job market?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
W

WestIsBest

Just matched. Having not had a real mentor or home program, I don't know much about the job market for ENT right now and don't really have anyone I can ask (well, until July at least!).

I still would have applied for ENT either way, as that's what I wanted to do, but would someone be so kind as to give an overview of how things stand right now? Both for private practice and academics? What about traditionally saturated/competitive areas such as big cities and the west coast?

How much is dependent on where you do your residency? Is it hard to find jobs outside the region where you train, outside of where your connections are?

Of course, I realize this could and likely will change in 5-6 years by the time I'm done with residency. I've always heard that the small number of grads every year keeps the job market generally good, but it would be great to have more specifics. Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

The job market for ENT is generally very favorable for residency grads. Residency spots have been strictly limited for many years by the RRC, so thus there is a limited supply of board eligible ENTs coming out of training each year. Nationally, there is much more demand than there are new grads.

Now, there are heavily saturated markets where it may be tougher to find a job, but in general you are a highly desired commodity coming out of residency.

Also, don't forget you can always open a solo practice if all else fails. Of course, with the current trends in healthcare law, solo and smaller practices may become less viable over time.

Can you elaborate on this? I was hoping to open a practice or take over one from a retiree when I finish residency.

Good luck. With this upcoming CMS requirements for what needs to be in a note, a method for tracking your data, bundled payments and the like, it would be very challenging to be in solo practice. Talk to some of the ENTs in PP on here and they can tell you the challenges of running your own practice, which is all on you if you go solo, assuming you have no hospital support. And if you accept hospital support, there is always some string attached to it. Single speciality groups are great in the right market, but I'd have to defer to the PP people to go into the specifics.

As far as the job market - it is wide open now and likely in the near future. When I was looking at where to go, I called a few places I was interested in and they were all looking for someone. Finances and reimbursement varied widely, but you can worry about that as you get closer to your R4/5 year since things may be changing in the future anyway.

Once you are in residency and get into your mid-years, your graduating chiefs are an excellent resource for what is out there and the different types of practice models that may interest you. I found the faculty pretty open, too, although most wouldn't speak too much about academic salaries and relied more on telling me to look at MGMA data.