Johns Hopkins HSI 2015-2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kmd93

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm scheduled to interview next week for the HSI program and I'm wondering if there are any other students out there in SDN land applying to the HSI program this year or any past students lurking around that I can bother with the myriad of questions that I have.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm scheduled to interview next week for the HSI program and I'm wondering if there are any other students out there in SDN land applying to the HSI program this year or any past students lurking around that I can bother with the myriad of questions that I have.
Hi Kmd93,

I am also applying for this program to hopefully start the summer of 2015. Do you mind me asking a few questions?

-When did you apply?
-How long did it take for you to get a response back?
-Why did you choose to apply in the first place?

I plan to apply in Jan after I take the MCAT and was wondering if that would be too late. I have taken the GRE however, I have attended their open house and learned that they prefer that we submit MCAT scores rather than a GRE score but I am worried I am risking losing a spot in the class. Best of luck on your interview! :)

PS - another forum was started earlier for this program (http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/johns-hopkins-post-bacc-health-science-intensive.1003085/) it might help getting some of your questions answered.

I applied November 10th and got an invite to do a Skype interview three days ago.

Do you mind telling me what questions they asked?

Also, did you get accepted!?!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone gotten accepted so far? I am almost done with my application hope to submit it by the end of this month.

Interviewing next week. Took them a month to schedule my interview so we will see how it goes.

Hello Everyone!

I sent in my application last week and received confirmation that my transcripts were received. Does anyone know if they also confirm that GRE scores were received? The email I got said I can check my application online to see if my application is complete but all I see is that it's been submitted.

Has anyone interviewed/gotten accepted? I know the time it takes in total from applying to interviewing and getting a decision is around 6 weeks.

Best of luck to everyone who has applied! :thumbup::prof:

Reactions: 1 users
My interview is tomorrow via Skype. I'm going to be asking what the timeline is for their decisions, hopefully I don't have to wait another few weeks. What other programs is everyone applying to?

My interview is tomorrow via Skype. I'm going to be asking what the timeline is for their decisions, hopefully I don't have to wait another few weeks. What other programs is everyone applying to?

Congrats!! Do you mind me asking when you applied and how long it took for you to get a response? I am applying to NSU's MSMS, UPenn, BU, and USF so far. How about you?

For sure. I applied November 3rd and heard back for an interview on Nov 23rd. It took them a while to schedule my interview, so I'm hoping it won't take that long for acceptance decisions.

I'm applying to UMich (Physiology MS) and Boston Univ. (Med Science Masters).

I am sure it took a while because of the holiday season hopefully they do not delay their final decision for you. Good luck on your interview and please share your experience with the rest of us hopefuls haha:xf::nod:.

I applied on the 30th and was told my file is complete however they are still processing my GRE scores. Hopefully it wont be too long till I hear back for a possible interview.. Do you know if everyone is guaranteed an interview or is it also selective?

For sure. I applied November 3rd and heard back for an interview on Nov 23rd. It took them a while to schedule my interview, so I'm hoping it won't take that long for acceptance decisions.

I'm applying to UMich (Physiology MS) and Boston Univ. (Med Science Masters).

Congrats on the interview!! How did it go? What type of questions were you asked?

For those who have interviewed or have been contacted for an interview, do you have an idea as to how often the committee meets to review applications and when interview requests are sent out?

Hi, I had my interview on the 5th of January, around the same dates as some of you. I got my acceptance today, an email from Dr. Selimyan. Have any of you heard back yet? When you do, let me know as I will be starting to look for places to live off campus (most likely). Good luck to everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)
For those who have interviewed or have been contacted for an interview, do you have an idea as to how often the committee meets to review applications and when interview requests are sent out?
Here are my replies to the previous questions by Queen H, Dr. Flowers, etc...
From what I heard they were going to meet in the beginning of this week to let us know by the end of this week, so about a week after the interview. And no, not everyone who applies gets an interview, those are selective too. For the email asking for the interview, it took them 5 weeks aprox. since the time my application was completed.
Some of the questions were: why become a doctor...if I could apply to one med school w/o the full application but just with one or two phrases, what would those sentences be...an obstacle and how I overcame it...3 things I wanted my interviewer to share with the committee (3 strengths)...thats all I remember, if anyone has anymore questions, let me know. Good luck!

Reactions: 3 users
From what I heard they were going to meet in the beginning of this week to let us know by the end of this week, so about a week after the interview. And no, not everyone who applies gets an interview, those are selective too. For the email asking for the interview, it took them 5 weeks aprox. since the time my application was completed.
Some of the questions were: why become a doctor...if I could apply to one med school w/o the full application but just with one or two phrases, what would those sentences be...an obstacle and how I overcame it...3 things I wanted my interviewer to share with the committee (3 strengths)...thats all I remember, if anyone has anymore questions, let me know. Good luck!

Congrats on getting accepted!! Thanks for sharing your experience during your interview. Do you mind me asking if you applied with an MCAT or GRE score? I submitted my GRE scores however I am taking my MCAT this month.

Congrats on getting accepted!! Thanks for sharing your experience during your interview. Do you mind me asking if you applied with an MCAT or GRE score? I submitted my GRE scores however I am taking my MCAT this month.
I actually applied with my SAT scores. They are about 5 years old but they worked. They werent all that good either, a little shy of 1900.

Last edited:
How did it go? Did you hear anything back yet?

I only found out about this program recently, do you think I could still stand a chance, even applying this late?

Yes, definitely. Theres no application deadline and me interviewer told me that the reason is because if someone really deserves it and they think they would make a good applicant, they are always open to admit anyone who would be a good fit for the program. So, if you're interested, you should apply

Hey y'all, I know this program is pretty new, but has anyone heard anything regarding the chances of getting into medical school following the HSI program? I'd appreciate any information! I've been accepted and trying to figure out whether I should attend.

Does anyone know if a master's in biotechnology that you receive after this program is actually marketable for job purposes vs. master's in medical or biomedical sciences?

Has anyone factored that in to their decision to go here vs.other master's programs with more direct lines into med school? This program is at least a 2 -3 yr commitment before you see potential results since they encourage you to finish the program before applying medical.

Hey y'all, I know this program is pretty new, but has anyone heard anything regarding the chances of getting into medical school following the HSI program? I'd appreciate any information! I've been accepted and trying to figure out whether I should attend.

Since there are no linkages with Hopkins or any other schools I think it depends on your performance and LORs and how well you can sell yourself to schools. Their first class is applying this cycle so I don't know how the numbers turned out

Nervous about applying because I have a mediocre GPA (3.51) and I didn't get a good grade on my Chem I prereq 7 years ago but I've taken up to Biochem II. So hoping that can be supplemented somehow. My GRE scores aren't that great as well but there's reasoning behind that. As long as I can squeeze into an interview I think I'll be fine! Has anyone else heard about acceptances/interviews yet??

I've been rejected with no interview. However I did get accepted to the Biotechnology Masters Program without the HSI concentration. Anyone know if there are options for transferring later in the year?

I've been rejected with no interview. However I did get accepted to the Biotechnology Masters Program without the HSI concentration. Anyone know if there are options for transferring later in the year?

Sorry to hear that! Did you apply to both separately or they just put you in the other program by default?

I know that it's a case by case issue per Dr. Tan but generally know there is no linkage between programs for transfer. Do you mind me asking what were your stats?

Sorry to hear that! Did you apply to both separately or they just put you in the other program by default?

When they emailed me with the rejection they gave me the option to have my application reviewed for the master's program without the concentration and I did and heard back a week later.

I know that it's a case by case issue per Dr. Tan but generally know there is no linkage between programs for transfer. Do you mind me asking what were your stats?

I will PM you.

Just got invited for an interview by Dr. Selimyan! Really excited. Hope it goes well! For anyone else who had the interview what kind of questions did they ask/you ask??

Just got invited for an interview by Dr. Selimyan! Really excited. Hope it goes well! For anyone else who had the interview what kind of questions did they ask/you ask??

Good luck!

Good luck!

Hoping it went well! I think I answered all of Dr. Selimyan's questions adequately! :X How long did it take after your interview for you to find out if you were accepted?

2 weeks i think. Read my previous posts with more details

I thought I killed the John Hopkins interview, they just rejected me....

Well I guess I'm going to Eastern Virginia

I don't wanna say but let's say it wasn't the best

I don't wanna say but let's say it wasn't the best
Well EVMS is reputable! And I believe the med school is a top feeder from the program! Good luck!

Well EVMS is reputable! And I believe the med school is a top feeder from the program! Good luck!
Thank you for your words I'm solo happy.. When you say top feeder can you elaborate?

I thought I killed the John Hopkins interview, they just rejected me....

I was rejected before even getting an interview but I was accepted for an MS in biotechnology. I plan to start this fall. With the help of a current student who was also rejected from HSI but ending up just doing the masters, I learned a lot about the program. You can sign up for every single class an HSI student is taking because it's not restricted to just them. You have the same exact opportunities as the HSI students including a committee letter for med school, applying to research, etc. In fact this former student told me some HSI students regretted doing to the program and really liked how this student had so much more flexibility with completing the degree.

If anyone who is rejected from HSI but is still interested in doing the MS in biotechnology (which is the same exact degree as HSI students) feel free to PM me. I have done a lot of research into the program and I've had plenty of questions answered by a current non HSI student.

Congrats to those who were accepted! Hopefully we will have classes together in the future. For those who were not accepted that's definitely okay you still have the opportunity to go to Hopkins and get the same degree as any HSI student

I was rejected before even getting an interview but I was accepted for an MS in biotechnology. I plan to start this fall. With the help of a current student who was also rejected from HSI but ending up just doing the masters, I learned a lot about the program. You can sign up for every single class an HSI student is taking because it's not restricted to just them. You have the same exact opportunities as the HSI students including a committee letter for med school, applying to research, etc. In fact this former student told me some HSI students regretted doing to the program and really liked how this student had so much more flexibility with completing the degree.

If anyone who is rejected from HSI but is still interested in doing the MS in biotechnology (which is the same exact degree as HSI students) feel free to PM me. I have done a lot of research into the program and I've had plenty of questions answered by a current non HSI student.

Congrats to those who were accepted! Hopefully we will have classes together in the future. For those who were not accepted that's definitely okay you still have the opportunity to go to Hopkins and get the same degree as any HSI student

I thought of that but I need structure so im going to EVMS

Congrats! I have some questions, if you don't mind answering. Does the MS in Biotechnology require the MCAT and/or GRE? Does it require an interview? And how competitive is it? Thanks in advance!

I thought of that but I need structure so im going to EVMS

Like I said you can take the same exact classes and follow the same exact schedule as HSI students. I heard they are no different except in that they take the MCAT course together. The student I spoke to met with their advisor and was given the HSI student schedule and signed up for all of their classes except for 3 because they chose to take harder classes that would help them when applying med school.

But congrats on getting EVMS! Best of luck and plus our common goal is Med school and I am sure we will all get there

Congrats! I have some questions, if you don't mind answering. Does the MS in Biotechnology require the MCAT and/or GRE? Does it require an interview? And how competitive is it? Thanks in advance!

Thank you! I applied to both the HSI program and the non concentration program with my GRE score. It does not require an interview. I am not sure how competitive it is but I would assume not as competitive as HSI because it's not limited to 60+ students but rather open to those who apply as it a regular Graduate school program.

If you get rejected from HSI, in your rejection letter they give you the option to apply to the biotechnology program. You don't send in anything additional you just have to send an email saying you want your application reviewed for the program to the email given in the rejection letter. I found out about 1-2 weeks after I think. I honestly was devastated I got rejected from HSI and thought I'd just have my application reviewed for the program just to see and I got in!

I am actually pretty excited I am just doing the masters and not the HSI concentration because I was in a biology honors program in undergrad. In undergrad I took biology courses and labs with my cohort of about 50 people that were more rigorous and challenging than the regular university biology courses. It was fairly new just like how HSI is new and there were constant changes to the program because they would fix previous mistakes from older cohorts.

Feel free to PM if you have any additional questions

Reactions: 1 users
@QueenH , I just received an email from JHU HSI with a denial outcome :( I am pretty devastated as this is my second rejection from them- even more discouraging is that last year I received an interview, this year I did not. I thought I came with some serious gusto and improvement this year but the cards just weren't in it for me I suppose..

In my rejection email, it does not mention the ability to apply to the regular MS in Biotech program. I still emailed them asking about it. Have you heard of any one else not receiving this note that one can apply to the regular MS?

@QueenH , I just received an email from JHU HSI with a denial outcome :( I am pretty devastated as this is my second rejection from them- even more discouraging is that last year I received an interview, this year I did not. I thought I came with some serious gusto and improvement this year but the cards just weren't in it for me I suppose..

In my rejection email, it does not mention the ability to apply to the regular MS in Biotech program. I still emailed them asking about it. Have you heard of any one else not receiving this note that one can apply to the regular MS?

I know how you feel

I am so sorry to hear! That is weird that the option to apply for the MS in biotech was not included in your rejection letter. Maybe the deadline for summer passed? You can always apply for the fall. But hopefully they respond to your email soon.

Honestly, don't feel discouraged! I plan to take almost all the courses the HSI students are going to take. It's not a bad thing you did not get in. Feel free to PM and I can share what information was given to me by a current student who was rejected from HSI but still pursued the MS in biotech.

I know how you feel
Thanks Love4Many...it hurts but I keep telling myself this journey makes me that much more hardened...However, are you officially accepted to EVMS? If so, that is awesome and congrats!!!! I'm going to put that program on my radar.

I am so sorry to hear! That is weird that the option to apply for the MS in biotech was not included in your rejection letter. Maybe the deadline for summer passed? You can always apply for the fall. But hopefully they respond to your email soon.

Honestly, don't feel discouraged! I plan to take almost all the courses the HSI students are going to take. It's not a bad thing you did not get in. Feel free to PM and I can share what information was given to me by a current student who was rejected from HSI but still pursued the MS in biotech.
Thanks for your words of encouragement Queen. Sometimes when you feel like you've got nothing left, it's the people around you that can help keep you up. I checked the site and it says the regular MS does not have any deadlines. So, I'm just waiting to hear back from them.

I read on another thread that you can speak with an adviser about switching to the HSI program when you're in the regular MS program. Does the MS offer MCAT prep like the HSI?

Yes I am officially accepted. Thank you ! ;) I just turned down an interview offer at wake forest and tcmc. What other schools you applied to