JHU, Goucher, Bryn Mawr, Columbia, NYU or Harvard Extension Program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Katieeee117

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

Looking to apply to the post bacc programs at the schools listed above. Really wanted to know which school others had opinions on (such as acceptance rate, class sizes, ability to get an A, and overall information). I have done research on all 6 but still can not tell which program I could get the A in and which would get me into a top ranking medical school (I hear iffy things about Harvard Extension yet wonder if the fact that its still a part of Harvard holds any strength to medical schools). All appear to be great programs. Thank you! :D

Members don't see this ad.

I don't imagine the Harvard name has any weight coming from HES, unless maybe the person looking at application doesn't know what it is and doesn't investigate. HES is difficult, but one thing to keep in mind is that it's basically open enrollment. This means that the average student is almost certainly not as strong academically as the average student at one of the highly competitive formal post-bacs. So when someone whines about a test and points out that the class average was a 60, it's probably safe to assume that the average on the same test given at Bryn Mawr probably would have been a good bit higher.

Wherever you go, your classes are going to be challenging. A's are not guaranteed at any school and you may not want a "easy" class that doesn't prepare you for the MCAT or medical school. Beware of the post bac programs that boast 100% acceptance rates as they accept students who are going to succeed no matter where they attend. Some factors you may want to consider that can influence how you do in the post bac: location, class schedule, class size, cost, etc.

Hello All,

Looking to apply to the post bacc programs at the schools listed above. Really wanted to know which school others had opinions on (such as acceptance rate, class sizes, ability to get an A, and overall information). I have done research on all 6 but still can not tell which program I could get the A in and which would get me into a top ranking medical school (I hear iffy things about Harvard Extension yet wonder if the fact that its still a part of Harvard holds any strength to medical schools). All appear to be great programs. Thank you! :D