Job Prospects based on where you went to residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

4roses

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'll preface this by saying part of what drew me to EM was the egalitarian/anti-elitest vibes that most people in our field give off.

However, I was curious to know if there are certain jobs/markets which are open only to grads of "top programs" like your Cincinattis and Denvers.

From what I have seen, awesome jobs seem to abound in EM and I have seen people from all types of programs land what I would consider dream jobs, so I am wondering if there are any career benefits to programs like these. Besides, of course, getting an excellent education

Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

I'll preface this by saying part of what drew me to EM was the egalitarian/anti-elitest vibes that most people in our field give off.

However, I was curious to know if there are certain jobs/markets which are open only to grads of "top programs" like your Cincinattis and Denvers.

From what I have seen, awesome jobs seem to abound in EM and I have seen people from all types of programs land what I would consider dream jobs, so I am wondering if there are any career benefits to programs like these. Besides, of course, getting an excellent education

Thanks!!
Nope. Certain jobs may be run by alums from your residency program who may be more willing to offer you a job as a result, but that's about it.

I think it is less about the big-name program itself and more about connections. If you go to a big-name, well established program, there are more likely to be some well-known figures in EM there. In addition, the alumni network is often bigger and more geographically diverse at big-name programs, which can be hugely helpful in getting jobs in desirable locations. At the place where I trained, our chair is very well known in EM and has flat-out called places and got graduating residents jobs based on who he knows (and who knows him, and trusts the training he gives his residents). It is amazing to have someone very well known in the field as your advocate, but I definitely wouldn't say it is necessary to get your dream job.

Members don't see this ad :)
As an ER doc, you're a warm body. If you have the 3 A's, you'll get the job. If it's a tight market, it has more to do with location than program name. In other words, if you want to work in Denver, you should probably go to Denver.

Agree that regionally strong programs are worth more than a stronger program across the country. But EM is still small. We all know what the programs with strong reputations are. That may open some doors.