Job search

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Algor

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a few questions about a job search process.
1. How does "7 on/7 off" work load look like? How busy you are while doing those 7 days? Do you sleep at all? Do you sleep at home?
2. Would my potential employer pay for airfare and hotel accommodation during an interview?
3. When should I start applying? I am doing my final year of residency but will do one more year of neurophysiology fellowship.
4. What resources have you been using for a job search? Recruiters, cold calls to the hospitals?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I have a few questions about a job search process.
1. How does "7 on/7 off" work load look like? How busy you are while doing those 7 days? Do you sleep at all? Do you sleep at home?
2. Would my potential employer pay for airfare and hotel accommodation during an interview?
3. When should I start applying? I am doing my final year of residency but will do one more year of neurophysiology fellowship.
4. What resources have you been using for a job search? Recruiters, cold calls to the hospitals?

Thanks

1. I don't know about your 7 on/7 off schedules.

2. Always yes in my experience, though I am sure there are exceptions. They are not obligated to pay for a spouse, though. In my experience, some places did this, and some didn't

3. I suggest starting at least two to three months into your fellowship. I started hunting for jobs almost right after starting fellowship. I had some long weekends, but managed not to chew up too much vacation time that way. Now is a bit early for you I would say. Ideally, I guess you would have your new job wrapped up by January/February of the year you intend to start. I didn't get my current job until April, though. No hard and fast rules for this.

4. Use a recruiter and you'll never stop hearing from them. Trust me. Many hospitals advertise in neurology journals, and many academic institutions (and hospitals) advertise on their actual websites. I suggest you consider where you would like to live, and then dig around the hospitals and groups in that area. Cold calling works, believe me. I got two job offers that way.

Best of luck.