Jesuit School Influences

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pastamahn

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is a stretch or not, but I'll ask it anyways. There are multiple Jesuit med schools I am thinking about applying to, and I was wondering whether talking about attending a private Catholic school (kindergarten through 8th grade) and the effects it had would be a good talking point at some point in secondaries or interviews?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if this is a stretch or not, but I'll ask it anyways. There a multiple Jesuit med schools I am thinking about applying to, and I was wondering whether talking about attending a private Catholic school (kindergarten through 8th grade) and the effects it had would be a good talking point at some point in secondaries or interviews?
They love catholic school kids.

Reactions: 1 users
Just my two cents, coming from a lifer Catholic school kid (pre-K through undergrad).

I think that it would be viewed as a positive, but only if done right. I feel like some students (I know lots of them do this when applying to Catholic undergrad schools) take a tone that almost sounds like: "I'm a Catholic school kid, so I'm better than public school kids, right?" Be sure to read everything you write and make sure that you talk about the prospect of a Jesuit school as exciting to you given your background, and not something you're more entitled to given your background.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Just my two cents, coming from a lifer Catholic school kid (pre-K through undergrad).

I think that it would be viewed as a positive, but only if done right. I feel like some students (I know lots of them do this when applying to Catholic undergrad schools) take a tone that almost sounds like: "I'm a Catholic school kid, so I'm better than public school kids, right?" Be sure to read everything you write and make sure that you talk about the prospect of a Jesuit school as exciting to you given your background, and not something you're more entitled to given your background.
I definitely agree there is a very specific way you have to approach the topic. I guess what I was thinking was talking about how attending a Catholic school shaped who I was, and then connecting that to a Jesuit school.

I definitely agree there is a very specific way you have to approach the topic. I guess what I was thinking was talking about how attending a Catholic school shaped who I was, and then connecting that to a Jesuit school.
They'd likely love that. One of the biggest philosophies of Catholic schools is that Catholic schooling doesn't just give you knowledge, it shapes the type of person you become. If you write about how Catholic schooling shaped your morals and life outlook and then explained how this related to their medical school, you'd probably be just the type of student they were looking for.

Funny, I felt like the folks at Georgetown were tripping over themselves apologizing for the school's Catholic affiliation.
I feel like they shouldn't be apologizing about something that is so central to what the school is about :eyebrow:

The Jesuits have a certain focus that is totally ingrained in their teaching. LizzyM gave a good link to learn about it. It is truly their philosophical focus so just talking about going to Catholic School for 12+ years might not be all that impressive. Although I'm sure lots of their students do come from a heavily Catholic educated background. The Jesuits are a different breed. Pope Francis is a Jesuit.

The Jesuits have a certain focus that is totally ingrained in their teaching. LizzyM gave a good link to learn about it. It is truly their philosophical focus so just talking about going to Catholic School for 12+ years might not be all that impressive. Although I'm sure lots of their students do come from a heavily Catholic educated background. The Jesuits are a different breed. Pope Francis is a Jesuit.
Thanks for the info! I wasn't thinking about only talking about my Catholic school experience, but was just wondering whether it was worth bringing up, and to what degree.

Yes of course bring it up. Read up on Cura Personalis and see if you can tie your experiences into some of that focus. Good Luck.

I plan to bring this up as a reason that community service is so ingrained in me. Probably for some non Jesuit schools too.