jobs...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jok200

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am trying to look at jobs but, I'm unsure how to do it? I don't want to use a recruiter, is their a website that I can post my resume or subscribe to ? Most residents I know found jobs through a family friend or.... from simply going back to their home towns.

--

Members don't see this ad.

I am trying to look at jobs but, I'm unsure how to do it? I don't want to use a recruiter, is their a website that I can post my resume or subscribe to ? Most residents I know found jobs through a family friend or.... from simply going back to their home towns.

--

AAFP has a jobs section

Practice Link is a nice resource as well.

Or, find a location you like, and cold call hospitals/private offices.

I found my job by emailing the hospitals / hospital recruiter (different than a recruiter service) and seeing what was available. Also recommend chatting with the system recruiters at the FP conferences (AAFP Scientific Assembly, etc).

Members don't see this ad :)

--

Do not post your resume on a website. You will be called all day and all night.I learned that the hard way. Not sure why you don't want to use a recruiter? They do all the work and it's no cost to you. It really will cut down on the volume of calls. Like others have said you can go to a hospital website and apply directly. I have done that too and many times they don't get back to you very quickly.

I know the last post is most definitely a recruiter, but let me just add: 6-8 weeks ago I sent (via snail mail) my CV and cover letter to the docs I know in the city I'm interested in, and I just heard back from one tonight!!!!

In general, we PGY-3's have the time, just not the patience!

I recommend finding an organization you think you would like to work for and get in contact with their in house physician recruiter.

My theory is that if someone has to hire a head-hunter, there is a reason, and it's usually not good.

I recommend finding an organization you think you would like to work for and get in contact with their in house physician recruiter.

My theory is that if someone has to hire a head-hunter, there is a reason, and it's usually not good.

Your theory is wrong. I've used recruiters since graduating residency and now work exclusively locums. There is nothing wrong with using a recruiter. It just doesn't make sense if you already know exactly where you want to go anyway. Locums to perm makes the most sense a lot of times in which case you will want malpractice with tail including gas and lodging to be financed. Recruiters haggle out the details leaving you to work and get paid without worrying about the messy details. If you have already worked somewhere and they want you back you may be able to hammer out the payment and malpractice with cutting out the locums or recruiting agency for a higher salary but if its within a certain tome period after an agency has presented your resume usually one or two years they have to pay the Locums agency a finders fee to hire you if it's a perm position usually 10 to 20 K. You just have to be aware of the process and how it works and how not to get burned as well as an idea of the upper and Lower limits of payment and stipulations that come into play in the contract you sign with the locums agency. once you hand over your resume to a locums or recruiter agency they have claim over a finders fee for a certsin period of time if its perm or get x amount of dollars per hour you work as a locums so dont hand your resume over to every agency you come into contact with. Just pick one that you think is reputable. NALTO is supposedly an organization that promotes reputable locums agencies although i have worked with non NALTO agencies and not had a problem. In general agencies want you to be happy and working. its how they make money. Research it but don't spend weeks unless you are looking for a break anyway because its going to take awhile to get credentialed maybe a month or two.

Last edited:

I agree that this is a completely false statement. Recruiters do all the work for you, find the job that meets your needs, in the location you want, get you to the interview, put you up while there, stamp out an itinerary, and can do that with consecutive jobs/locations while you are working. I don't have time to be job hunting while working. It's no cost to you as the physician. That's what they are there for.

I find myself wondering if you two don't have a different experience compared to others since you both are doing exclusively locum work.

Trying to do that without a recruiter would, I suspect, be a huge pain in the backside.

For those of us who are/were looking for permanent positions, it could be a different story.

That is what most of my class did, since with a few exceptions, most of us knew where we wanted to end up.

Worked out well.

I've never been to a place that was using Locums that didn't want to hire perm. Hence Locums to perm offers. I guess if you were just covering someone's vacation.

Any advise for those first interviews?

Show up in something that looks professional, have a pulse, be nice and remember you are a Doctor there is a shortage of Doctors and unless there is something wrong with you like a personality disorder or a major flaw in your attitude or training you should have multiple opportunities and it is as much you interviewing them as it is them interviewing you. Just be as pleasant about it as possible. Don't sign any bad contracts or sell yourself short. Look for the upper end salary that is current because its always going up and it may be awhile before you renegotiate. Don't sign a contract that is for too long and limits your ability to renegotiate a better contract if the job works out or limits your ability to leave. Watch out for noncompete clauses if that's the only location you want to work because if it doesn't work out you don't want to mess with a noncompete clause that may or may not be legal. Don't be the work horse that gets the leftovers or the "subordinate" you graduated and you are licensed to practice you are an equal.

Members don't see this ad :)
Show up in something that looks professional, have a pulse, be nice and remember you are a Doctor there is a shortage of Doctors and unless there is something wrong with you like a personality disorder or a major flaw in your attitude or training you should have multiple opportunities and it is as much you interviewing them as it is them interviewing you. Just be as pleasant about it as possible. Don't sign any bad contracts or sell yourself short. Look for the upper end salary that is current because its always going up and it may be awhile before you renegotiate. Don't sign a contract that is for too long and limits your ability to renegotiate a better contract if the job works out or limits your ability to leave. Watch out for noncompete clauses if that's the only location you want to work because if it doesn't work out you don't want to mess with a noncompete clause that may or may not be legal. Don't be the work horse that gets the leftovers or the "subordinate" you graduated and you are licensed to practice you are an equal.

Well said.

Something that I think can't be emphasized enough - there is an FM shortage. For the first time ever, we're negotiating from a position of strength. After med school/residency this can be a tough mindset to change.

I find myself wondering if you two don't have a different experience compared to others since you both are doing exclusively locum work.

Trying to do that without a recruiter would, I suspect, be a huge pain in the backside.

For those of us who are/were looking for permanent positions, it could be a different story.

Just to clarify, I have had 4 perm jobs in the last 5 years. I have resigned them all due to incompatibility with administration. All of these jobs I got through a recruiter because they all involved crossing half the country. Big moves each time. I ended up doing locums because I was much happier in that role and it came about out of necessity to pay the bills.

I honestly don't know how I would have found any perm job without a recruiter. I guess for me, I didn't really have a set place in mind where I wanted to live since I have no family anywhere that I need (or want) to be close to.

A few things to add....

1. Know that you are the HOT COMMODITY, and that you have power to get the best deal you want.
2. All numbers are negotiable-don't settle for low end salary. They generally will raise the numbers but only if you insist on a higher number. They expect a counter offer
3. Be sure that you have a lawyer go over your contract
4. Be sure you have a clean "out" if you need to resign. That means be sure you don't have to pay tail coverage, be sure you don't have to pay back any sign on or moving re-imbursements. Don't get caught in loopholes about having to give 3 months notice,etc. It could be a really miserable 3 months if you are working in a hostile environment.
5. You may or may not be able to get student loan repayment. It's not always available. But you won't get it unless you ask.

I know it's early, but I've set up a few interviews with what sound like desirable practices. However, certain things are lacking in each practice. These are easily solved by moon lighting once or twice a month as an ER or hospitalist. How common is it to be able to moonlight/work locums for only 12-24 hours a month?

I know it's early, but I've set up a few interviews with what sound like desirable practices. However, certain things are lacking in each practice. These are easily solved by moon lighting once or twice a month as an ER or hospitalist. How common is it to be able to moonlight/work locums for only 12-24 hours a month?

What are you trying to "fix" with 24 hours/month. I think you will be too tired to want to do that. There are plenty of FP jobs out there. You should be able to get the one that is right for you. Need to be more specific about what is "lacking".

I'd just like to be able to keep up my hospital/critical care skills. I'm limiting myself to a small community so that's my fault, I'm sure there's the perfect job that does OB and has inpatient/ICU but not where I'm willing to be.

I'd just like to be able to keep up my hospital/critical care skills. I'm limiting myself to a small community so that's my fault, I'm sure there's the perfect job that does OB and has inpatient/ICU but not where I'm willing to be.

How small are we talking and where (roughly, don't need to be too specific) are you wanting to be?

Your small community won't let you do uncomplicated OB? Or is the hospital so small that it doesn't have ICU?

Recruiters do all the work for you, find the job that meets your needs, in the location you want, get you to the interview, put you up while there, stamp out an itinerary, and can do that with consecutive jobs/locations while you are working. I don't have time to be job hunting while working. It's no cost to you as the physician. That's what they are there for.

Is this true, that it is no cost to the physician? I realize you aren't directly paying anything out of pocket for the recruiter but the recruiter is being paid by the hospital / group / etc. If the recruiter wasn't getting their cut, would you be getting a larger signing bonus / loan repayment / etc?

Is this true, that it is no cost to the physician? I realize you aren't directly paying anything out of pocket for the recruiter but the recruiter is being paid by the hospital / group / etc. If the recruiter wasn't getting their cut, would you be getting a larger signing bonus / loan repayment / etc?

Not that I'm aware, the site hires the recruiter to find them a suitable physician to fill their needs. The burden falls on the site. I have never found that I as the physician was penelized by using a recruiter. It really saves a lot of time and hassle that I don't care to deal with. Recruiter is nice to use when trying to find jobs across the country since you don't have to pay for plane tickets, hotel, etc. during the interview process.

I have come across jobs on my own and in the end the contract really wasn't any different doing it myself vs using a recruiter.

--

Finding a job shouldn't be a problem for a doctor! If you can't find it l;locally try the internet:
http://specialty.drjobs.us/familypractice.php