job market for general dentists in LA/NYC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pocarisweat

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
How saturated is job market for general dentists in NYC and Southern California, especially LA?
I have heard those are the most saturated areas with dentists but is it impossible to find a job and join the associates? or is it impossible to find a job even with a highly reduced pay?
I'm pretty sure there are already so many Korean dentist competing against each other, but by any chance would it be easy for a Korean dentist to find a job in LA or easy to open a clinic and target Korean patients?

Members don't see this ad.

How saturated is job market for general dentists in NYC and Southern California, especially LA?
I have heard those are the most saturated areas with dentists but is it impossible to find a job and join the associates? or is it impossible to find a job even with a highly reduced pay?
I'm pretty sure there are already so many Korean dentist competing against each other, but by any chance would it be easy for a Korean dentist to find a job in LA or easy to open a clinic and target Korean patients?

Go to LA.

Members don't see this ad :)
These are just my two cents and I have no concrete evidence to back up my opinion, but I do know that LA is heavily populated by Koreans (I know this because I have a relative who's Korean and lived there for a few years), so I'd imagine having a Korean dentist around would greatly benefit its residents. For instance, my Korean relative travels an hour away to another city just to see the closest Korean dentist because the communication between the doctor and patient is so much easier and ensures proper understanding. What I don't know is how the competition looks and how saturated Korean dentists are in LA. Why not just do a simple Google search of dentists in LA and figure out how many of them are Korean? Once you target those, see how far apart those practices are away from each other to determine its saturation.

Need more replies.
do you know if it's doable to work in those big cities? if possible, what is the pay difference like?

Need more replies.
do you know if it's doable to work in those big cities? if possible, what is the pay difference like?

Of course it is doable to work in these big cities. Google dentists in LA or NYC, and you will see that there are very many dentists doing it. Yes it is competitive and there are a lot of dentists in these areas, but there are also tons of people.

Don't expect to get paid 400, maybe, just maybe more than 500 a day. Finding jobs? I don't see that as a problem honestly. Getting paid well? Probably not. Opening your own clinic and targeting korean patients? just go take a look at koreatown. There is at least 1 dental office every block.

Don't expect to get paid 400, maybe, just maybe more than 500 a day. Finding jobs? I don't see that as a problem honestly. Getting paid well? Probably not. Opening your own clinic and targeting korean patients? just go take a look at koreatown. There is at least 1 dental office every block.

Thanks for your reply. I guess with a lower pay, finding job shouldn't be a problem. It must be very competitive with so many dentists, but do you think there's a problem with buying a dental office that's built and already has a patient pool? of course, there are a lot of factors that contribute to success/keeping the patients, such as good business skill, interaction with the patients.

IMO, I don't see much cons for buying an office that already has a patient pool except: 1) doing poor negotiation while buying 2) if many of those patients have insurance that reimburse poorly. Even then, you are saving money on attracting patients.

Guys what happens if someone grew up in LA, went to an OOS dental school, graduated with 350k+ in loans, and then wanted to move back home to practice dentistry? What type of financial situation would the person be in?