Johns Hopkins

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

C San Francisc

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I may need to go to DC for family reasons. Does anyone have experience with Johns Hopkins?

Members don't see this ad.

hi, i'm currently a peds resident at hopkins who was in a similar boat as you...i knew i needed to be in the d.c. area due to family reasons. I investigated programs in virginia, d.c. (d.c. children's and hopkins), univ. of maryland, chop, and hopkins. Hopkins stood out as the best choice for me immediately, and I definitely made the right choice.

Hopkins is a large program but not huge..about 25-27 per class. It's obviously a quarternary care center so you see tons of weird and interesting stuff, but you definitely get great exposure to bread and butter pediatrics that is so important, in addition to community hospital rotations. our program director is phenomenal, and i feel very well supported here. The residents are a very interesting group of people with interest outside of medicine as well...and they know how to have a good time, which is very important to me. we're always looking out for each other and have a great time at work.

most of our attendings are very laid back individuals, despite being some of the foremost people in their respective fields, they have great rapport with the residents and are always teaching.

Very importantly, hopkins peds was one of the only programs to set a plan in place very early to comply with the work week regulations. we are on call only twice per month on the regular ward teams, due to a great night float system. the only time you do Q4 is when you are at the community hospital two months out of the year for well baby nursery and general wards. each resident does one month of night float total per year.

hope this all helps. i'll be glad to answer any more questions you might have. best of luck!:clap: