Job interview question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psyx

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, long time lurker here and seeking some assistance related to an interview I have scheduled. I am scheduled for an in person interview out of state close to Christmas Eve and am wondering if it would be appropriate to request a phone interview instead (wasn't given this option initially). I am a new grad, and while I would like to attend in person, it is causing me some financial worries at this moment so close to the holidays despite initially trying to make it work. Flights + hotels + transportation would be required. Really don't want to ruin any opportunities that I have, but wondering if this would make it difficult for me to get a job offer.

Thanks for your anticipated input and wisdom.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Pretend that you're not you, and then read this while thinking that you have other applicants. I know it sucks but if it even gives you a 1% edge..

I know what you mean. There are some other variables here too, like that I currently live out of state and, if I was successful, would need time to move out of my place and move to a new city which would take time and could have me at a disadvantage too. The job is quite appealing but the location is something I'm unsure about. But I would like to still have an interview and have the best possible chance and decide later if given an offer. I'm just trying to weigh the pros and cons of possibly being out ~$700, but I guess there is no way to truly know.

Is it common for people to do this kind of thing out of pocket?

Members don't see this ad :)
If you don't ask to be compensated for the expenses, they won't offer it. If they won't reimburse then you have to ask yourself if it is worth it. I don't think it would be a good idea to try to change it to a phone interview. When I was hiring people it was an extra chore that I just wanted to get done and I didn't want to hire someone who would make more work for me even before they were hired by trying to change things up. Interview is already scheduled, then the person damn well better be there.

It really depends on what kind of a job it is, IMO. Random PP? Phone interview. Large institution? Show up. Outside of academia I am not sure if places will pay your travel costs.

Thanks for the advice. It is a hospital based job, not academia.

Thanks for the advice. It is a hospital based job, not academia.
Our hospital pays everything when we are recruiting docs and I don't think that is out of the ordinary. Whatever you do, don't allow them to treat you as "not a real doctor". It can be hard early on as you are still developing your professional identity so just be aware of it. For example, I would not want to work for a hospital where they won't allow anyone to call psychologists doctor. How they refer to you during the interview process will reveal a lot too.

Reactions: 1 user
If this is the psychiatry dept, and they aren't offering any reimbursement for travel, lodging, or food (when I bet they would extend this perk to any psychiatrist interviewing from out of state), you may want to see if this is an indication of the culture there.