Job hunting in California

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pjrp

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've just moved to the San Francisco Bay Area from London. I'm a psychologist by trade and have begun a job hunt here. I've contacted many recruiters on LinkedIn, but no response. I've applied for quite a few jobs too but haven't heard back from any yet. I've gone by the book in my applications- tailoring it to the job description, selling my work experience in the UK, contacting professional bodies in California etc. I have permision from the Board of Psychology to apply for Psychological Assistnats posts, to accrue SPE, which I've highlighted on my CV. I'd really like help to know:

1. Is there some sort of time frame I can expect to hear within? Like with most job applicants, it's the wait that's antagonizing.
2. Is there anything else I can/should do to improve my chances? I've used JobScan on my resume and apparently I'm hitting between a 95-97% match on the jobs I'm applying for! I still haven't heard anything back, is there something I'm doing wrong?
3. What is the typical salary paid to psych assistants? I've applied for many kaiser posts, but cannot find salary information anywhere online.

Your thoughts would be much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I've just moved to California from London. I'm a psychologist by trade and have begun a job hunt here. I've contacted many recruiters on LinkedIn, but no response. I've applied for quite a few jobs too but haven't heard back from any yet. I've gone by the book in my applications- tailoring it to the job description, selling my work experience in the UK, contacting professional bodies in California etc. I have permision from the Board of Psychology to apply for Psychological Assistnats posts, to accrue SPE, which I've highlighted on my CV. I'd really like help to know:

1. Is there some sort of time frame I can expect to hear within? Like with most job applicants, it's the wait that's antagonizing.
2. Is there anything else I can/should do to improve my chances? I've used JobScan on my resume and apparently I'm hitting between a 95-97% match on the jobs I'm applying for! I still haven't heard anything back, is there something I'm doing wrong?
3. What is the typical salary paid to psych assistants? I've applied for many kaiser posts, but cannot find salary information anywhere online.

Saturated market. You are one of many.

Southern California is one of the worst possible job markets in the USA for anyone in the psychology field. Only so much illness to go around, so many people that have the time and money for treatment, so many providers to see this group, all in one of the most desirable locations in the USA. Disheartening, but true.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've just moved to the San Francisco Bay Area from London. I'm a psychologist by trade and have begun a job hunt here. I've contacted many recruiters on LinkedIn, but no response. I've applied for quite a few jobs too but haven't heard back from any yet. I've gone by the book in my applications- tailoring it to the job description, selling my work experience in the UK, contacting professional bodies in California etc. I have permision from the Board of Psychology to apply for Psychological Assistnats posts, to accrue SPE, which I've highlighted on my CV. I'd really like help to know:

Definitely a bit of a saturated market, but good opportunities can be head with patience and looking in the right places. I'd recommend getting on listservs for various county psych associations for some leads.

Regarding the Kaiser salary question you posed, last I heard their psych assistant positions start at around 90k, licensed staff around 110-115k or so for full-time (40 hr) positions. Most psych assistant positions in CA are lower than this however.

Definitely a bit of a saturated market, but good opportunities can be head with patience and looking in the right places. I'd recommend getting on listservs for various county psych associations for some leads.

Regarding the Kaiser salary question you posed, last I heard their psych assistant positions start at around 90k, licensed staff around 110-115k or so for full-time (40 hr) positions. Most psych assistant positions in CA are lower than this however.

Thank you!