Joint Commission Lab Accreditation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

univlad

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is anyone familiar with the lab accreditation product from The Joint Commission and how it compares to CAP accreditation?

I have a feeling my midsized community hospital lab will be pressured (forced) into switching due to cost considerations. With CAP, I've always felt relatively prepared for lab inspections since they have good checklists for their standards. I've actually learned a lot doing the inspections of other labs--things to avoid and also good tips for improvement. I kind of see moving from CAP to TJC inspecitons as a step down but am wondering what others' experiences are...

http://www.jointcommission.org/accreditation/laboratory_seeking_accreditation.aspx

Members don't see this ad.

Joint commission: one inspector, multi-day inspections, more geared towards clinical lab QC analytics, very much down emphasized AP

CAP: multiple inspectors, one day inspection, focus more dispersed, much more emphasis on AP

Joint commission is easy if you have an inspector you click with and a nightmare if it is confrontational. CAP has much higher standards in AP esp. personnel qualifications for grossing. I personally favor JC.

I've heard nightmares about joint commission from the few labs in my area that use them.

CAP inspections, in my experience, are a piece of cake. About 1/2 to 2/3 of the day is spent inspecting and in the afternoon the inspection team is busy doing pre-summation, summation etc. It's a race to leave at a decent hour.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've heard nightmares about joint commission from the few labs in my area that use them.

CAP inspections, in my experience, are a piece of cake. About 1/2 to 2/3 of the day is spent inspecting and in the afternoon the inspection team is busy doing pre-summation, summation etc. It's a race to leave at a decent hour.
I agree that CAP inspections are pretty low key affairs if each area spends the time to make sure they're in compliance with the checklists. You know what you're being inspected and on and have documentation ready for each checklist question. What sort of nightmares have you heard from the labs around you?

JC was always a breeze.

CAP has a nice checklist which is easy to follow. However, the never ending additions to the CAP check lists make me think JC is much easier.
JC inspectors are usually very well trained. They don't go easy on you if your lab is not in good shape. Chances are if your CAP inspections have been fine so will JC.

We've dumped both CAP and JCAHO, only get inspected by DOH now. I don't do anymore than issue a greeting when they come by...

Have any others switched from CAP to Joint Commission? What things did you miss from your CAP accreditation days? Do you face additional challenges?

JC was cake, we just switched. The fortuante thing is that other department other than the lab drop the ball (i.e. Resp / nursing not charting communication of criticals etc, so the the number of true lab deficiencies was low in our recent inspection.

AP review by the med tech they send is a joke. I sat across from the inspector and watched her make sure the slide was labelled and we logged all the NG Cyto times for each slide. Its a sick comedy that this is what it has come too. Couldn't nail me on anything. Its all smoke and mirrors and doesn't improve quality or efficiency, these inspections are a joke.

The lab switched for costs, CAP is much more costly.
No skin of my nose, gets me out of having to do CAP inspections.