PhD/PsyD Job Prospects in NYC for Psychologists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MJPsych

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone provide any info on the psychologist job market in NYC/NJ? What is the competition like? What is the average salary one could expect?

Members don't see this ad.

This is a broad question and needs to be narrowed down a bit. Why type of psychologist, working in what settings and with which populations? I'm assuming you mean clinical, and if so, just do searches on indeed.com, lots of jobs have salary ranges posted in their ad. NYC/NJ is going to be competitive, its probably top 3 market if not number 1 (including Bay Area and Los Angeles). I'm assuming when you mean NJ you mean North Jersey. South Jersey/Philly would be less competitive (compared to NYC/North Jersey) but still competitive relative to the country average.

Reactions: 1 user
This is a broad question and needs to be narrowed down a bit. Why type of psychologist, working in what settings and with which populations? I'm assuming you mean clinical, and if so, just do searches on indeed.com, lots of jobs have salary ranges posted in their ad. NYC/NJ is going to be competitive, its probably top 3 market if not number 1 (including Bay Area and Los Angeles). I'm assuming when you mean NJ you mean North Jersey. South Jersey/Philly would be less competitive (compared to NYC/North Jersey) but still competitive relative to the country average.
I did mean clinical. I work with adults and some adolescents. I've worked in primary care and in traditional mental health. Also, have knowledge of various EBPs. I'm mainly trying to get a general idea. My partner has a potential job opportunity coming up in NYC, but didn't want to consider it if the job market was poor for psychologists. I did go on indeed.com and most of the jobs didn't have a posted salary. Ideally if we were going to move, I'd want a job lined up as well. Thanks for the info.

Members don't see this ad :)
As someone who would be moving there with no connections, I can say that the job market is not great, but is not terrible. The question you are asking is a rather broad one. By NYC are you considering just Manhattan or the entire NYC metro area? Manhattan is tough, with more opportunities in the surrounding areas IMO. That said the likelihood is that you would need to take a mediocre starter job and network to find a better position. New York is also split into different areas, the psychodynamic/ analyst groups are big over there, so fit may more important based on your theoretical perspective.

Columbia currently has (or maybe had) a decent amount of clinical positions posted working with adults, I have seen many through the city too (all on indeed.com). I'm in a similar position in terms of NYC being a possibility but I'm on the child/adolescent and research side of things.

As someone who would be moving there with no connections, I can say that the job market is not great, but is not terrible. The question you are asking is a rather broad one. By NYC are you considering just Manhattan or the entire NYC metro area? Manhattan is tough, with more opportunities in the surrounding areas IMO. That said the likelihood is that you would need to take a mediocre starter job and network to find a better position. New York is also split into different areas, the psychodynamic/ analyst groups are big over there, so fit may more important based on your theoretical perspective.
We are open to the entire NYC metro area, part of me would rather work in any burrough other than Manhattan! I'm pretty flexible, and okay with getting a mediocre position and putting in the work to get a desirable one. I just didn't want to end up in a scenario where we move and I'm unemployed for an extended period of time. Thanks for your reply!

Columbia currently has (or maybe had) a decent amount of clinical positions posted working with adults, I have seen many through the city too (all on indeed.com). I'm in a similar position in terms of NYC being a possibility but I'm on the child/adolescent and research side of things.
I couldn't imagine a person working with children/adolescents having too much difficulty. All my friends who work with children (especially younger ones) have to fight off job offers much of the time.

I wish I knew of a central datebase that has NYC area jobs for licensed psychologists that I could share, but my doctoral program sends out job listings through their listserve. One that came up recently that looked promising but I had already found something was this one:

" Regarding very interesting job openings for clinical psychologists working in Family Justice Centers treating domestic violence clients. The city, as part of ThriveNY initiative, is very invested in making this a well run treatment program. There is time for supervision and the pay is excellent, $120K. Pls distribute widely. If you know of any good candidates, pls ask them to email me directly.

Catherine Monk, Ph.D.
Associate Professor
Dept of Psychiatry
Behavioral Medicine & Developmental Neuroscience
Director of Research, The Women's Program
Columbia University Medical Center
622 West 168th St., PH15–1540H
(630 West 168th Street, PH1540H for mail)
New York, NY 10032
http://pregnancy.bmedcumc.org"

I do not know anything about this job other than what you see above, but it seems commensurate for a licensed psychologist (with experience) so may be a good starting point.

Reactions: 1 user
You might also join NYPSA, the state psychological association. It can also be helpful to get on some of the civil service lists for jobs through the Office of Mental Health (state) and Health and Hospital Corporation (city), each of which have websites which also post job listings. They often have both inpatient and outpatient jobs in different services and working with different populations. Right out of post doc, I've been hearing about 82k for salaries; I'm not sure what the range is once you are further along in your career. Northwell Health, formerly Long Island Jewish, is also a large hospital network.

Reactions: 1 users