Johns Hopkins MSPH Fall 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tRNA272

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! Wondering if anyone has heard back from Hopkin's MSPH programs?
I turned in mine back in November and when I checked back late December, they said they wouldn't start reviewing my application until after the new year. So nervous...

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I turned in mine back in November and when I checked back late December, they said they wouldn't start reviewing my application until after the new year. So nervous...

I got an email saying my application has been sent for review on the 30th Dec. They said it'll take 8-10 weeks to hear back and from previous years it looks like they send notifications around March.

What department/track did you apply to? Mine was for International Health-Health Systems.

Reactions: 1 user
I submitted an application in November too, for the MSPH/RD program. No response yet. I was told it takes 6-8weeks to make regular decisions and an additional 2-3weeks for the RD program. From the threads I've seen, I believe the earliest response for International Health was about Feb 6th.

Members don't see this ad :)
@Ani7 - I applied to health systems too! The earliest Ive seen in previous years is actually Jan 20/26 and the rest in Feb and Mar.

@HPM - Ya I guess we'll have to wait a little bit longer. Hopefully with good news.

@Ani7 - I applied to health systems too! The earliest Ive seen in previous years is actually Jan 20/26 and the rest in Feb and Mar.

@HPM - Ya I guess we'll have to wait a little bit longer. Hopefully with good news.

I've seen a few acceptances for the MPH, I guess they are reviewing those applications before they move on to MSPH applications.
Hopefully we'll hear back sometime in February then!

I see on their blog they just extended the deadline for MSPH - International Health programs. Not sure what that means in terms of decisions being released. Still expecting good news though!

Just checked the portal this morning and my decision was up! Accepted to the MSPH program!

Reactions: 1 users
@han1234 Congratulations, that's so awesome! My program has interviews over the next two weeks. I got an invitation to interview yesterday!!!

Just got a phone call this afternoon telling me I was accepted into the MSPH in Health Education and Health Communication program!!! Was told I'll get a formal acceptance letter soon.

Just got a phone call this afternoon telling me I was accepted into the MSPH in Health Education and Health Communication program!!! Was told I'll get a formal acceptance letter soon.

Does the portal also have your acceptance?
I lost my phone a few days ago with the phone number I listed on the application, and when I tried to change the number today, I wasn't able to make any changes to the application.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does the portal also have your acceptance?
I lost my phone a few days ago with the phone number I listed on the application, and when I tried to change the number today, I wasn't able to make any changes to the application.

Yes, I just checked and the portal has my acceptance letter. I also got a more detailed letter emailed to me from the department chair.

Got my acceptance letter last night to the health management and policy dept! MSPH in Health Policy!

Congratulations everyone! Still waiting for a decision. They extended their deadline to March so I waited a bit longer to submit my application.

Just accepted to the MSPH program in International Health GDEC! They posted the acceptance on the website, no official email yet.

Just accepted to the MSPH program in International Health GDEC! They posted the acceptance on the website, no official email yet.
Congratulations! Is this on the application portal? I didn't receive instructions to set up an account anywhere else

Congratulations! Is this on the application portal? I didn't receive instructions to set up an account anywhere else
Yes, on the application portal it said they reached a decision and there was a link to it. The following day I received an email.

Last edited:
Yes, on the application portal it said they reached a decision and there was a link to it. The following day I received an email.
Fantastic! Hope I get some good news in the next few weeks :) congratulations again

Got the official email today - accepted to MSPH Global Disease Epidemiology and Control (GDEC)! :D Had my mom and my cat double-check to make sure I wasn't dreaming haha

Reactions: 3 users
Got the official email today - accepted to MSPH Global Disease Epidemiology and Control (GDEC)! :D Had my mom and my cat double-check to make sure I wasn't dreaming haha
Congrats!! Is Johns Hopkins your first choice? I am deciding between this and my second choice is probably GLEPI at Emory. What are you thinking?

Congrats!! Is Johns Hopkins your first choice? I am deciding between this and my second choice is probably GLEPI at Emory. What are you thinking?

Thanks, you too! I'm actually having a similar decision to make- between JH, Emory GLEPI, and UMich Global Health Epi. JH seems like it should be my top choice for the quality of education and opportunities, but I'm really unsure about living in Baltimore (I've never lived in a big city before, and Atlanta seems much safer, at least where Emory is), and I don't know about the cutthroat reputation of JH - at first glance Emory and UMich seem to have more welcoming environments. What about you?

CONGRATS!!! Waiting on news as well!

Accepted today! MSPH International Health-Health Systems! Super excited!

ME TOOO!!! So excited!!! :)

Are you planning on attending or waiting to hear back from others first?
I think i'm pretty set on Hopkins, the program is exactly in line with my future goals.

Are you planning on attending or waiting to hear back from others first?
I think i'm pretty set on Hopkins, the program is exactly in line with my future goals.
I'm not sure Hopkins is definitely my top choice, and its best fit towards my goals as well! But I'm still having a hard time deciding between hopkins, columbia, and emory. I think money is definitely a factor. Plus I was thinking about the MSPH vs an MPH - i don't think it matters but I can't decide yet.

I'm not sure Hopkins is definitely my top choice, and its best fit towards my goals as well! But I'm still having a hard time deciding between hopkins, columbia, and emory. I think money is definitely a factor. Plus I was thinking about the MSPH vs an MPH - i don't think it matters but I can't decide yet.

Yeah I was thinking about the MSPH vs MPH as well, but after talking to people I realised the MPH is more of a terminal degree whereas the MSPH aids in continuing to a DrPH / PhD, and I definitely am aiming to study more after.
MSPH gives 75% off tuition in the second year and that was a factor for me too!
Are you waiting for any other schools or have you already heard back from everywhere? My top choices were Yale and Hopkins. Im still waiting for Yale, but I hear they have been having issues with funding so...

Yeah I was thinking about the MSPH vs MPH as well, but after talking to people I realised the MPH is more of a terminal degree whereas the MSPH aids in continuing to a DrPH / PhD, and I definitely am aiming to study more after.
Are you waiting for any other schools or have you already heard back from everywhere? My top choices were Yale and Hopkins. I'm still waiting for Yale, but I hear they have been having issues with funding so...

Ya thats definitely true and I want to do an MD afterwards so it will be useful. As for the 75% tuition off - that equated the total tuition to all the other schools normal amount.
I also applied to Yale and haven't heard back but my top choices were Hopkins, Columbia, and Emory so now its just deciding.

Is anyone going to Admitted Students day on April 8th??

Accepted to MSPH Social and Behavioral Sciences!!!:soexcited::clap::claps:

Just got a rejection. Maybe next year :( . Good luck to everyone who is still waiting. Great school to attend for a masters.

For anyone waiting on their financial aid information, it looks like the school is having problems sending the ISIS login information to admitted students with gmail accounts. They should have sent them soon after you got your acceptance. I just contacted them to let them know I haven't received it and they had to resend it!

For anyone waiting on their financial aid information, it looks like the school is having problems sending the ISIS login information to admitted students with gmail accounts. They should have sent them soon after you got your acceptance. I just contacted them to let them know I haven't received it and they had to resend it!
Thanks! Who did you email?

Are you waiting for any other schools or have you already heard back from everywhere? My top choices were Yale and Hopkins. Im still waiting for Yale, but I hear they have been having issues with funding so...

The Hopkins MPH is mostly for people who already have either professional experience or public health experience with the additional year of MSPH I think helping people coming from undergraduate to develop their public health goals and gain relevant experience while in the program-that's at least the impression I got from the admissions officer I spoke to last year when deciding what program was right for me (I have a degree so I applied for the MPH). From what I have read, the MSPH still has great value in the public health world and of the hopkins name also being a good factor. Unfortunately Hopkins does seem to have less of financial aid offerings than other schools :\ but I did speak to some MSPH students who love it and are happy with their decision

I submitted mine the day before it was due I believe and just found out I got in today! I checked on the application portal, I haven't received an email yet.

I was accepted on Friday for an MSPH in international health!!! So excited right now!! I also applied to the RD program and was waitlisted. Now to make some serious decisions...

I was accepted on Friday for an MSPH in international health!!! So excited right now!! I also applied to the RD program and was waitlisted. Now to make some serious decisions...
Congratulations! Which concentration? :D

Congratulations! Which concentration? :D

Thanks! It's for Human Nutrition. Side note: do you know if MSPH candidates are limited to research positions post graduation?

Thanks! It's for Human Nutrition. Side note: do you know if MSPH candidates are limited to research positions post graduation?
I've been trying to find info out about this very question also! I sent career services an email yesterday requesting any data they have around the activities graduates pursue, i.e. research v. employment v. further study. I'll post whatever info they send my way. The only info readily accessible (that I could find) via their site was through here: http://www.jhsph.edu/departments/international-health/alumni/ and clicking around the different links. It doesn't seem like people are limited to research positions but a lot of them certainly seem to opt for research focused ones

Accepted to Population, Family, and Reproductive Health! Anyone else in this program?

@HPM So I heard back and they told me they don't collect that sort of data and we should check out the alumni profiles, aka the links I listed above.

@HPM So I heard back and they told me they don't collect that sort of data and we should check out the alumni profiles, aka the links I listed above.

Is that concerning that they don't collect that sort of data? I know emory has really extensive information on where graduates go and what percent are employed after graduation. It's just nice to know, especially for a less traditional degree like an MSPH