Job Title for Unlicensed Doctor (Psychology PhD)?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Olive3

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

It's my understanding that in Pennsylvania licensure is needed in order to use the "Psychologist" job title. Does anyone know what the job title would be for a recent psychology PhD graduate who is working towards licensure?

I know Psychology Fellow or Psychology Resident has been used but does that only apply for formal post-doc positions?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know Psychology Fellow or Psychology Resident has been used but does that only apply for formal post-doc positions?

From http://www.pacode.com/secure/data/049/chapter41/chap41toc.html:

"Psychology resident—An individual who has obtained a doctoral degree and is fulfilling the supervised experience requirement for licensure, or an applicant for licensure who is continuing training under § 41.31(4) (relating to educational qualifications)."

There you go. It doesn't sound like this term refers only to a formal postdoc, but when in doubt, call the board.

You would be well served to consult the ABPP manual for your desired specialty. ABCN has some requirements for the title.