job market for general dentists 2015?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RNtoMD4sure

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I was just wanting to get a consensus on the jobs for general dentists right out of school now in 2015.

How are the job offers and locations. Did you have to fill out 100 applications and only received like 2 offers?

Did you have to do any kind of internship or residency before you could get your first job?

Members don't see this ad.

Someone else graduating this year may have a much better idea, but I had two friends graduate from two schools. One applied to metropolitan Los Angeles, 2 job offers out of seriously 100 applications lol, and this was with a strong network. Approximated pay $117K as a starting associate. Another one went to the boonies in Kentucky, estimated pay $149K as an associate + much cheaper cost of living. I guess it all depends on the area, with rural offering more favorable conditions than favorable metro like LA. Interested to see what other dentists have to say right now. I think salary and job saturation with dentistry is highly regional

Reactions: 1 user
Wait so these two friends of yours about when did they graduate and I assume they did not apply to 100 places LOL :) So this is in a private office right for someone else that owns their own dentistry business?

Someone else graduating this year may have a much better idea, but I had two friends graduate from two schools. One applied to metropolitan Los Angeles, 2 job offers out of seriously 100 applications lol, and this was with a strong network. Approximated pay $117K as a starting associate. Another one went to the boonies in Kentucky, estimated pay $149K as an associate + much cheaper cost of living. I guess it all depends on the area, with rural offering more favorable conditions than favorable metro like LA. Interested to see what other dentists have to say right now. I think salary and job saturation with dentistry is highly regional

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey,

After graduation can I work in a private practice and also work as a part time educator in a dental school? Is residency mandatory to teach in a dental school?

Wait so these two friends of yours about when did they graduate and I assume they did not apply to 100 places LOL :) So this is in a private office right for someone else that owns their own dentistry business?

The dentist in LA had a large network through dental school. It was a mixture of asking around his network and applying to different private practices. He probably asked around more people than applying. It is probably easier to ask than apply on paper also, so that 100 number doesn't seem too far fetched according to him. Both of these dentists now work for other dentists and started working after getting their license last year.

Mostly it's word of mouth. Some folks look up the school's classifieds.

For me, personally, all the offers I had were through networking and word of mouth. I really wanted to do a stout residency program, however, if the right job/mentorship came along, I decided that I'd jump on it and forego that year. Fortunately, that happened.

The largest offer I had was 160K (5 day work week) or 31% of collections, but it was corporate and a lot of medicaid, plus there was a decent restrictive covenant at all of offices so that took me out of owning where I'd like to be permanently.
The offer I accepted was 100k (4 day work week) base or 30% production. CE was covered, plus the owner was willing to mentor and loves to teach, which was very big sale for me. He does just about everything (implants, CEREC, molar endo, 3rd molar ext, etc) and is very well respected in the community. This opportunity seemed to offer the learning experience of a residency program without all the hoop jumping and without taking a big cut in pay.
Most offers I'm hearing from classmates coming straight out is around 120-150k.

Reactions: 4 users
Also keep in mind how much lab fees you are paying, and if you're an independent contractor or an employee.

Mentorship seems to be the X factor that I've heard is super important. You're still too wet behind the ears after dental school

I mean overall, how much of a difficulty are general dentists having finding their first decent job to at least begin paying their student loans?

So my question comes down to will I be able to grab some kind of a job to start paying the loans right out of school?

I mean overall, how much of a difficulty are general dentists having finding their first decent job to at least begin paying their student loans?

So my question comes down to will I be able to grab some kind of a job to start paying the loans right out of school?
Yes, absolutely. The more flexible you are with location , the easier it will be to find a job. The jobs in rural areas pay more than jobs in more metropolitan areas.

Oh I will be flexible at this point to the entire USA. This is what I suspected so as long as I can move I should find something decent.

Nursing is the same with RN jobs, but I can't keep changing states because then I will lose in state tuition for dental school and would have to wait 1 year just to become a resident of whatever state I am in.

Thanks so much for replying.

Yes, absolutely. The more flexible you are with location , the easier it will be to find a job. The jobs in rural areas pay more than jobs in more metropolitan areas.

Is it easier finding a job if one does an AEGD or GPR right out of dental school? Also would the pay be significantly higher or just a tiny bit higher or no change?

In most cases, it doesn't matter but it can't hurt. The pay will probably be the same too.

Hi All,

I was just wanting to get a consensus on the jobs for general dentists right out of school now in 2015.

How are the job offers and locations. Did you have to fill out 100 applications and only received like 2 offers?

Did you have to do any kind of internship or residency before you could get your first job?
Hi,

I manage a dental practice in Greenbelt Maryland and I need a General Dentist to work in my office. If you or someone you know is look for a General Dentist position, please email me your resume at [email protected]. I will be happy to set up an work interview date and time for you. Thanks

to add on what screwtape said, New Mexico/Arizona is desperate for dentists in rural areas. I was one of 8 applicants for a position at a IHS place in NM whereas I was one of 80 applicants for a corporate office position in Phoenix and San Diego