Job hunt

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DO chooser

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there any truth to the rumor of poor job placement for graduating pathologists? Path sounds like a perfect career for me, but this rumor makes me nervous. Has anyone heard this before and what might it stem from? I wont be practicing for another eight years, but I want to have an idea of what I want to do as soon as possible.

Good luck to you all.

Mark

Members don't see this ad.

Path has always been a "tight" job market. Being a pathologist isn't exactly like being a podiatrist or chiropractor, but there are probably more < 100k pathology positions out there than in any other field. What makes it tough is that sometimes groups hire associates at around 100k and then just keep them in associate positions. Then after a few years it's much easier to just find a new associate at 100k than actually making a current associate partner and distributing the compensation more evenly.

If you want to be a slide monkey for a large group(or even really large lab) then thats fine, but you are going to work hard and the compensation isn't going to be big. Another aspect to the field is that many people outside of medicine won't really think of you as an MD. Many people don't care about this though.

Look at the numbers. There is a reason why something like 55% of all practicing pathologists in this country are IMG's. That's not to say it can't be a great field for certain people, but if it had the same appeal as other specialties from a money and time standpoint, it would not be 55% IMG. That's just common sense.

I'm not a medical student(chiro obviously) but both my parents are pathologists. Interestingly, the rest of my family are chiros, so we either pick one or the other and I picked the other.

Not to be contradictory, but none of the people leaving my residency at least in the last few years has had any problems finding jobs and they have never taken jobs making less than $100,000. And, though I have heard stories of partnerships that let their associates go prior to partnership that is the exception not the norm.

As for people outside of medicine not thinking of us as MDs, heck many people outside of medicine think chiropractors are all scam artists. But, we know that is not true and most of us go into the field because we enjoy it immensely not because of the public perception.

There was a terrible job crunch in the early-mid 1990s that pathology just cannot live down. Many outside of pathology remember that time and cannot get over it. Even though the reality is even in the worst of times the unemployment rate for pathologists would be no where near that of the general population. Everyone in the graduating class of last year that didn?t want a fellowship had jobs by January. One took a job making over 130k for 4 days a week; another over 160k and one went academics so he is making around 100k. I can?t say if for sure if FMGs have a harder time overall, they may in the private practice world.

There are many reasons that path is not as competitive as other specialties. The job market history is one. Others include the big primary care push of the recent years; the fact that most medical students do not have any required rotations in pathology so never really see what the job is like; pathology has not recently had the public glamour as has ER or surgery (though that has changed to some extent with CSI, lots of people interested in forensics lately); the fact that we had a 5 year residency (just recently back to 4 years). Money in pathology is good compared to most specialties; sure there are others in which more money can be made. But how many have the hours and lifestyle that pathology offers? Anesthesia and radiology maybe.

Pathology Positions Offered/US Matched/Total Matched
.............1999..............................2000.........................2001
Offered.....US....Total
344..........148.... 281......... 335....127...246....... 383...170...312

These are the numbers from the match over the last few years. Pathology is getting renewed interest. Right at 60% of the match were US grads. Compare that to 42% for Family Practice, 55% for IM, 74% for Anest; I think we are doing ok.

If you love path do it, the job will work out. Even if you have to work a bit to find a good position in the long run you should do what you love.

How about Mindy and some of the others that are actually in residency telling about how their graduating class did in the job market this last year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,

In another thread, I think a poster claims that a graduating resident got an offer for $150,000 for two years, then partnership at $300,000-$400,000.

As far as I'm concerned, I consider this excellent money.

Obviously, there is no verification of this claim. Does anyone know if this type of offer is common for graduating pathologists?

Is an offer like this more common in certain regions of the country? Is it typical of the Northeast?

Thanks.

Generally partnership is 3 to 5 years, but that offer would not be unheard of if the really wanted him.

Pumpkin, there is nothing wrong with being contradictory. Without that, forums wouldn't be any good :)

Someone who has just completed a residency would be in a better position to provide information, but I'll relate the story of my parents for those interested. They are both american and from california. Both did not get into UC schools and both went to ross in 1980(they were married at the time. I was a toddler when they went but did not make the trip with them).

They both did pretty well on their boards. Not great but above average. My mom took a residency position in path and my dad started off in IM but hated it and later switched to path. Different residency programs but both were in the same city. Not top-notch academic leading type programs, but decent programs. My father did a fellowhip after residency(surg path). Now my mom works in a very small outpatient pathology group(3 paths total) and my dad is employed by a hospital system. He makes a little more than the national average listed in pathology surveys and she makes a little less. He also works more than her though. They both seem to enjoy their career.

Were they unable to make 250-350k as a partner like everyone says is common because they were IMG's?? I really doubt that had anything to do with it. They are both american, speak perfect english, and fit in well everyone. The fact that they were IMG's certainly limited their options in academic medicine, but they weren't interested in this anyway. I really don't think the private pracice community of pathologists(which is half IMG anyway) cared that they were IMG. All they were concerned about was how well/efficiently they could perform. If they had been IMG's of indian/eastern european/arab ethnicity then I could see the argument that their IMG status really held them back, but they don't believe it has been a factor and I'm inclined to believe them. And yet they never approached this 300k figure that is commonly thrown around. The published salary numbers also don't come close to this number. I'm sure there are paths making 300k, but they clearly don't represent the typical pathologist.

You point out that 60% of matching students last year were US grads. Wouldn't that mean that of all the specialties, path would have the third highest ratio of matching IMG's? (I'm not sure if psych would be greater or less). From my perspective, a field in which 4/10 residents are non-US grads is just not competitive. Not that there is anything wrong with a field not being competitive, but let's not pretend that it is when 40% of recent matches are IMG. Ultra-competitive fields like ortho, derm, urology, and opth. have less than 3% IMG matches. Competitive fields like EM and radiology may have slightly higher numbers of IMGs matching, but it's still an unrealistic dream for most IMGs to match into this field. A more realistic dream is for an IMG to get a categorical surg spot, obgyn, or anesth. I don't have the exact %'s of categorical surg and obgyn, but I'm pretty sure the IMG % is less than 1/4. The finally, you have the easy matches for IMG's....psych, path, and community IM/FP programs. Heck even a highly ranked program like UNC has a few IMG's, including a US IMG from AUC. Maybe pathology will one day make a big swing and become competitive(look what happened in radiology and radonc), but to do so I think salaries will have to come way up. If the salaries stay where they are, the IMG% of matching students will always be high. I don't think it's possible to underestimate the role salary plays matching. For example:

1) Radonc salaries skyrocket. All of a sudden it went from an easy match to a very tough match.
2) Radiology salaries go high. Same thing as radonc.
3) OBGYN malpractice rates skyrocket and suddenly obgyn becomes less competitive.

Now it's common for a radiologist to make 300k. Now it's uncommon for an IMG to match. It's common for a pathologist to make 150k. Therefore it's easy for an IMG to match. The correlation between salaries and matching competitiveness is almost perfect.

The < 100k comments mainly refer to some forensics and gov't positions. I asked my parents and they also don't know of any private full-time path positions that pay < 100k, although they know of some that pay 110-130k.

I'm not trying to discourage anyone from pathology. If you love it and it's what will make you happy, then go for it. But if you want to be paid a lot, there are better fields. And if you want to work 40-48 hrs/week, there are also better fields(derm, pm&r, non-retina optho, maybe psych)

http://www.pohly.com/salary_path.shtml

Here is a the results of various salary surveys. These are median numbers. And, if you compare these to the other specialties we are pretty good. The surveys are a little old for my liking, but I don't have a link for anything more recent.

The recent match data just shows more than anything we are on the rise our percentage of US grads went up almost 10% even while adding 50 new positions. Sure there are alot of IMGs that are in path and path is not very competitive overall. Though many of the top programs are becoming much more competitive. We had double the number of US applicants this year compared to last. We interviewed only one FMG.

UNC though a great program is not really considered a "highly" ranked program, at least not by any residents I have spoken with. The ones that are in the Southeast include Emory, UVA and Hopkins. I would say UNC is much like my program a good mid-tier University based program with alot of regional attraction, but not quite as much National attraction as some of the others.

Back to the original topic. I would recommend calling or emailing the residency directors or chief residents at the programs you are interested in attending and talking to them about how their residents do upon completion. Nothing better than first hand accounts.

GP, Yeah there are lots of surveys out there. That's the highest I've ever seen for path. It's always hard to tell which ones to believe, but I tend to take that one with a grain of salt because their path avg salaries are similar to their urology average salaries. A urologist can make $1200 doing one thirty minute procedure after another.....can a pathologist make $1200/hr at the bench? I think in the next 25 years the trend is going to be more and more towards procedures paying the $$ and any non-procedural fields being left out. I think radiology is going to take a huge hit. I think oncology is going to take a hit. I think optho and obgyn will always remain strong because of the opportunity for procedures. Just my opinion though....I know lots disagree :)

As for UNC, my parents mentioned it as one of the better programs in the southeast. I didn't know it wasn't "prestigous". We were talking about programs and I had assumed duke was awesome and they said they actually thought UNC was more impressive. I guess that's why they have some IMGs. I went to the Emory page and they don't have more than 1 IMG(and they don't appear to be US carrib grads)

The trends from the searching I've done seemed to be the top programs having no or very few IMG's the mid-tier university programs having a mixture of AMG's and IMG's, and I guess other programs are mainly IMG??? I haven't really been able to identify what is a bad program though?

I guess in this way it is similar to IM. At top IM programs there are hardly no IMGs. Then at mid-tier uni programs you see a mixture. And at community programs of course you see a majority IMG.

Would you say there are any bad pathology programs out there that don't prepare their residents for general private practice pathology? Are there many community path programs?

There are some community programs and some very small University programs.

I wouldn't say these programs are bad, but they surely would not have the opportunities for teaching, variety of specimens, etc...that a larger program would have. If someones goal is to be a general community path doc (like me), these programs would work in a pinch, but they shouldn't be anyones main choice. If someone was looking to do a competitive subspecialty like dermpath, cytopath, hemepath then it would be much harder coming from a small or community based program.

I don't disagree about proceedures, they always pay better than most else. I know it varies from place to place, but here we do a ton of proceedures. We do all the bone marrow biopsies in the hospital, all the FNAs and we have a busy apheresis unit. As for the non-proceedural things we do I guess I can only hope that the rates do not drop dramatically and that the new things we are doing new immunohistochemical stains, molecular diagnostics, etc will pay well.

Duke is a good program, but there is a general feeling that they have a more "militaristic, stuffy" enviornment. The also had some leadership changes recently from what I hear. So who knows if perception is reality.

Yep, I would say that is about right the Top schools will have only a few FMGs if any. The mid-tier will have a mix, but recently alot fewer. Certain areas of the country too will have different mixes due to their desirablility (ie..everyone wants to go to Cali for some dang reason hehe).

Originally posted by spinestudent
The < 100k comments mainly refer to some forensics and gov't positions.

I'm currently in a predoctroal fellowship in the Pathology department at the NIH, and to my knowlegde the only pathologist making <100K are postdocs. While it may be true that the startingsalaries for pathologists are <100k, my guess is that within 3-5 years, they can easily earn over 100K.

As for the reputation of UNC, I finished my Master's there a few years back and I have to agree with GP about UNC's Path rep. As for the "stuffiness" of the environment at Duke, I personally found that to be true and unfortunately at Hopkins as well. It seems the words "stuffy" and "top program" go hand in hand.:laugh:

thanks for all the helpful information, this post is pretty interesting.

another thing you all have to remember is that just like any other medical field, *location* plays a huge part in salary.

i readily know of a few pathologists making around $250-$300K per year, but are situated in smaller cities with a greater demand for Pathologists. The ones i know in the bigger cities (Chicago, NYC, etc...) make less money, but also are compensated with opportunities to teach and other possibilities.

Personally, i think it depends how much you are after money...if you WANT it, then there are ways of pursuing things like money....you will have opportunities to accomplish that.

but to enjoy the field you will be entering can (as Visa/Mastercard says) be PRICELESS.

cheers

How is the NIH pathology program? Is it hard to get in? How many years of training does it require? Are you happy there? Or, could you send me a PM about the situation there? Thanks a lot.

I have to pipe in with all the talk on UNC. Regardless of the reputation--which I think should be better than your discussion leads one to believe--it is an excellent program. I have done an elective there in surg path and the attendings are excellent, the residents are high quality, down to earth, and motivated. The facility is brand spankin' new and the program director is super friendly. You may find IMG's there, but none in the last couple of years if that matters to you. I think people are mislead by the idea that Chapel Hill/Carrboro is a southern small town of basketball fans. Small, sure, but there is a great music scene and vital cultural community.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by hayixie
How is the NIH pathology program? Is it hard to get in? How many years of training does it require? Are you happy there? Or, could you send me a PM about the situation there? Thanks a lot.

having briefed through the NIH site, it seems that they only have 3 positions available for 1st year Path. It seems logical that they prefer people with research/publications. Since the NIH revolves around that sort of goal oriented studying/researching I would imagine that is what they like to see.

Has anyone applied to the NIH in previous years? Pumpkin? Mindy?

cheers

Sorry I don't know anything much about the NIH.

>>The facility is brand spankin' new and the program director is >>super friendly. You may find IMG's there, but none in the last >>couple of years if that matters

UNC currently has 6 IMGs(about 30% of the program). Some american(AUC, SGU) and some from india/pakistan. Since they only appear to take 5 or so each year, it's highly unlikely that all 6 of these IMGs are 4th/5th year.

Look at some of the unmatched spots this year in university programs: Yale, gtown, tulane, MCG, LSU(3 spots), 3 SUNY spots, WashU, 2 OSU spots, Baylor, Utah, EVMS, Wisconsin. There are other university programs(not at branch hospitals) which also didn't fill all of their spots.

I suppose it's possible that a few of these programs just made the mistake of not ranking enough people, but not most of them. And perhaps a few AMGs ended up scrambling into a few of these programs, but how many AMGs interested in pathology actually end up scrambling? Maybe a few who wanted rads and had path as a backup? It would be interesting to see what happened to these 43 unmatched slots, but my guess would be that many of them stayed unmatched or went to IMGs who didn't get anesthesiology and had to scramble for path. And that's not counting the 4/10 path slots that went to IMGs in the match. Texas tech's pathology program is over 60% IMG. I would guess that they don't rank highly compared to other programs, but it's clear that anyone with who has a very basic command of the English language and has passed step 1, step 2, and the CSA/TOEFL can get into that program.

Perhaps there will be some new techniques with high $$$ reimbursement that will make path competitive.

Originally posted by spinestudent
Look at some of the unmatched spots this year in university programs: Yale, gtown, tulane, MCG, LSU(3 spots), 3 SUNY spots, WashU, 2 OSU spots, Baylor, Utah, EVMS, Wisconsin. There are other university programs(not at branch hospitals) which also didn't fill all of their spots.

As a person that wants to pursue pathology, I think I'd be more concerned if there were more applicants than slots.

I've also found that pathologists are some of the nicest and easiest to work with of all physicians I've come in contact with. There's something special about working with people that aren't motivated primarily by money that makes for a REAL pleasant working environment:D

Regardless of compensation (though I think people who think that pathologists are eating out of garbage cans are somewhat foolish), pathology is the greatest specialty of all. I cannot think of a better reason to go into pathology than if you agree with this statement.

I think that the spine student's parents are jaded about the field. Maybe they only pursued it because it was "easy" for them to obtain because of their IMG status, versus other "hard" fields they really wanted to be a part of."

In any case, regardless if you are making 100k, or 300K, to be able to situate oneself at the crux of science and medicine is amazing. Being able to look at a sliver of tissue and be able to recite the life and abuses of its owner is amazing to me.

I am sorry your folks are so jaded by the field, spine student. Maybe they never really wanted to be pathologists.

Mindy

Originally posted by Mindy
Regardless of compensation (though I think people who think that pathologists are eating out of garbage cans are somewhat foolish), pathology is the greatest specialty of all. I cannot think of a better reason to go into pathology than if you agree with this statement.

yey! i *am* meant to be a pathologist! :D

how's your TT doing?

Originally posted by JPFL75
how's your TT doing?

lol. it's doing fantastic! do i know you in real life??

I just thought I would ring in .....

I know a pathologist (just happens to be a relative) that has made between 700K - 1,000,000.00 in the past 5 years (that is each year). So don't discount pathology, the money is there, they just keep it quiet. It is all about what you like!

LUX

some of you all may find this interesting...my friend just finished her residency in peds in chicago. she said that starting salaries for peds in chicago range from 80k to 100k. she got a hospitalist job making 120k for 8 24h shifts per month.

Even worse is a surgical resident who started at 90K working for a large hospital here in Chicago!