Jobs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Inez2000

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Job Offers Abundant for New Doctors
make-comment.gif
Comment

short-article-email-icon.gif
Email

short-article-print-icon.gif
Print

short-article-rss-icon.gif
RSS

short-article-widget-icon.gif
News Widget

More than 6 in 10 physicians say they've received 50 or more job offers during their residency, and more than 4 in 10 received more than 100 job offers, according to data from a physician recruiting firm.
Physicians completing their final year of residency say they're entering the job market with scores of job offers and most anticipate earning $176,000 or more in their first year of practice.

More than 60% of the 1,208 new doctors responding to an email survey from physician recruiters Merritt Hawkins say they've received 50 or more job offers during their residency, and 46% received more than 100 job offers.

>>>View Job Offers Slideshow
"There is no such thing as an unemployed doctor," says Kurt Mosley, vice president of strategic alliances at Irving, TX-based Merritt Hawkins. "The good news is all of them need a job. The bad news is they only come out one time a year."

Healthcare Created 1 in 10 Jobs in 2014

Along with the strong job prospects, however, half of the residents say they owe $150,000 or more in students loans, and 25% of new physicians say they'd pick another profession if they had a do-over.

Ronald A. Paulus, MD, president/CEO of Asheville, NC-based Mission Health, says he's surprised the number of malcontents-in-residence is so low.

"Medical students measure extraordinarily high on compassion and empathy and by the time they're done with their residency it is very low," Paulus says. "The training process has been around since the early 1900s with only moderate changes. It is an extraordinarily grueling time."

Members don't see this ad.

Your fellowship ended this past June, right? Did you end up landing a job?

Pathology does have similar numbers. Apply to 50 jobs, get one response. Apply to 100 jobs, get one interview. (Don't get the job, get another year of fellowship and start the process over)

This is the first year of the "shortage" though....haha.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just stop donating to CAP. You're wasting your money since donations are 1/40 of their accreditation revenue.

Pathology does have similar numbers. Apply to 50 jobs, get one response. Apply to 100 jobs, get one interview. (Don't get the job, get another year of fellowship and start the process over)

This is the first year of the "shortage" though....haha.

Well, my experience hasn't been that bleak. Granted I didn't have 100 job offers before finishing residency, like some people in other specialities seem to have. I applied to about 10 places and got interviews at 5.

Well, my experience hasn't been that bleak. Granted I didn't have 100 job offers before finishing residency, like some people in other specialities seem to have. I applied to about 10 places and got interviews at 5.

I had similar experiences. I didn't even apply to many advertised positions (4). I sent out 10 inquiries. I had solicitations from 5 places. I was invited for interviews at 10 places. I visited 8.

Sulfinator, gbwillner, how geographically disparate were your interviews, if I may ask? Were they mostly local or were you geographically flexible in your searching? I ask because I am very open to relocation upon completion of my residency in a few years.

Last edited:
Sulfinator, gbwillber, how geographically disparate were your interviews, if I may ask? Were they mostly local or were you geographically flexible in your searching? I ask because I am very open to relocation upon completion of my residency in a few years.

I was pretty flexible. Of all the applications I sent out, only two were for positions that were in the same state.

Reactions: 1 user
My interviews were all over the place. Most were in the NE, but I also interviewed in the West Coast, SW, South. No love for me in the MW, I guess. None in my home state. I was gonna move no matter what. ***

*** as a disclaimer I want to add that this was not right out of fellowship. I took a position at my home institution without any job search as I was heavily research-focused. My job search started after 1.5 years of being on faculty.

Reactions: 1 user