Jobs without board certification

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

leviathan

Drinking from the hydrant
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it still possible to work as a GP without your ABFM certification or will people simply not hire without it these days? Does anyone know specifically about Kansas state?

Members don't see this ad.

Plan on not ever getting hired unless you finish residency and are board certified.
So basically having an MD license itself is useless now? Does it change at all if you've got board certification in Canada and >5 years of experience, or does it just come down to employers wanting the extra letters next to their employees' names? Edit: The reason I'm asking is on behalf of my SO who will be joining me if I do my residency in the US, but can't get her ABFM without doing an extra year of residency (it's 2 years in canada vs 3 in the US).

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
So basically having an MD license itself is useless now? Does it change at all if you've got board certification in Canada and >5 years of experience, or does it just come down to employers wanting the extra letters next to their employees' names? Edit: The reason I'm asking is on behalf of my SO who will be joining me if I do my residency in the US, but can't get her ABFM without doing an extra year of residency (it's 2 years in canada vs 3 in the US).

Sorry, I'm not privvy to the rules of coming across the border into the US. I suppose she could petition the ABFM and or see if any employer will hire her with experience. I'm not sure what the rules are for transferring a Canadian license to a US one. I would suspect that to be licensed in the US she would need that third year of residency depending on the state trying to be licensed in. Some states have stricter requirements.

She would need to contact the licensing board for the state you are doing your residency. It would also come down to the employer and their requirements. Much of it has to do with insurance and who they will pay for their patients to see. If your wife can't get picked up by insurance plans then she is no use to the employer. SO..... your answer is multi-faceted and would need to be researched by your wife.

there are a few jobs that will hire without board certification but you must be able to get a license. so, it depends on the state licensing requirements and the job availability in that state for those without BC. one of my friends is a GP in a prison : has a license, no BC.

Thanks for the info. MD licensure is not a problem. Most states that we are looking at recognize Canadian medical training and the LMCC licensing exams in place of the USMLEs. They usually also require 1-2 years of post-graduate training in Canada or the US which of course is also not a problem.

there are a few jobs that will hire without board certification but you must be able to get a license. so, it depends on the state licensing requirements and the job availability in that state for those without BC. one of my friends is a GP in a prison : has a license, no BC.

How many years of training did your friend have? I finished 21 months when my resident contract was terminated after being late after being on probation for the same issue. I have since worked doing physical exams and have completely improved on professionalism. The BoP was not able to hire me with only 21 months of residency, so I was wondering how long your friend trained before working for the BoP. Thank you.

Um...this is a 3-year-0ld thread, and "thuc" hasn't been on SDN since January, 2013.