Johns Hopkins MSPH Fall 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
@HPM So I heard back and they told me they don't collect that sort of data and we should check out the alumni profiles, aka the links I listed above.
That's a bit strange in my opinion. You would think if departments hear great things about alumni jobs they would gather the info for prospective students.

Members don't see this ad.

Is that concerning that they don't collect that sort of data? I know emory has really extensive information on where graduates go and what percent are employed after graduation. It's just nice to know, especially for a less traditional degree like an MSPH
@HPM

This seems very concerning....every other school I've applied to collects this data and usually has it readily accessible on their website. I'm going to admitted students day so I'll make a point to chat with career services people and ask them.

Side note. Is anyone on this thread choosing between Hopkins and Harvard? I am and I'd be interested to hear people's thoughts if they are leaning towards either and, if so, why.

Reactions: 1 users
@HPM

This seems very concerning....every other school I've applied to collects this data and usually has it readily accessible on their website. I'm going to admitted students day so I'll make a point to chat with career services people and ask them.

Side note. Is anyone on this thread choosing between Hopkins and Harvard? I am and I'd be interested to hear people's thoughts if they are leaning towards either and, if so, why.
Literally my exact dilemma right now. Harvard gave me some funding which makes it cheaper than JHU so that's where I'm leaning towards BUT I am still open and torn between both. I'm in at Harvard for SM Global Health and Population and JHU for MSPH international health social and behavioral interventions.

Any thoughts/comments would be great

Members don't see this ad :)
That's a bit strange in my opinion. You would think if departments hear great things about alumni jobs they would gather the info for prospective students.
I wouldn't worry too much about the employment issue, the people I have spoken to in the industry said that if you do well at either JHU or Harvard you're basically guaranteed a job.

Literally my exact dilemma right now. Harvard gave me some funding which makes it cheaper than JHU so that's where I'm leaning towards BUT I am still open and torn between both. I'm in at Harvard for SM Global Health and Population and JHU for MSPH international health social and behavioral interventions.

Any thoughts/comments would be great
I would look closely at the courses you'd take at both schools and also find out which school would offer a theoretical vs practical approach. Funding is an important factor as well though. Is one program significantly shorter than the other? More rigorous?

Anyone going to admitted students day on the 8th?

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone going to admitted students day on the 8th?
Unfortunately I can't make it to either day :(
If anyone (particularly GDEC students) does go I'd love to hear your thoughts/impressions!

Hello, all! I was recently (3/9) accepted to the MSPH in Population, Family, and Reproductive Health.

Has anyone received information about departmental scholarships or know when we might receive this information?

Anyone here is in for MSPH for Occupational and Environmental Hygiene?? BTW, i am going to the admitted student day on April 1st.

Just got a phone call this afternoon telling me I was accepted into the MSPH in Health Education and Health Communication program!!! Was told I'll get a formal acceptance letter soon.
@levaughan Congrats! I also got into the MSPH in Health Education and Health Communication :) I'm debating between this program, PopFam at Columbia, and the MPH program in Community Health Sciences at UCLA. Have you heard good things about the MSPH in HEHC at Hopkins?

@levaughan Congrats! I also got into the MSPH in Health Education and Health Communication :) I'm debating between this program, PopFam at Columbia, and the MPH program in Community Health Sciences at UCLA. Have you heard good things about the MSPH in HEHC at Hopkins?

@Snapback22 Congrats to you too! I live in Baltimore so I was able to go to the Admitted Students Day last week. I left totally committed to attending the program this fall. The students pretty much raved about the program and the professors in the HBS department (which houses the program) seemed really great and passionate about connecting with students. The coolest thing is the variety of courses they offer. Even with the term (as opposed to semester) schedule, I know I'm going to have a hard time fitting every class in that I'll want to take. It sounds like students end up with great field placements after the first year of classes, and everyone from last year's class has a job in their desired field. This is coming from a friend who finished this degree in 2015. In general, I got the vibe that everyone felt like the degree was a good investment. When I asked students what they didn't like about the school they mentioned how the school as a whole is very research oriented. The HBS department is pretty good for students who are more focused on field-based work or as practitioners rather than researchers, but since Hopkins takes pride in being a research institution, a lot of the classes outside of the department highlight that research aspect of work.

So long story short, lots of good things! If you have any specific questions about Baltimore or the program - feel free to ask!

@Snapback22 Congrats to you too! I live in Baltimore so I was able to go to the Admitted Students Day last week. I left totally committed to attending the program this fall. The students pretty much raved about the program and the professors in the HBS department (which houses the program) seemed really great and passionate about connecting with students. The coolest thing is the variety of courses they offer. Even with the term (as opposed to semester) schedule, I know I'm going to have a hard time fitting every class in that I'll want to take. It sounds like students end up with great field placements after the first year of classes, and everyone from last year's class has a job in their desired field. This is coming from a friend who finished this degree in 2015. In general, I got the vibe that everyone felt like the degree was a good investment. When I asked students what they didn't like about the school they mentioned how the school as a whole is very research oriented. The HBS department is pretty good for students who are more focused on field-based work or as practitioners rather than researchers, but since Hopkins takes pride in being a research institution, a lot of the classes outside of the department highlight that research aspect of work.

So long story short, lots of good things! If you have any specific questions about Baltimore or the program - feel free to ask!

Since you live in Baltimore. What area do you live in/recommend living in?

Since you live in Baltimore. What area do you live in/recommend living in?

Depends on your preferences in terms of commute, ease of parking, what you're looking for, etc. The main neighborhoods that are within walking distance or are on the Hopkins Shuttle or circulator line are: Fells Point, Patterson Park, Butcher's Hill, Inner Harbor, Downtown, Mt Vernon, and Hampden. The first three are closest to the school and I kinda listed the rest in order of distance. I live in Hampden which is closer to the Homewood campus. Mt Vernon and Hampden are easier parking wise, are more quirky, closer to cultural and artsy stuff, and are cheaper. The closer ones are more expensive but are an easier commute, have a lot of cool places, and are where a lot of your classmates will probably live. Everyone thinks their neighborhood is best so you can't really go wrong - they all have a lot to offer and easy access to restaurants, bars, etc.

Does anyone know if there's a facebook group (or anything) for MSPH students attending this fall?

Does anyone know if there's a facebook group (or anything) for MSPH students attending this fall?

I don't think so, I tried looking and only found the MPH group.

The info session I attended mentioned that once all students have accepted, there will be a forum on the courseplus site to talk to each other, find housing etc.