Jobs for US IMGs??? any suggestions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drf123

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've completed my MD from abroad and am back but do not plan to practice for various reasons and haven't done my Steps either.

Looking into clinical research opportunities perhaps...any othler ideas as to what I can do as an IMG??

Members don't see this ad.

Why wouldn't you take the steps since you were already studying for them?

Members don't see this ad :)
Not when you look at his post history...

I did, and stand by my statement. Two posts from half a year ago stating intent do not a history make. Without further input I still see it as an assumption that in the intervening time period the OP actually did what he/she intended. A more reasonable assumption would be that the allusion to various reasons includes, at least, not studying, for whatever reason.

Hey...dont judge...I decided not to pursue the clinical field any further and have a family now. The lifestyle is not for me. I had a baby and therefore am focusing on her right now. I don't plan to continue my medical career but want to stay within the health field. Residency is not an option when I have a baby and plan to have another one soon.

I may go into Healthcare Management in the longer run...

So far trying to get part time clinical research jobs...
any other ideas

No judgements here at all. I was merely pointing out the danger of the assumption based on too little evidence.

As for your decision to focus on your family, I applaud it. I barely knew my dad for the first seven years of my life because he was away all the time: Texas, Connecticut, even Chile. You gotta do what feels right.

Just don't become a drug rep.

Thanks trev...appreciate it.

Being a Mom is a blessing and having the Medical education to take care of your baby is great. The visits at the Peds are always quite interesting.

I'm just trying to figure out Loans now and look for part time job in the near future since my little one will be old enough to go for ECD Centers.

If anyone has any recommendations please do share

No judgements here at all. I was merely pointing out the danger of the assumption based on too little evidence.

As for your decision to focus on your family, I applaud it. I barely knew my dad for the first seven years of my life because he was away all the time: Texas, Connecticut, even Chile. You gotta do what feels right.

Actually I think drug rep might fit, and I shudder to think about yet another possible hospital administrator wth no interest in clinical medicine.

Last edited:
This question comes up a lot in the General Residency forum further down the forum list. You might want to check in there.

A lot of people say "consulting..." with no real followup on what to consult on nor whom to consult. It reminds me of people who spend too much money on something or get some damage to property, and well-meaning friends say "write it off..." whatever that means.

Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Writing off is cost benefit of repairing vs. replacing. If it's not worth it to repair it's "written off" as a total loss for insurance and/or tax purposes (as an expense).

Reactions: 1 user

Why would you say not to become a drug rep? I am currently trying to finish my ECFMG certification and rotations and if not matching was considering working for the pharma industry

Why would you say not to become a drug rep? I am currently trying to finish my ECFMG certification and rotations and if not matching was considering working for the pharma industry

OK research the job and then research what it really is and ask yourself if that's really what you want to be doing with your time. Good luck.

OK research the job and then research what it really is and ask yourself if that's really what you want to be doing with your time. Good luck.

But as a US-IMG grad what other options are available in terms of a job if i dont get a residency?

I have searched for weeks and come up with financial analyst, health informatics, anything else?

Pretty much that and things like it. If you're a decent writer you might try looking into that. What's your undergraduate degree in?