Job Shadowing (<5 hours?)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rlaxkdl

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I already have my minimum of 100 hours with a general dentist, but I decided it would be nice to observe some specialties. I recently job shadowed a pediatric dentist for about 4 hours, but the dentist didn't want to commit long-term and mentioned this would be more of a one-time-thing rather than a continual thing.

I want to show dental schools that I have looked into specialties and am committed to the field, but I am unsure whether or not it's even worth mentioning this experience. 4 hours seems pretty insignificant. I figured this problem might reoccur if I began job shadowing other specialties (endo, ortho, etc.) and was unable to secure more than a couple hours.

Any thoughts? Should I just put this experience down or would it just seem like I'm trying to beef up my resume with experiences that "don't really matter?"

Members don't see this ad.

They don't care. You have your 100 hours.

Reactions: 1 users
I shadowed general (between two) around 100

Then an Endo for like 4 and an Oral surgeon for like 4 and I put those on my app and got in plenty

You're fine

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I already have my minimum of 100 hours with a general dentist, but I decided it would be nice to observe some specialties. I recently job shadowed a pediatric dentist for about 4 hours, but the dentist didn't want to commit long-term and mentioned this would be more of a one-time-thing rather than a continual thing.

I want to show dental schools that I have looked into specialties and am committed to the field, but I am unsure whether or not it's even worth mentioning this experience. 4 hours seems pretty insignificant. I figured this problem might reoccur if I began job shadowing other specialties (endo, ortho, etc.) and was unable to secure more than a couple hours.

Any thoughts? Should I just put this experience down or would it just seem like I'm trying to beef up my resume with experiences that "don't really matter?"
I shadowed almost all the specialties for one day each and put on my application. even though it was only a couple hours. Put it.