Job prospect in tx...I thought the pay would be better

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EMME

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently spoke with a recruiter that is hired on to recruit for one specific company, very different than your typical recruiter who is pimping you out to several for a nice commission check.

Also, let me say that I went into EM for several reasons and am not money hungry. Anyhow, this job sounded great; 8 hour shifts, partnership track after 1 year, trauma center(II). The only problem is that, like most resident have a crap ton of loans and was hoping for a higher base salary.
The offer is $110 base/hr plus RVU which averages to $225 an hour. The facility sees 30k/year and averages 3 pp.. Would I even see enough patients to generate enough RVU's?
Is a base salary plus RVU the norm for community EM?
Should I keep looking or am I being unreasonable?

Thanks for your help.

Members don't see this ad.

I recently spoke with a recruiter that is hired on to recruit for one specific company, very different than your typical recruiter who is pimping you out to several for a nice commission check.

Also, let me say that I went into EM for several reasons and am not money hungry. Anyhow, this job sounded great; 8 hour shifts, partnership track after 1 year, trauma center(II). The only problem is that, like most resident have a crap ton of loans and was hoping for a higher base salary.
The offer is $110 base/hr plus RVU which averages to $225 an hour. The facility sees 30k/year and averages 3 pp.. Would I even see enough patients to generate enough RVU's?

Thanks for your help.
Bolded is enough for me to tell you to "move along, nothing to see here." Although, on the productivity side, it depends on the insurance payor mix, because, if that is good, then people like the increased patients per hour. But, still, that suxx.

Reactions: 1 users
I know Texas well. If you are not comfortable, PM me details (company, location, group) and I will tell you if you are getting a decent deal or not. I can also give you a clue if its a good group.

I have met docs who b/c of their own ignorance was taking a much lower rate when a better group in the same city was giving out contracts $50/hr more and with benefits vs his IC gig.

Members don't see this ad :)
The floor seems really low but without knowing the RVU multiplier and avg group RVUs/hr hard to say if total compensation is weaselly. $225/hr would be below market rate for Houston but from what I've heard would be reasonable for say, Austin.

Thanks for your help.

3pph for 225/hr? Someone is making alot of money off from you. Hope this is full and great benefits.

Reactions: 1 user

Thanks for your help.

How much would you make as a partner? Is there a signing bonus? For such a low rate and high patient amount you need to be having full benefits

Bolded is enough for me to tell you to "move along, nothing to see here." Although, on the productivity side, it depends on the insurance payor mix, because, if that is good, then people like the increased patients per hour. But, still, that suxx.
Agree with Apo, unless this is a fast track/urgent care, you don't want to be in a shop where the average is 3patients/hour

As always, it depends...

Is that 3pph for you? is that 2pph for you and 1pph of the PA that you oversee? Is that with a ton of fast track with admission rate overall of 10%?

Same with the $225/hr. If thats an IC rate in texas with 3pph for you, seems low. If it is $225/hr + amazing benefits + big pension + $10k CME then its a bit different.

Thats why I like a true open book model, you can see how much you brought in, how much went to overhead (and what said overhead is...) and how much went back to you (including benefits, malpractice, etc).

$225 an hour is awesome for a pre-partner position. But I'm not sure you're clear on what you'll make as a pre-partner and what you'll make as a partner.

Thanks for your help.
You mean you're not finding the easy $700/hr, $1-million per year promised on SDN Emergency Medicine forum?

Reactions: 1 user
Partnership allows you to buy into the company and you get quarterly earnings, but no standard increase in salary. BTW heard from a TX insider this company is not honest about their "partnership" track. It reportedly has a bad rep for not delivering on pay, location and partnership. Definitely no longer considering this place.

Partnership allows you to buy into the company and you get quarterly earnings, but no standard increase in salary. BTW heard from a TX insider this company is not honest about their "partnership" track. It reportedly has a bad rep for not delivering on pay, location and partnership. Definitely no longer considering this place.

Shocking

Thanks for your help.

I honestly don't find too much out of the ordinary with the offer other than the 3pph average. (Is that with or without MLP? Big difference.) If that's provider alone, then run. Nobody could offer me enough for 3pph. That pace is just brutal, not to mention dangerous.

One year partnership is a pretty short partnership track. All things being equal, $225/hr on any partnership track is NOT bad. I remember interviewing at one place in CO a few years ago that was $160/hr for 18-24mo and then $300/hr. Personally, I can't handle excessive buy ins like that. With a one year track, the history of the group is going to be more transparent and you're more apt to find people who have possibly left pre-maturely and have an opinion. (It sounds like you've found them already...) However, you always want to ask thinks like (How many docs have left without making partner in the last 5 years?), etc.. Good luck on your search. I recently flew down to TX doing some researching and have found the highest paying jobs to be in the less desirable locations, like most states.