job opportunity vs. medical school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ymmit

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm finishing up a PhD program and preparing to take the MCAT and apply to medical school. I've been preparing and putting time into this path for over a year now. I still need to take GPA-boosting classes, the MCAT, go into debt, take 10 more years to get a real job, etc, but medicine as a career is what I've wanted for a while now.

I've also just been offered a potential position as a scientist at a very, very exciting company doing high risk, high reward cutting edge research, very well compensated, good outlook, good lifestyle, intellectually stimulating, and I could start my career in as early as 3-6 months. If I had never embarked on the route to medicine, it would almost be a no-brainer.

I know this is a personal decision, and many unknown factors go into this. I obviously have thought about this myself for a while, but I would like to hear some perspectives from fellow nontrads on making a decision like this. What questions do you think I should be thinking about? Asking myself? Asking my family? Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

When you are 80 years old and you take the job are you going to say "What if I had become a doctor?" or on the other hand "What if I had taken that job?"

Is this a lifetime position? Or is it only expected to last a few years?

Reactions: 1 users
When you are 80 years old and you take the job are you going to say "What if I had become a doctor?" or on the other hand "What if I had taken that job?"

Is this a lifetime position? Or is it only expected to last a few years?
Thanks for the reply familyaerospace. One of the key things I'm thinking about is certainly the latter point. It is by no means a "lifetime" position like being a physician - where you have job security and can work anywhere. I think there are not many actual jobs like that. I would say one could stay working at the company for a long time, for life even, if one did well, got promoted, and didn't get bored. Most likely, however, employees take the experience and reputation they gain from this experience to do something else similar, in a higher position, in 5-10 years. These folks generally do very very well during and after their stints, but it's by no means a "guaranteed" job like physician. I would compare it to working in R&D at the junior/senior PhD scientist level at a pharmaceutical company.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Medical schools will always be there if you change your mind. Would working there preclude you from taking postbacc classes?

If you can see yourself being anything other than a physician... Don't be a physician.

My dad was a very established well known bio chemist at a big pharma company...until his entire division was downsized and he was terminated due to "workforce reduction." Never mind he was the oldest person they laid off that round.

Anyway, my point is , as a scientist unless you work for the government, your job ain't safe. When you get to the senior level like my father , they can hire two grad students or even BS students to do the job of one PhD. No job security at all.

So I might be the dissenting voice. Could you take the job and try it for a year or two while studying for the MCAT and knocking out a few classes? If you find you enjoy what you're doing keep at it. If not and you still wAnt to do medicine then move forward with that.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Go for the post-doc position!

I'm finishing up a PhD program and preparing to take the MCAT and apply to medical school. I've been preparing and putting time into this path for over a year now. I still need to take GPA-boosting classes, the MCAT, go into debt, take 10 more years to get a real job, etc, but medicine as a career is what I've wanted for a while now.

I've also just been offered a potential position as a scientist at a very, very exciting company doing high risk, high reward cutting edge research, very well compensated, good outlook, good lifestyle, intellectually stimulating, and I could start my career in as early as 3-6 months. If I had never embarked on the route to medicine, it would almost be a no-brainer.

I know this is a personal decision, and many unknown factors go into this. I obviously have thought about this myself for a while, but I would like to hear some perspectives from fellow nontrads on making a decision like this. What questions do you think I should be thinking about? Asking myself? Asking my family? Thanks in advance.

I have spoken with PhDs in the past about this. What I have gathered from working in a company this this. True you get compensated well and do cutting edge research. However, you are pretty much have to produce results on a timely basis. You are also confined to a certain type of research for the rest of your career also. The reason why so many PhDs choose academic jobs, because of the potential of getting tenure and also being able to do whatever research you desire (i.e autonomy in what you research). The risk behind this is 1) not getting an academic job after years of post-doc or 2) getting an academic job but not getting tenure after years of being a professor. This is the pros and cons of the PhD route.

Being an MD/DO has more of its risks front loaded, rather than back. You have to face multiple applicants for a seat in medical school. You have to get loans for your education and pay for your interviews on your own dime . A good chunk of PhD programs will pay the expenses of visiting applicants and you can get a TAship or RAship to pay for your education (of course you know this). The benefits of becoming an MD/DO is that you are most likely able to get a job as long as you pass all your exams (classes, boards, etc.; including those in residency) and have autonomy in the majority of fields (by autonomy I mean you can practice on your own). This is the pros can cons of the MD/DO route.

There are probably people who can weigh the pros and cons better than myself, but this is what I know.

Most likely, however, employees take the experience and reputation they gain from this experience to do something else similar, in a higher position, in 5-10 years. These folks generally do very very well during and after their stints, but it's by no means a "guaranteed" job like physician. I would compare it to working in R&D at the junior/senior PhD scientist level at a pharmaceutical company.

Then I would consider taking the job for a few years while I produce a crazy strong application.

Take the job. You're not ready to apply to medical school right now anyway, and you have to do something to support yourself. In the interim, continue taking your premed courses part-time and obtaining clinical experience. Eventually, you will either realize that you enjoy your research job and want to continue in your current career, or you will decide that medicine is still where it's at for you, in which case you haven't lost time because you've continued to progress toward that goal. Plus, you can't go wrong by saving up some money/paying down debt prior to applying to med school either. Win-win all around.

Reactions: 2 users
Take the job. You're not ready to apply to medical school right now anyway, and you have to do something to support yourself. In the interim, continue taking your premed courses part-time and obtaining clinical experience. Eventually, you will either realize that you enjoy your research job and want to continue in your current career, or you will decide that medicine is still where it's at for you, in which case you haven't lost time because you've continued to progress toward that goal. Plus, you can't go wrong by saving up some money/paying down debt prior to applying to med school either. Win-win all around.

I completely agree.

I think at least trying the job out is a good idea. You may realize it is terrible or even better than you imagined. You can always change your mind and tell them it's not working out.

I say it's time to sit and think about what you really want. It seems a little zen and simplistic, but honestly it's something I keep coming back to for myself as well. There's always going to be some risk and uncertainty in either decision and when these big decisions come about, it can be really helpful to go back to where you envision your life, what you are willing to sacrifice, and what you really want. For me doing a lot of this often clarifies what I want and helps me lean in one direction or another.

I'm not sure what your family situation is (kids, partner, his/her financial situation) but med school is a big commitment and creates a lot of extra stress. At the same time, I am here and I could not be happier about my decision to pursue medicine!! Go non-trads!!

Maybe this Ted Talk about decision making can help.

http://www.ted.com/talks/ruth_chang_how_to_make_hard_choices

If I were you and assuming your age is 30 <. I would take the job and work a couple of years just to see how things go. If you decide that isn't your calling, you can still apply to med school. I don't think it makes too big of a different to apply at 33-34, compared to 30.

Thanks for the advice everyone! Great perspectives in here, exactly what I was looking for. Best of luck to you all!

Agree with Q and those suggesting you take the thing in front of you for the time. As easily as we can say, "if you only want to be a physician, be a physician", the truth is you don't yet know if you would like to be a PhD working in cutting edge research doing amazing work, something you are qualified and easily ready to do. Do it, try it, save some $ and maybe you'll like it. IMO you're doing a disservice to yourself if you won't let yourself experience this big, amazing job without a fair trial.