Joining a Pre-Osteopathic Club

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Printer5000

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I would like to get some advice on whether or not I should join a pre-osteo club. I am worried that joining this club will cause allopathic schools to think I am only interested in osteopathic schools. I will be blunt by saying that I would rather join an MD program because of the residency options that would be available to me in the future (even though I don't know which specialty I would want to do). Now, I know that the residency merger is supposed to be fully implemented by 2020; but from what I can tell, I don't think anybody knows for sure if osteopaths will have better match rates in the more competitive specialties (somebody please provide links to correct me if I am wrong).

The reason I want to join the club is four-fold:

1. I really appreciate the DO philosophy, and I would love to educate other students who are not aware of osteopathic medicine.

2. The club is reasonable small, about 60 students, and I already know more statistics and the process of applying than at least most of the leaders of the club thanks to SDN. In fact, My knowledge impressed them enough to put me right into a leadership position. I need a leadership role.

3. I have no research experience, and they offered me a great shot at getting some; I don't really care about what kind of research because I don't think I am interested in doing it, but we all know that it's a good thing to have these days.

4. If I fail to get into an MD program, I think this would be extremely beneficial to have on my resume for DO schools.

I thought about joining this club, and maybe omitting it from the MD apps, only putting it on the DO apps. What does everyone think about that, if that is even possible? I would love to get some advice from the adcoms as well. For reference, I am a junior this year, and I am planning on applying in June of next year. I have a 3.8 cgpa and sgpa, and over the summer studied hardcore for the MCAT for two months and took a couple tests and got about a 24 on both practice tests I took, verbal was 7, PS and BS was 8-9 (I did not take the real MCAT because of that). I have pretty solid extracurricular and volunteer experiences, but lack research.

TL;DR: Will joining a osteopathic club hinder my opportunities in joining an allopathic school?

Members don't see this ad.

Tricky question...

I'd play it safe and call it a pre-health club for your allopathic app, it is separate from the DO applications

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello everyone. I would like to get some advice on whether or not I should join a pre-osteo club. I am worried that joining this club will cause allopathic schools to think I am only interested in osteopathic schools. I will be blunt by saying that I would rather join an MD program because of the residency options that would be available to me in the future (even though I don't know which specialty I would want to do). Now, I know that the residency merger is supposed to be fully implemented by 2020; but from what I can tell, I don't think anybody knows for sure if osteopaths will have better match rates in the more competitive specialties (somebody please provide links to correct me if I am wrong).

The reason I want to join the club is four-fold:

1. I really appreciate the DO philosophy, and I would love to educate other students who are not aware of osteopathic medicine.

2. The club is reasonable small, about 60 students, and I already know more statistics and the process of applying than at least most of the leaders of the club thanks to SDN. In fact, My knowledge impressed them enough to put me right into a leadership position. I need a leadership role.

3. I have no research experience, and they offered me a great shot at getting some; I don't really care about what kind of research because I don't think I am interested in doing it, but we all know that it's a good thing to have these days.

4. If I fail to get into an MD program, I think this would be extremely beneficial to have on my resume for DO schools.

I thought about joining this club, and maybe omitting it from the MD apps, only putting it on the DO apps. What does everyone think about that, if that is even possible? I would love to get some advice from the adcoms as well. For reference, I am a junior this year, and I am planning on applying in June of next year. I have a 3.8 cgpa and sgpa, and over the summer studied hardcore for the MCAT for two months and took a couple tests and got about a 24 on both practice tests I took, verbal was 7, PS and BS was 8-9 (I did not take the real MCAT because of that). I have pretty solid extracurricular and volunteer experiences, but lack research.

TL;DR: Will joining a osteopathic club hinder my opportunities in joining an allopathic school?
They offer research opportunities! Go do it~~~
I was the same way during sophomore year about research, but ended up absorbed in it.

You also need a DO letter, so if that club offers networking opportunities or shadowing opportunities with a DO, awesome.

I don't see the point in talking about club involvement though, unless you've done something significant to contribute/maintain it. So leaving it out of the MD may be an option for you.

In my school I am apart of both clubs. Can't go wrong that way.

I'm sorry but joining a pre med club isn't going to get you into med school, and so likewise it won't keep you out.

Pre med clubs are such bs. Do something authentic and quit looking so one dimensional. I purposely stayed out of premed clubs because the way I see it, most pre meds are destined for failure and I didn't want to be a part of that vast premed group.

Reactions: 1 user
Some pre-med clubs offer valuable information about medical ethics, current research, and also have shadowing opportunities. It really depends on the club though.

They are helpful, but not essential.