Job outlook for Rheumatology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bomgd3

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I'm a PGY-1 who is interested in Rheumatology vs Heme/Onc. I find autoimmune diseases extremely interesting, and while I find Heme/Onc incredibly interesting as well, I also find it emotionally too draining. I also like procedural subspecialties like Cards and Pulm/CC, but am not looking for that kind of lifestyle. I was wondering about the job market for graduating Rheum fellows. Is there a strong demand out there for new attendings? Are people doing straight Rheum, or are some supplementing their practices by doing some general IM? Also, are there any noteworthy geographical trends in Rheum? I'm training in a rural large academic medical center and hope to practice in a more rural setting as well. Thanks for your info!

Members don't see this ad.

The job market is very good

You might have to work a bit to get a good job in a major metro but in a smaller or medium sized city you should have very little trouble finding a job

Do not do any general IM. There are a lot of people out there who need the specific services that only rheumatologists provide, and are underserved

You can look in A&R last year--there was a task force report published about trends in the rheumatology workforce. In short: aging population generally + aging out/retiring of rheumatologists faster than trainees replacing them + majority of trainees being women who are more likely to work less than full-time + increasing complexity and variety of available treatments for rheumatic diseases = very favorable job prospects for rheumatologists in the future

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for your input! Anyone else on here have experience re: the job market?