Job opportunities for non-board certified, non-board eligible rad onc?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shai2009

Indefatigable
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Can anyone tell me what the job market is like for radiation oncologists who are not board-certified and whose board eligibility has expired? I know it must not be a very good picture, but does anyone know of this specific situation?
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I'll second locums. Many locums positions do mention the need for bc/be, so you'll have to confirm that individually.

Also dermrads as mentioned above and maybe urorads

Members don't see this ad :)
Locums is your best bet. Also, a lot of practices are hiring for Dermrads, esp on the West Coast.
Thanks for the information!

A couple of other questions:

1) Do you know where Dermrads jobs are listed?

2) What's the chance that free-standing clinics (doc in a box) be willing to take a non-board certified, non-board eligible rad onc?

Thanks again.

Thanks for the information!

A couple of other questions:

1) Do you know where Dermrads jobs are listed?

2) What's the chance that free-standing clinics (doc in a box) be willing to take a non-board certified, non-board eligible rad onc?

Thanks again.

Could I ask why you never became board eligible?

The best place to look for dermrad jobs is probably through ASTRO career center. A Rac Onc in an urgent care center ('doc in the box') is probably a really bad idea. We only do one prelim year and I wouldn't trust someone with that level of training to diagnose and treat non-oncology on a regular basis.

The best place to look for dermrad jobs is probably through ASTRO career center. A Rac Onc in an urgent care center ('doc in the box') is probably a really bad idea. We only do one prelim year and I wouldn't trust someone with that level of training to diagnose and treat non-oncology on a regular basis.

I see your point, although there are PA/NPs staffing fast-tracks all over the country with even less training. The key is recognizing what's within your scope and when a patient needs a higher level of care. In the right setting, I think it's a reasonable alternative - especially if the option is that vs no job.