Jobs search advice..?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yellowbird12

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently graduated with a biological sciences degree. However I gathered no research lab experience as an undergrad..I though I might go directly to med school after..but plans have changed

Right now I am in a tight financial bind ....so bad that I've been willing to take a job that pays 8.25 an hour full time ...the bad thing is I owe a school money and they won't release a transcript to the smp program I want to apply to until its paid- about $2500. I withdrew from the school and don't have any credit from there ..but I fear leaving the school off applications.

I don't really know many people. nor is my family willing to help pay that amount

I made somewhat bad financial decision ( getting credit cards) and the job I currently have pays $8 per hour and give me so few hour this week I have like maybe 9 hours. I did not realize they would cut my hours so drastically after going back to school last fall. I thought Id be able to pay off the credit cards

So yeah

I am tempted to contact former professors but in all honesty my interest does not necessarily in research..I feel like that many would want someone who's passionate about it..I don't want to straight up lie and say oh so so I saw you published this ..ad found that interesting..nevertheless h ow will I know whether I am interested in it if 've never done it before.

For now I will contact them if they have any volunteer postions or of they know someone that is looking for some help.
Im in desperation mode

What do you guys suggest I do in my situation...? Any ideas tips..?
I wanted to apply to these schools maybe even med schools but...

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You're in a flurry of a mess. You say you have no grades from the school, so what are you trying to show on the application?

Also, you're not going to get that transcript no matter how nicely you ask. In addition, you are implying you have credit card debt piled on top of that.

I would apply to the SMP and explain the situation with the transcript from the empty school, and see if they are okay with it. If they ask why not, then explain the financial burden. SMPs are more lenient.

Honestly, you sound like a mess. I think you need to take a breath, and then explain everything from the beginning. There's too many holes to this story to help.