Joining clubs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Turkishking

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Should I join the Biology club as a secretary, and should I continue on volunteering every weekend. Or is it to early for volunteering? I'm currently a freshman in college.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Your GPA trumps everything else in 1st year. I don't see why you couldn't do a bit of volunteering on weekends, but if you feel it is at all making it harder for you to maintain your grades, stop. You'll have plenty of time for volunteering/ECs over the next 4 years, but what you can't do is erase poor grades. Once you're extremely comfortable with managing your coursework, you can add on as many things as you want. You'll find that you get into a comfortable rhythm with studying later on, but right now you have to get your bearings.

If you feel like you can handle all of the above, do it! It is true that you GPA does have huge weights your first year, and it's much easier to maintain a high GPA from the start than to play catch-up for the next 3 years. However, there is no such thing as too early to volunteer. If you're confident, get out there and get it done.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just to emphasize on the Bio club, since you listed that specifically, at many places it consist of guest speakers and presentations. After you pay your dues ($7 where I'm at) no one keeps track if you attend it or not. Thus, if you only want to be a member to say you were.... then go for it :).

-Realistically, you won't have a lot of work to do, or just be a member and possibly never show up ;).

Just to emphasize on the Bio club, since you listed that specifically, at many places it consist of guest speakers and presentations. After you pay your dues ($7 where I'm at) no one keeps track if you attend it or not. Thus, if you only want to be a member to say you were.... then go for it :).

-Realistically, you won't have a lot of work to do, or just be a member and possibly never show up ;).
Thank you. Where do you go to school?

Turkiyeden nerelisin? Ben hataydan geldim.

Your GPA trumps everything else in 1st year. I don't see why you couldn't do a bit of volunteering on weekends, but if you feel it is at all making it harder for you to maintain your grades, stop. You'll have plenty of time for volunteering/ECs over the next 4 years, but what you can't do is erase poor grades. Once you're extremely comfortable with managing your coursework, you can add on as many things as you want. You'll find that you get into a comfortable rhythm with studying later on, but right now you have to get your bearings.
I just wanna pat your avatar on the head.

I do too. But I think I can handle all that.
I can handle it too, unless you meant "I cant", well I still stand by my statement. I CAN AND WILL HANDLE THAT!