Job market for anesthesiology-trained CCM docs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amLOLdipine

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a M4 and will be applying for the upcoming year's match. I'm interested in a few fellowship tracks after anesthesiology residency, one of them being CCM. In the hospitals in my area, the MICU is exclusively managed by IM-trained intensivists, and the SICUs seem to be managed by a mix of surgeons and anesthesiologists, with anesthesiologists probably being in the minority by a bit.

With that said, I'm curious as to how the job market is for an anesthesiology-trained intensivist. With a CCM fellowship under one's belt, will that person have a hard time finding a decent intensivist job that's not in the middle of nowhere? Your opinions/experiences would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Academic places are always looking. Private groups, like mine, that do a substantial amount of CC are not unheard of but will not be found in every place you look. Anesthesia CC has the problem of it not being paid as well as the OR. I do CC because i like CC. Why anesthesia over pulmonary or surgery, I dont think the other avenues to pursue CC matched my personality and professional aspirations.

I have written a lot about CC in the past, so if you search you'll see some more of my opinions.

Job market's the same for all anesthesiologists - piss poor.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll echo Seinfeld. The jobs in academics will pretty much always be there. You have to do some searching if you want a PP job. You may also have to decide: 100% CCM vs a split practice at same location vs 100% anesthesiology with locums CCM elsewhere for extra cash.

A lot of the PP places I applied to that had CCM mixed into the general practice were at AMC groups. That comes with its own set of issues that you should be aware of.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

So has anyone who has been practicing and went back to do a CCM fellowship (or any fellowship) regretted it?

Went back after 10 years and did a cardiac fellowship. Best career move I could've made. Turned down several jobs making more my first year out of fellowship than I was making as a full partner in a PP generalist group.

Went back after 10 years and did a cardiac fellowship. Best career move I could've made. Turned down several jobs making more my first year out of fellowship than I was making as a full partner in a PP generalist group.
No regrets at all. That year may have taken some years off my life though. My wife is a saint.

What do you think caused that huge difference? Was it having done a marketable fellowship period (e.g. think it'd be the same for peds - which I'll be doing in a month)? Or is it specifically that cardiac is in high demand?

In looking around, it does seem that fellowship trained (in anything really) people are getting better and more job offers than the generalists. I don't know that that's a good thing... but it seems to be the case nonetheless.

What do you think caused that huge difference? Was it having done a marketable fellowship period (e.g. think it'd be the same for peds - which I'll be doing in a month)? Or is it specifically that cardiac is in high demand?

In looking around, it does seem that fellowship trained (in anything really) people are getting better and more job offers than the generalists. I don't know that that's a good thing... but it seems to be the case nonetheless.

Combination of things- I think demand is regional; in my particular region of the country, people don't like our crappy winters and cardiac is in demand because hospitals are starting to require advanced TEE certification. That pool of people is small for now, and guys/gals that have been doing hearts but don't have the certification are being displaced because of these rules. I wish I could comment on Peds, but I don't know much about that market at all.

I will say, a surprising trend I'm seeing is the jobs that fellowship trained regional anesthesiologists are getting. I used to think that fellowship was a waste, but some of the guys I know doing them are landing some really sweet jobs. 500k plus with a good lifestyle. Still don't think I would do one, but maybe the start of a good trend for those docs?

I'm peds trained , 5+ years, and have a recent offer at NE PP gig, 3 years to partnership, and terrible $ for two years...only gig in that geographic region. So, Peds with experience isn't the answer. I think it's a combination of skill set and geography, the OL' supply and demand.