Jobs in Dental School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

johnho771

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone have experience working a job during dental school? I am interested in picking something up for about 10 hours a week, but not sure what would accommodate this. If anyone has worked such a job, or has ideas of where to find such employment, I would be happy to hear.

Members don't see this ad.

Tutoring is pretty easy to do. You could also ask around at the school if there are jobs at the bookstore, library, research labs, etc. I have a classmate that bar tends on weekends, which I wouldn't want to do, but she doesn't seem to mind.

I tended bar one night a week and on weekends. I also worked as an RA in the undergrad dorms (Pittsburgh) no money but it provided a single room and free board for babysitting undergrads. If you can obtain a lifeguard certificate you could work at a local YMCA or the school. Weekend orderlie or security at a local hospital is another possibility.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does your school have paid TAs for the 3rd/4th years to do?

My roommate and I did lawn and garden work for a wealthy guy on weekends. That turned into a more work then we could handle when his friends started calling us to do their homes too.

The outdoor, physical work was a good escape from the mental demands and stress of dental school. I made enough cash to cover groceries, gas and a night out now and then.

Really don't see the point of getting a job in dental school. 10 hours a week is not going to make a huge difference in your loan re-payments and dental school is stressful enough on it's own.

Thanks for the responses thus far. Dental school can be stressful at times, but i definitely have not found it overwhelming. Definitely not as bad as some people make it out to be. The money would not really be for direct payments of loans or tuition. I live a and enjoy a pretty low cost lifestyle now, and I figure an extra maybe $400ish could go a long ways.

i read an older thread how 3rd years took the hygine exam too and just did that on weekends.

Thats going to vary by state though.

If you can give up a Friday and Saturday night you can be a lyft or uber driver. Plus it would be a great way to meet locals and hang with people outside your class

It can be difficult to have a part-time job to fund dentalstudies with constant study

Really don't see the point of getting a job in dental school. 10 hours a week is not going to make a huge difference in your loan re-payments and dental school is stressful enough on it's own.
This is my thinking as well.