Johns Hopkins HSI 2015-2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks Love4Many...it hurts but I keep telling myself this journey makes me that much more hardened...However, are you officially accepted to EVMS? If so, that is awesome and congrats!!!! I'm going to put that program on my radar.

Thanks for your words of encouragement Queen. Sometimes when you feel like you've got nothing left, it's the people around you that can help keep you up. I checked the site and it says the regular MS does not have any deadlines. So, I'm just waiting to hear back from them.

I read on another thread that you can speak with an adviser about switching to the HSI program when you're in the regular MS program. Does the MS offer MCAT prep like the HSI?

Of course, no one should bring anyone down especially since we share a common goal :) trust me I've been rejected from so many opportunities but I truly believe other doors open, and they really do! It takes time but if you are truly passionate you will continue to pursue your dreams.

I inquired about switching into HSI and that is not allowed. Once you are rejected you are officially rejected. However you can take the same exact classes the HSI students are taking because after all they are completing the same exact MS in biotech. I can PM you a whole convo between me and a current Biotech student who was rejected from HSI. He says it's the best thing that has happened to him.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Of course, no one should bring anyone down especially since we share a common goal :) trust me I've been rejected from so many opportunities but I truly believe other doors open, and they really do! It takes time but if you are truly passionate you will continue to pursue your dreams.

I inquired about switching into HSI and that is not allowed. Once you are rejected you are officially rejected. However you can take the same exact classes the HSI students are taking because after all they are completing the same exact MS in biotech. I can PM you a whole convo between me and a current Biotech student who was rejected from HSI. He says it's the best thing that has happened to him.

I would also be interested in seeing this!

Hi all,
I was accepted into the HSI concentration and was wondering what all of you have heard about the program. I know it is fairly new and when I interviewed it was vague about how many of their students were accepted into med school following completion. Obviously, as the rest of you are doing the same, I want to make sure this program will set me up to get into med school and not waste money or time that could have been used for better preparation.

A little about me… I am looking to get my MS b/c my UG GPA is well below average for med school. I had an abysmal start which I eventually pulled up to a 3.3 with a 4.0 over my last 5 semesters of college after I figured out what I wanted. I Haven’t taken the MCAT yet but my GRE scores were respectable and I also have sufficient research, clinical, and volunteer experience.

So questions to any current students or incoming students that may know the answer…
How successful are students from the program being accepted into med school?
Are research opportunities available?
Will the classes/ curriculum offered be at a medical or graduate level, of which how many of the courses are applicable to the 1st 2 years of med school?
Is this the right type of program for individuals to strengthen their GPA?

Thanks

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all,
I was accepted into the HSI concentration and was wondering what all of you have heard about the program. I know it is fairly new and when I interviewed it was vague about how many of their students were accepted into med school following completion. Obviously, as the rest of you are doing the same, I want to make sure this program will set me up to get into med school and not waste money or time that could have been used for better preparation.

A little about me… I am looking to get my MS b/c my UG GPA is well below average for med school. I had an abysmal start which I eventually pulled up to a 3.3 with a 4.0 over my last 5 semesters of college after I figured out what I wanted. I Haven’t taken the MCAT yet but my GRE scores were respectable and I also have sufficient research, clinical, and volunteer experience.

So questions to any current students or incoming students that may know the answer…
Will the classes/ curriculum offered be at a medical or graduate level, of which how many of the courses are applicable to the 1st 2 years of med school?

Thanks

The main goal is to get students into medical school, which is the primary reason people apply so I think it's the right program for strengthening GPA.

I can't answer all your questions since I haven't even been accepted yet but it looks like preliminary results show great success for their students. From what Dr. Selimyan told me, as of 5 weeks ago, 100% of students in their first class had been offered med school interviews & as of ~2 weeks ago, 80% had been accepted into a medical school. Those are pretty good numbers, in my opinion! Very uplifting.

The main goal is to get students into medical school, which is the primary reason people apply so I think it's the right program for strengthening GPA.

I can't answer all your questions since I haven't even been accepted yet but it looks like preliminary results show great success for their students. From what Dr. Selimyan told me, as of 5 weeks ago, 100% of students in their first class had been offered med school interviews & as of ~2 weeks ago, 80% had been accepted into a medical school. Those are pretty good numbers, in my opinion! Very uplifting.

When i interviewed with JHU HSI I asked how did the inaugural class did I was told that a hundred percent got into medical school

Hi all,

Thanks

When i interviewed with JHU HSI I asked how did the inaugural class did I was told that a hundred percent got into medical school

That is excellent news. Did she give any indication as to which medical schools they were being accepted into?

When I interviewed with her she gave me a similar line: "100% have interviewed with medical schools, 80% have been accepeted"

I then followed this up with which medical schools and it seemed like not many, if any, were accepted into JH, but she mentioned some went to Duke and Georgetown

That is excellent news. Did she give any indication as to which medical schools they were being accepted into?

When I interviewed with her she gave me a similar line: "100% have interviewed with medical schools, 80% have been accepeted"

I then followed this up with which medical schools and it seemed like not many, if any, were accepted into JH, but she mentioned some went to Duke and Georgetown
She didn't tell me which schools

Hey everyone,
I was accepted into this program a few weeks ago and I am from out of state. Does anyone know anything about housing? Also, is there a Facebook group we can join to find roommates?
Thanks!!

I was told that the numbers werent in yet since the first class ever finished last year and they didn't all have responses so she (dr selimyan) couldn't give me those numbers of acceptance.
Also, I haven't received the fb group invitation yet but they told me theyre going to create one for us. I'm international so I definitely need to look for roommates too.

Accepted to the no concentration master's! Plan on taking the HSI track still though :)

Accepted to the no concentration master's! Plan on taking the HSI track still though :)

Congrats!! We should definitely keep in touch since we are in the same boat do you plan to start in the summer or fall?

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats!! We should definitely keep in touch since we are in the same boat do you plan to start in the summer or fall?
Definitely! And I plan on starting in the summer, what about you?

Definitely! And I plan on starting in the summer, what about you?

I've decided it's easier to start in the fall especially since I am moving from Miami, FL. I need more time to figure out a living situation and plan properly.

I've decided it's easier to start in the fall especially since I am moving from Miami, FL. I need more time to figure out a living situation and plan properly.
That sounds reasonable! We can still keep in touch and I can let you know how the classes are once they start have you already got your schedule worked out?

That sounds reasonable! We can still keep in touch and I can let you know how the classes are once they start have you already got your schedule worked out?

I think so! I've been looking online to see what will be offered in each semester. Let's definitely keep in touch, congrats again!

I think so! I've been looking online to see what will be offered in each semester. Let's definitely keep in touch, congrats again!
Same to you maybe we'll be in study groups together!

So for those of you who got into the regular MS program, did you guys apply to that program separately? Or did you guys get considered for it automatically, after applying to the HSI program?

So for those of you who got into the regular MS program, did you guys apply to that program separately? Or did you guys get considered for it automatically, after applying to the HSI program?

In my rejection letter they gave me the option to have my application considered for the non concentration MS in Biotechnology by sending an email they provided. I did, and got accepted about 2 weeks after.

Hey! So I'm in the same boat as most of you. Applied to HSI, interviewed and rejected. Then accepted into the MS in biotechology. I'm pretty positive I will be moving and attending this summer, but I'm still weighing the pro's and con's and have a few questions for you all.
As you know, the program is super flexible. Do we know the benefits of online vs. on campus for us applying to medical school this coming up cycle?
Also, anyone decide which campus they will be attending if they move up there? You have a choice between Homewood and Rockville and I can't decide or figure out if one is more beneficial to the other. I think that moving up there, for me at least, will be the best bet, because learning in that environment will be more beneficial to me. Plus, if I don't like it, the online option is always there and can move back to Florida.
I definitely agree to taking the same courses as the HSI program. From my understanding when I interviewed, HSI is more geared towards people who need volunteering and extra cirriculars, not so much a GPA booster. Which is why I think the MS in biotechology is a better fit for most anyway. The main question I keep asking myself is- is it really worth it? Anyone I tell is shocked as to why I am even hesitant, but you always have to be. Thank you all for you valubale informoation and hope I can help as much as you all have helped me!
Paige

Complete 3/10, Invited to interview 3/31, Interviewed 4/7, Accepted 4/10
Pretty sure I am going here, but I also have an acceptance to EVMS. Decision time.

Hey everyone! I was accepted to the HSI program about 2 weeks ago and have just officially accepted the offer. I was wondering if anyone has started to look into housing options yet. I think I'm going to head down there next weekend after I make a few appointments with some apartment complexes. I can let you all know rates and such if you're interested. I'm looking forward to meeting all of you!

Hey everyone! I was accepted to the HSI program about 2 weeks ago and have just officially accepted the offer. I was wondering if anyone has started to look into housing options yet. I think I'm going to head down there next weekend after I make a few appointments with some apartment complexes. I can let you all know rates and such if you're interested. I'm looking forward to meeting all of you!

+1, I sent you a message! Also from Jersey :)

Hey! So I'm in the same boat as most of you. Applied to HSI, interviewed and rejected. Then accepted into the MS in biotechology. I'm pretty positive I will be moving and attending this summer, but I'm still weighing the pro's and con's and have a few questions for you all.
As you know, the program is super flexible. Do we know the benefits of online vs. on campus for us applying to medical school this coming up cycle?
Also, anyone decide which campus they will be attending if they move up there? You have a choice between Homewood and Rockville and I can't decide or figure out if one is more beneficial to the other. I think that moving up there, for me at least, will be the best bet, because learning in that environment will be more beneficial to me. Plus, if I don't like it, the online option is always there and can move back to Florida.
I definitely agree to taking the same courses as the HSI program. From my understanding when I interviewed, HSI is more geared towards people who need volunteering and extra cirriculars, not so much a GPA booster. Which is why I think the MS in biotechology is a better fit for most anyway. The main question I keep asking myself is- is it really worth it? Anyone I tell is shocked as to why I am even hesitant, but you always have to be. Thank you all for you valubale informoation and hope I can help as much as you all have helped me!
Paige

Hey!

If you read online HSI students will take their courses at the Montgomery Campus (Rockville) and for non concentration you can take classes at both campuses but there are more options at the Montgomery Campus since Rockville is the hub for Biotechnology (from what I was told).

I plan to move up there as well but I do not plan to live in Rockville but rather in DC or VA. I was told from a current student that a lot of people who live in Rockville don't really like it, unless you plan to be studying 24/7. You will have free time to go out and enjoy the city so being about 30-45 minutes away can be annoying.

If you want I can send you a conversation between me and a current non concentration Biotech student that may help answer a lot of the questions you may have, just shoot me a PM :) Looking forward to meeting you soon!

My application was complete today. How long did it take you guys to hear whether you got accepted or not?

Paige

Hi Paige. I am a current student at the Hopkins MS in Biotech with no concentration. I think whether this degree has value or not will depend on what you intend to do with it. Are you dead-set on going straight to medical school afterwards, or do you have any interest in working in the area of Biotech for a bit to build up your resume before medical school? I don't think it would be too helpful as a GPA booster.

There are a number of options through this program for you if you'd like to build up some impressive additional extracurriculars. The NCI Fellowship through the Drug Discovery and Molecular Targets concentration allows you to work as an employee for NCI/NIH Labs. You receive a tuition waiver and a stipend. This degree program also has the USAMRIID Fellowship under their Biodefense concentration, where you work for the US Army as a civilian employee (I believe you have a tuition waiver as well and a stipend). Those fellowships would certainly make you stand out more on med school applications, and would certainly be valuable experiences to have on the job market (applications for those fellowships close sometime later this month, April 2015). In addition, Maryland has a fairly sizable biotech industry, so if you move up here, you can get a job with a company if you'd like. You may also try to get a job with the Hopkins medical school in Baltimore while in this program and receive some tuition remission. Those fellowships are a two year commitment, I believe, so if you're simply looking for a GPA booster, to do a speed run through this program and apply to medical school directly after without doing too much of anything else, it may not be worth the cost. If you were denied the HSI post-bacc, it may be more helpful to enroll in an SMP, or take undergrad courses at your undergrad institution or a community college to boost GPA, depending on your circumstances. Work with a pre-med advisor to determine what's best for your situation.

I don't know what your circumstances are, but you should know that the grades you earn through a Master's degree program are not factored into your undergraduate GPA, it is considered its own (graduate) GPA. There is a certain level of mystery regarding how medical schools would view graduate GPA, and whether it would override undergraduate GPA. Some schools may use sorting algorithms to sort applicants by undergrad GPA and MCAT before having human eyes review other aspects of your application. The only way this degree would count is if you can get human eyes to look at your application, which may mean having a competitive undergrad GPA + competitive MCAT to begin with.

Personally, when I began this program, I was still debating whether I should go to med school or work in industry for awhile before going on to PhD. I've received pretty decent job offers since I've been here (entered Summer 2014) and I do believe this master's did help me with that, so I am happy with my decision to attend Hopkins in that regard. I'm just about halfway done with this degree by the end of this semester, so I do know a bit about this program.

You don't necessarily have to take all your courses at one campus or the other, it is entirely up to you which campus you want to attend, even if you chose one campus on your application, you can still enroll in classes online or at another campus.

If you have any questions, PM me or reply.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Accepted! :D

And it's my 1000th post too!

Last edited:
Hey guys!

I interviewed for the HSI MS Biotech on 4/21 and was accepted 4/24! For those of you interviewing and waiting on a decision, best of luck to you and keep your head high, for those accepted, CONGRATS!!

I am an out-of-state student from Florida and do not know anyone in Maryland yet, therefore I am looking for a roommate to share an apartment with. I am hoping to find a reasonably priced apartment within 5 miles of the Montgomery Campus. I figured it would be better to live with a roommate because 1) it’s cheaper and 2) they can unlock the door when I lose my keys (but hopefully that won’t happen)!

I am going to be looking at (for) a 2bed/2bath so we both can have our own space and in a safe apartment building.

I am a 22-year old female and would prefer a female roommate. I am looking to move in by May 25th at the latest.

I am hoping to visit the campus within the next two weeks and I will also be making appointments to view apartments, so if anyone is interested, PM me :)

Does anybody know if there's good public transportation around the area? Or the best area to live in if you don't have a car? This is a big concern for me about whether I attend or not.

Last edited:
Does anybody know if there's good public transportation around the area? Or the best area to live in if you don't have a car? This is a big concern for me about whether I attend or not.

I've been doing a lot of apartment searching, since I am pretty much dead set on attending Hopkins for this program, and it seems that public transportation is extremely common and accessible in the area (I am from Florida so we don't even have metros and busses are not that popular amongst college students in my area). A lot of apartments close to JHU Mont. Campus, whether in Rockville or the neighboring cities such as Gaithersburg and Germantown, are close to the metro. Most apartments I've looked at are maybe a five minute walk to the metro and then a short ride to the campus. So there are plenty of options.

I received my acceptance on Friday! I am so excited. I am waiting to hear back from financial aid to see the likelihood of receiving loans. Can we make a facebook group? Since I was just accepted - I don't know anything about logistics. I haven't received a packet or anything, which I was told I would receive in the mail. I also really need a roommate!

Reactions: 2 users
Hi all!!
First off - best of luck to you all still in the process! Continue to be positive and confident. We'll all get to our dreams one day, some way!

I was accepted to HSI back in March and will be starting this summer. Obviously I'm a procrastinator so I'm looking for a female roommate! I have a car so I rather not live right next to the campus because it's costly. I found some really nice/ cheaper apartment complexes in Gaithersburg. Definitely looking for a 2bed/2bath type of situation so we can both do our own thing. I'm 22, super outgoing, friendly,and enjoy discussing world issues. Just looking for a chill and clean person to live with. Please PM me if you're interested!
I also haven't heard back from financial aid...they are really slow. I'm just so excited for more loans!! :banana:

Hey everyone. I am looking for a roommate. Hopefully I am added to the facebook page soon so I can look there as well. I just got back from a visit to Rockville to look at housing (I am from Florida; long drive). Please PM me if you are also looking for a roommate or would like to talk about housing, as I would be glad to share my findings.

Do you guys know if this program encourages application to medical school while in the program?

Do you guys know if this program encourages application to medical school while in the program?

On their FAQ page they have an Open House video where they discuss how they feel about that. Basically they say it's entirely up to you to decide whether or not to apply while in the program or after the program. Either way they will support you.

Personal thought: If you're a great candidate, go ahead and apply during the program. However, what's the point of attending the program if you're not using your grades from the program or letter of reccs along with your application? Yeah...you can update your grades in December/January but I would hope you'd want to you receive interviews before that. It's a hefty price to pay when you're not really utilizing anything from the program....but that's just my opinion. I don't know **** :laugh:

If there are any current or former M.S. in Biotechnology students around, could you tell us if you found the curriculum rigorous? And do you have any comments on the quality of the professors?

Hey!

If you read online HSI students will take their courses at the Montgomery Campus (Rockville) and for non concentration you can take classes at both campuses but there are more options at the Montgomery Campus since Rockville is the hub for Biotechnology (from what I was told).

I plan to move up there as well but I do not plan to live in Rockville but rather in DC or VA. I was told from a current student that a lot of people who live in Rockville don't really like it, unless you plan to be studying 24/7. You will have free time to go out and enjoy the city so being about 30-45 minutes away can be annoying.

If you want I can send you a conversation between me and a current non concentration Biotech student that may help answer a lot of the questions you may have, just shoot me a PM :) Looking forward to meeting you soon!

Hello could you send me that conversation please :):)

Any of the non-concentration MS students decide what classes you plan to take this fall? I met with my adviser while I was looking for housing 2 weeks ago and it was great! I am very excited to start this program :soexcited:

For all the students who are taking classes right now, how do you like the program so far?

I have a Female friend looking for female roommate to begin this fall. She is also doing the MS in Biotech nonconcentration. She will be taking classes only at the Montgomery campus and is looking to live in Rockville, DC, or VA. If you need a roommate please message me!

Hi all, I have been accepted to the 2016-2017 HSI program, and I have hoping to gain some insight on where most students live off-campus. I am aware that the courses for the program are at the Montgomery County Campus. If anyone can provide me with information on where most students live or where they would suggest living to optimize one's experience while in the program, I would greatly appreciate it!

Thank you.

How did the MS in Biotech turn out for you guys from last year?

just curious, would you still happen to have this convo handy? Just got accepted to the biotech program and would love to talk to someone to get more information on planning my time OR if pursuing such degree is even worth it. Thanks!