Job advice for current fellow?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DJF688

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a current fellow who has started looking for pain jobs in private practice. I have an offer, but maintain some concerns about it. I turned to my program director and assistant program director, but both say they have never been to private practice and can't really help me. They referred me to a few recent graduates for advice, but none of them will give me the time of day. If anyone out there would be kind enough to offer their advice over P.M., I would greatly appreciate it.

Members don't see this ad.

I am a current fellow who has started looking for pain jobs in private practice. I have an offer, but maintain some concerns about it. I turned to my program director and assistant program director, but both say they have never been to private practice and can't really help me. They referred me to a few recent graduates for advice, but none of them will give me the time of day. If anyone out there would be kind enough to offer their advice over P.M., I would greatly appreciate it.

Nice guys.

1. Comb this forum for new graduate advice. Much has already been posted.

2. Look at a diversity of practices in widely varying locations, according to your own tolerances. Realize there are significant benefits to living somewhat off the grid, and you will pay up to practice in a major population center.

3. Look for practices that have their act together. If the partner you speak to on the phone sounds disorganized, the practice is as well.

4. Always spend a day visiting any practice you are serious about. Watch the partners do procedures. See how everyone interacts. You may not be comfortable with the way some guys expect you to practice pain medicine.

5. Assess the role of midlevels in the practice, and their relationship with the doctors.

6. Assess the emphasis placed on prescribing in relation to your tolerances. Are referring doctors offended, or happy when you won't rx narcs to a drugged out bum?

7. Assess the community which you plan to move to. Is it sustainable for your home and social life?

8. Assess the assets of the practice. Is their fluoro ancient such that you can barely see dye spread to do a safe injection? Are there expensive items that may need to be replaced with you helping foot the bill? Which EMR do they use, if any? You will be using this system every day, and upgrading is expensive. Make sure you are comfortable with the EMR. Don't expect community practice level EMRs to approach Epic or whatever your large institution uses (if it has a robust EMR).

9. Assess your contract- there should be ample details already posted in the forum to help you figure out if the deal is fair.

Good luck!

I completely agree with the above post. I also think it is important to find out how much of the yearly operating costs you are going to have to pay. Are you expected to pay these costs prior to being a partner or after you are a partner? Is it a total "eat what you kill" practice or are you guaranteed some sort of base salary with a percentage on top.

Also, who is the primary referral source? Is it mainly surgeons or PCP's? I think the best setup is a mix of both. And know about the prescribing patterns in the group. Is it a practice that is primarily medical management or is it a "block shop". Once again, ideally you want a mix of both but if you go into a group that does mainly medication management and you are not used to that, you may be in for a shock.

Good luck and feel free to PM me with any questions.

Members don't see this ad :)
Agree with the great posts above

I'm only 1 year out so what went right/wrong in my search is pretty fresh in my mind.

Priority #1 imho: what is the opioid policy/protocols for where you are going? this can make/break everything else and will also act as a litmus test for many other factors.

Where I am now, I was told- 'no opioids', apparently no one told the PCPs b/c they were a little pissed at first, things have settled down. To do it over I would have met with some area PCPs during recruitment when everyone is kissing your ass and giving you anything you want.

Also, if they don't put it in writing assume the opposite is true from what they are telling you. "you won't ever be on call" = "you are always on call" :)

I highly agree with trying to set up a meeting and shadow one of the docs. Comb the forums as suggested. Go to society or dinner meetings around the area if you can.

One thing I found useful was talking to the stim reps in that area. They usually have the scoop on these practices since they frequent so many of them. They may hear of openings or know what the politics are at a practice.

I was not very open-minded about private practices when I was in fellowship and had to re-train myself when I was looking for jobs. I still am very skeptical about many private practices, but I think the main things are to be thorough in your assessment and be true to yourself.

Thanks for the advice guys, this certainly is a process...

This has been posted before too, but ask how the payors break down. For instance, if it's 50% medicaid and 50% work comp, you may want to pass.