantship, out of curiosity? And do you know if most people who were interested got one or work study? Thanks!

Hi! There's an app you'll fill out to apply for a graduate assistant - that was around May and then we found out in July. I'm not positive if everyone who applied got one but I want to say most of us did. And I'm not sure about the work study process because that's separate from our department. I recommend grad assistant because you'll be working with OT professors on their projects and it's really great to be involved with that. I learned a lot!