Job Negotiating

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BearDog

Journal Clubber
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently a PGY1 resident. The resident from last year, who stayed on just matched into a PGY2. I've been told the job is mine if I want it. I do, but was wondering if it would be appropriate to ask my coworkers what they make so I know where Im coming from when we talk about pay/benefits? I've always been told its impolite to ask such questions but feel it might be appropriate. What say you?

Members don't see this ad.

Check out glassdoor.com if you don't want to ask. I've found lots of great info on pay and benefits on there!

It depends on how much you know the person. I would be okay with someone who I knew decently, " I saw the average pharmacist in the area makes x. Do you make close to that?" The answer to that question will give you a general idea. Most hospitals don't have much room to negotiate about benefits. They are pretty much standard from HR.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can you ask the resident from last year? This person will have the most accurate information for you. At my institution asking people who have been around wouldn't be helpful since we have decreased what we offer new pharmacists recently (again). Our offers are take it or leave it - at this time what we offer is non-negotiable. You may not have any leverage unless you live in an area exceptionally difficult to staff. If that still exists.

I've looked at glassdoor, but ichave a hard time telling if there was shift differential in those salaries.

I've looked at glass door and other sites but they vary quite a bit. I'm in a location that is somewhat rural? Meaning it's unlikely they have many data points. Also, there isn't a shortage of pharmacists in the area but at the same time there aren't hordes of residency trained new grads knocking down the doors. Im on very good terms with all of the staff and management and would require zero training. So, I think I have enough leverage to at least talk. Also, they have hired three people in the last 1-2 years with <3 years experience and none were residency trained or had prior hospital experience so I could reasonably have a few data points to work with.

Thanks fir the replays so far!

Depends a lot on how much leverage you really have.

If you know they'll do whatever it takes to keep you on, find out some numbers and demand them and a little higher.

It's a tightrope to walk on- if your pharmacy budget is like others I've seen you may be asking for the moon. At least you're aware of the competition around you at least. Got to tread lightly and smartly.

I doubt they will have any room to negotiate benefits. Salary... maybe... but if you want the job I wouldn't be too aggressive.

Forget what they pay other people.. Ask yourself, can you get another comparable job? If you can, then negotiate. If you can't, then don't.

N= 1, but I negotiated and they went up, but not enough.. So I went with the other job.

Usually in hospital the benefits/vacation/personal days are set based on FTE/years of service. There really isn't much there. You can try for salary.