Jello better than Honey

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

krabmas

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
PODIATRIC RESEARCH
Medical Grade JELL-O® Superior to Honey for Wound Healing: Georgetown Study

A randomized, double-blind investigative study conducted by Drs. John Steinberg and April Furst at the Georgetown University Limb Center has concluded that JELL-O® is superior to honey in healing diabetic ulcers. Subjects with chronic non-healing ulcers were randomly selected for this study. One half of the patients had honey applied to their wounds and the other half had JELL-O® applied. Clinically, significant improvements in healing could be measured in 45 of 49 patients who received JELL-O® versus only 38 of 49 patients receiving honey treatments (p < .0001).

Dr. John S. Steinberg

While this study has created quite a stir, Steinberg cautioned that although this unique therapy shows great promise, it is not fool-proof and that more research is needed. According to Steinberg, the discovery of the efficacy was a result of an accident. “One of our patients reported spilling their JELL-O® dessert on an ulcer, which had previously been non-responsive to traditional therapy. Surprisingly, the wound began to gel.”

Medical Grade JELLO ®

Interestingly enough, Steinberg found that the result also varied according to which flavor was used. The best results were achieved with grape flavor and the poorest results with lemon-flavored JELL-O®.

For a demonstration of Dr. Steinberg’s application technique, click here.

For further information, contact Bill Cosby

Source: April Fools News [4/1/08]

Members don't see this ad.

Well, the next time I'm at the park and some guy/girl sit next to me and have huge chronic non-healing ulcers, I'm going to accidently drop some of my grape flavored jello right on top of their ulcers like a mistake. I'll tell them to leave it on for a day and then call me the next morning. See what happens?

Members don't see this ad :)
PODIATRIC RESEARCH
Medical Grade JELL-O® Superior to Honey for Wound Healing: Georgetown Study

A randomized, double-blind investigative study conducted by Drs. John Steinberg and April Furst at the Georgetown University Limb Center has concluded that JELL-O® is superior to honey in healing diabetic ulcers. Subjects with chronic non-healing ulcers were randomly selected for this study. One half of the patients had honey applied to their wounds and the other half had JELL-O® applied. Clinically, significant improvements in healing could be measured in 45 of 49 patients who received JELL-O® versus only 38 of 49 patients receiving honey treatments (p < .0001).

Dr. John S. Steinberg

While this study has created quite a stir, Steinberg cautioned that although this unique therapy shows great promise, it is not fool-proof and that more research is needed. According to Steinberg, the discovery of the efficacy was a result of an accident. “One of our patients reported spilling their JELL-O® dessert on an ulcer, which had previously been non-responsive to traditional therapy. Surprisingly, the wound began to gel.”

Medical Grade JELLO ®

Interestingly enough, Steinberg found that the result also varied according to which flavor was used. The best results were achieved with grape flavor and the poorest results with lemon-flavored JELL-O®.

For a demonstration of Dr. Steinberg’s application technique, click here.

For further information, contact Bill Cosby

Source: April Fools News [4/1/08]

Is this the same guy who once stated that the "probe to bone" test is a good option for diagnosing Osteomyelitis?

I find it amazing that things that have been around forever have medical benefit that escapes the most experienced practitioners for years. It shows how little we really know about the human body.
It will be interesting to see what it is in the jell-o that does it.

This was posted on Podaitry Today on April 1st. April Fools.

I thought for sure people would get that.

And the probe to bone test holds water especially in an infected ulcer. If the wound is clean and has truly never been infected and it is well vascularized then the probe to bone is not as useful.