job market in Bay Area, CA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CCtroyman

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Good afternoon, I am a dental student in my 2nd year, exhausting but in good spirits.

here goes my story and question. my wife works in finance in the san francisco bay area who has been supportive both personally and financially, says it will difficult for her to find another job if I we were to move. I am aware that the SF bay is one of the more competitive areas for a newly minted dentist to work in.

So my question is will it be impossible to look for a 32-40 hr dental job in the SF area or I am better off doing a 2 off commute to the boonies? also with the salary does it stay at 80-100k for a while or does it gradually increase and if so, when? I ask because me and my wife want to get our financial planning going up and running.

thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

you can get a job in the bay area, plan to work for hygiene wages and not be able to pay back your loans. if you want to do any financial planning, you wouldn't live in the pay. Financial surviving=bay

you can get a job in the bay area, plan to work for hygiene wages and not be able to pay back your loans. if you want to do any financial planning, you wouldn't live in the pay. Financial surviving=bay

thanks for the reply. so I am looking at 60-70k before taxes? Does the salary increase year by year or will it take a while with 5+ years experience

Members don't see this ad :)
CC,
What kind of loans are you looking at?

CC,
What kind of loans are you looking at?

not sure if you mean amount of loans, but my fiance paid for first year, so I should have about $200,000 when I graduate.

does anybody I will get better responses from dentaltown?

Yeah, I would ask the question on d-town as well.

Silent Cool, I registered but apparently I dont know how to post a thread on their forums and their site seems less responsive than SDN. hopefully one of the currently practicing dentists can give us ranges and what to expect as a new dentist in CA.

I know for sure in some places that some dental hygienists make more than dental associates.