job market...cont'd

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

docmani

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
how would you say the pm&r job market fairs as compared to say pathology and gas? anyone?

Members don't see this ad.

Both pathology and gas are hot and probably offer better income potential immediately after residency. I had no idea how much pathologists make while I was in medical school, and while I would miss the patient contact, it seems pretty cool--especially forensic pathology.

Gas is hot and gas-passers straight out of residency are routinely getting over 180K to join practices at the "associate" level. Gas is a very political specialty though and with the CRNA's and AA's and everyone else wanting to deliver anesthesia without actually attending medical school, the long term prospects for this field are still up in their air. Personally, I couldn't stand getting up that early...

If you are interested in Pain or Sports/Spine would Anesthesia or PM&R lead you down the road to the most job opportunities?

I still can't decide between the 2 - I want good training in procedures but I like the PM&R approach to pain. But I can't stand inpatient rehab unless it's ortho.

I think that PM&R would. You'll have to carefully research programs that emphasize procedural training and plan on a fellowship. There's no avoiding inpatient rehab---it's part and parcel of the field. It's like wanting to do anesthesia without wanting to start IV's.