John Jay Postgraduate Certificate in Forensic Psychology before PhD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

so.many.questions.

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone heard about John Jay's Postgraduate Certificate in Forensic Psychology? I have an MSW and want to apply to Clinical PhD programs (John Jay is my first choice) but did not take psych in undergrad. My "psych" background is just in clinical social work (various courses in clinical practice, 2 in research during my MSW).

Does this program sound like a good stepping stone before applying to a PhD? I would apply ASAP, start January 2015 (if accepted), and apply to PhD programs in fall 2015 to start fall 2016 (assuming I can do the certificate in a year). I should also mention that I would l like to work with and study court-involved juveniles.
  • "The postgraduate certificate is designed primarily for those applicants who have already received a masters or a doctoral degree in psychology, social work,counseling, or a related field."
  • "Students receiving the certificate after 18 credits will be credentialed with postgraduate documentation of coursework within one of the following six forensic psychology tracks: Psychological Assessment and Forensic Psychology; Family Violence and Victims; Forensic Counseling and Psychotherapy; Research in Forensic Psychology; Selected Topics in Forensic Psychology; Forensic Psychological Assessment and Testimony."
    • IV. Research in Forensic Psychology Track*
      • 1. Mental Health Professionals, Social Science & the Law (PSY 700).
      • 2. Social Psychology and the Legal System (PSY 722).
      • 3. Social Science Evidence in Court (PSY 718).
      • 4. Eyewitness Identification (PSY 727), Psychology of Jury Research (PSY 832),
      • or Psychology of Confessions & Interrogations (PSY 826).
      • 5. Advanced Research Methods (PSY 738).
      • 6. Independent Study (Research Paper) (PSY 794).

Members don't see this ad.

Why do you need a stepping stone? What do you lack?

I've never taken psychology classes, just masters level (clinical) social work classes. I've been trying to contact programs to see if this is enough (I never took stats so I plan to do that in the spring) but haven't heard back so I'm looking up programs like this in the meantime.

Members don't see this ad :)
You wont be granted admission to ph.d program without significant, meaningful research experience. This is likely to be a waste of time and money in your case.

Personally, I think you'd be better served trying to gather additional research experience in addition to the course(s) you're planning on taking. I don't know that a postgrad certificate such as this would improve your application much, if at all.

As erg mentioned, research experience is generally one of the "be all, end all" components of Ph.D. program applications. Thus, if you don't have much up to this point, I'd strongly suggest looking for paid or volunteer research assistant positions. Your time would be much better spent there than in the certificate program.

I know that - I've been in contact with professors to start research now (for the next year before applying). I did take two semesters of research in my masters, too, and completed a final project using my professors data.

I know that - I've been in contact with professors to start research now (for the next year before applying). I did take two semesters of research in my masters, too, and completed a final project using my professors data.

Sounds good. I'd focus on that and save your money by foregoing the forensic certificate.

Yeah? So how much post bacc coursework do you think I'd need besides stats? I am having a hell of a time finding info about clinical social workers transitioning into psych and I'm worried I'm in over my head coursework wise. I just bought an intro to psych book to start studying for the psych GRE, too. I'm hoping a decent score could help make up for no straight undergrad psych courses...does that seem plausible?

Yeah? So how much post bacc coursework do you think I'd need besides stats? I am having a hell of a time finding info about clinical social workers transitioning into psych and I'm worried I'm in over my head coursework wise. I just bought an intro to psych book to start studying for the psych GRE, too. I'm hoping a decent score could help make up for no straight undergrad psych courses...does that seem plausible?

It's going to vary by program, of course, but typically schools will require some combination of intro, abnormal, bio/physio, social, developmental, cognitive, stats, and research methods. Not sure how many of those may be waivable based on your masters work, but I'd focus on the stats and research methods in particular, which it sounds like you're doing.

Okay, thank you! I was hoping that would be the consensus. It turns out I couldn't even get financial aid for a certificate since it's not a degree seeking program and I would love to keep working until (if) I start a phd program. I just don't know if I can stand waiting for 2017 to get started if it turns out I need more than a couple of post bacc courses (which I can do while working).

I figured as much. The program, though, is for those who already have a masters in a mental health field. I've been working as a social worker doing therapy for a couple of years on top of my MSW, so the certificate would be appropriate and very interesting if that's all I wanted. But it looks like I'd be simply completing masters level psych courses without the degree. I might as well get research experience outside of a program (hopefully with a professor!) and take stats while keeping my full time job. Thanks again for your help!