Job Hunting

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GoldfishPharmD

walking on a dream
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just curious to see if anyone else is job hunting while applying for residencies? I was thinking of waiting until after the match because I was worried of accepting an offer and backing out, but I'm kind of worried about not having a plan B. All of my friends have job offers, and I'm just worried I'll be stuck without a residency or a job by the time graduation rolls around. Any opinions?

Members don't see this ad.

I was just curious to see if anyone else is job hunting while applying for residencies? I was thinking of waiting until after the match because I was worried of accepting an offer and backing out, but I'm kind of worried about not having a plan B. All of my friends have job offers, and I'm just worried I'll be stuck without a residency or a job by the time graduation rolls around. Any opinions?

Know how you feel. I'm already thinking about getting ready for this year's post-match, and if I should apply for residency next year too.

If residency doesn't work out, the backup plan is to work retail/outpatient setting (If I can get one in my home state). *Trying to stay positive* :)

I would still job search and accept if offered. Chances are you may find out match results before you have to make a decision about the job. If not, you can back out of the job later if you match and residency is really what you want to do. I accepted a position the November before I graduated and chose residency instead in March. I also knew classmates who decided to not look for a job because they were so sure they'd match and ended up with no job nor residency.

Members don't see this ad :)
Okay Guys I have a dilemma. I just got an offer from a good retail company(some what tempted to accept), but then I am also applying for residencies. I didn't tell this company that I am interested in pursuing a residency and I feel like a fraud. Do I do a full disclosure now before I accept the offer? or do I just accept it knowing there are no guarantees as far as residencies are considered. In a perfect world I would love a residency with a prn job at this retailer. Do I let them know I would like a part time job if I do a residency? Suggestions please. :confused:

Okay Guys I have a dilemma. I just got an offer from a good retail company(some what tempted to accept), but then I am also applying for residencies. I didn't tell this company that I am interested in pursuing a residency and I feel like a fraud. Do I do a full disclosure now before I accept the offer? or do I just accept it knowing there are no guarantees as far as residencies are considered. In a perfect world I would love a residency with a prn job at this retailer. Do I let them know I would like a part time job if I do a residency? Suggestions please. :confused:

Just accept it. They have plenty of other candidates so they'll find someone else if you back out.

Just accept it. They have plenty of other candidates so they'll find someone else if you back out.

Agreed. I have a few friends that did the same thing. Just know you will probably burn that bridge if you match and subsequently sever the contract.

As of yet, I have accepted Two different job offers, These job offers are NON-Binding... so what is the hurt in having back-ups? so I would say accept them. And if you were to get a residency, Respectfully decline.

As of yet, I have accepted Two different job offers, These job offers are NON-Binding... so what is the hurt in having back-ups? so I would say accept them. And if you were to get a residency, Respectfully decline.

The problem with excepting offers in this fashion is that these people will remember that you accepted, then backed out of a job (regardless of their non-binding nature as you say) next time you apply for a job with them. Never forget pharmacy is small world and people talk (for better or worse).

Jesus I can understand accepting 1 as back up, but 2? lol I guess u r highly desired haha be careful about burning the bridge with 2 places tho

The problem with excepting offers in this fashion is that these people will remember that you accepted, then backed out of a job (regardless of their non-binding nature as you say) next time you apply for a job with them. Never forget pharmacy is small world and people talk (for better or worse).

every1 says that, but with all the new pharmacy school popping up, how small of a world will pharmacy be in a few years? lol

I decided to start job hunting this month. I really really do not want to graduate without a residency or a job.

Yeah but we don't give two sh*ts if you backed out of a retail contract to come to hospital...in fact we'd understand.

but...if that person wanted to moonlight, they're probably blacklisted from that company they broke ties with.

I don't think another chain would care, though. And the further you get away from that contract break, it doesn't matter. You weren't fired/dismissed, you exercised your right to terminate, it won't show up on a background check, etc...

Just be smart about it.

I decided to become a little more serious with job searching. I've gotten a few residency interviews, but interviews don't equal matching. I'm putting in apps and talking to people for jobs, and I got a job interview soon. Going to keep putting in apps though, I of course want nothing more than a residency as it's something I've been working towards since Day 1 of pharmacy school, but I don't want to graduate empty handed.

Just updating that I was offered a job. It's really not want I want, and I'm still going to look for something better after my last interview (need to concentrate on that first).

Just updating that I was offered a job. It's really not want I want, and I'm still going to look for something better after my last interview (need to concentrate on that first).

Congratulations. A job is a job. I do hope you will get a residency thou. I am also looking for a job in case I don't get Match in the end. Can you share some of your experience in finding a job? did you email all the DM or call them? I am still new at networking.

While I agree with the posters above you should be totally professional, putting off a job search because of residency/fellowship interviewing is a bad idea and if you candidly asked most of the interviewers even they wouldn't reccomend it. I actually got my first job in pharma while interviewing with that same company for a fellowship at midyear. The job was the same position I would've been (potentially) brought on for after the fellowship, and no one held it against me for doing what I did. You could always just tell the retail DM, hey I got this residency I didn't expect to pan out and it's what I'm really passionate about, I'd love to put in some part-time hours (if possible) but I'm going to follow this path. No mature adult would hold that against you unless you flat out lied to them during the process.