Job interview at hospital tomorrow, what to wear?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

woodhorse22

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I have a job interview tomorrow for a phlebotomist/lab techician postion in the hospital's phelobotomy dept. The job involves blood collection, urinalysis, and other related functions. I like this job because it will give me the opportunity to work with my hands and interact with hospitalized patients and outpatients. What should I be wearing for this? The standard suit/tie combo? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,
I have a job interview tomorrow for a phlebotomist/lab techician postion in the hospital's phelobotomy dept. The job involves blood collection, urinalysis, and other related functions. I like this job because it will give me the opportunity to work with my hands and interact with hospitalized patients and outpatients. What should I be wearing for this? The standard suit/tie combo? Thanks

a rule of thumb is to dress better than the people you are interviewing with. i don't think you could go wrong by dressing up to much. go with the suit and tie.

Members don't see this ad :)
Dress shirt, tie, dress pants, dress shoes....

I think the suit would be a little overboard, but I'd wear slacks, a dress shirt, a tie, and dress shoes.

If it's not a "formal" desk job or professional interview, I'd say a suit is a bit overboard. Dress shirt and tie are perfect though.

Split it down the middle and dress business casual. When in doubt, dress formally. There is absolutely no shame in overdressing, especially for an interview.

Slacks and sport jacket, nix the tie.

$.02, but I tend to like that look more. Looks quite classy when done well and tends to set you apart a bit.

i went for 5 interviews last month
all for tech position
#1 a tee, jeans, chucks, didn't get the job
#2 a deep v see through tee (not on purpose), jeans, chucks, didn't get the job
#3 a suit, tie, etc got the job
#4 a sweater, track pants, running shoes didn't get the job
#5 bomber jacket, jeans, chuck --> will update you in a week

see a pattern?

I wear a suit by definition. If I get there and things are really relaxed, I take off the coat, and maybe even the tie.

I wore a suit to all my job interviews. Some cases I was super over-dressed, other cases I was about right, but I was glad each time that I wore it. As someone said, dress like the job you want to be in 10 years.

Also, I'm not sure if this applies, but even though I'm not right out of school, I look pretty young. I think the suit made me look a bit older and more seasoned...I think if you're straight out of college, it will give off a good impression.

a rule of thumb is to dress better than the people you are interviewing with. i don't think you could go wrong by dressing up to much. go with the suit and tie.

a human resource guy with the state department told me this. now i know you're not trying to be a diplomat, but the guy had been working in human resources (in and out of the state department) for like his whole career. i think he knows what he's talking about.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello,

Silly nOOb . . . wear a suit

so i dont really know work wear that well

is this considered business casual? or is this just a casual suit for anything...like weddings and stuff?

237065_fpx.tif

is this considered business casual? or is this just a casual suit for anything...like weddings and stuff?

237065_fpx.tif

If you see business casual think: no jeans or suits. AKA something in the middle. For guys this usually means button-down shirt and khakis or slacks.

I'd say go business causul for the hospital interview unless you're interviewing to become a physician or board member. Most hospital staff will either be wearing scrubs if they're clinicians or business causal if they are managers or administrators. The suit wouldn't hurt, but you may be a little over-dressed.

Lol, no this is not business casual. This look can be coined as metro sexual or uber sexual. :rolleyes:

ohh man......i actually have that suit. LOL

I wasnt sure what it was...so thats why i asked. :)

thats the kinda stuff they wear in entourage or nip/tuck.....except its versace. Hah

Dress shirt,pants, eye catching tie and nice pair of dress shoes.

And try not to bathe in cologne.

237065_fpx.tif

No, that's actually a suit, and based on the fit, more for the a cocktail party than anything professional. Also notice the completely interview-inappropriate "I have something for you in my pants" expression the model has.

Business casual is typically slacks and a coat of different colors or the regular suit getup without the coat.