journal article access in private practice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

elburrito

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For any of you who work in private practice...how do you access full journal articles? Obviously when I was in training I had access to whichever articles I needed via pubmed. Now that I'm out in practice my group doesn't maintain institutional membership through Ovid/athens, etc. and thus when browsing through Pubmed I'm left seeing the abstracts only. There are too many journals I would be interested in to pay for annual subscriptions to each.

Members don't see this ad.

If you have an official appointment at a hospital you can often get electronic access to journal articles through the hospital. That's what I do with my group.

Nice to see a non job market related topic.

I'm a forensic path, employed by a government agency, but we get an appointment in the local University's pathology department, which is our way into getting journal articles outside our specific field of FP (as we have office subscriptions to the three main ones).

As a backup, there's always asking a friend in academia to 'share' with you.

Members don't see this ad :)
The librarians at the medical library e-mail the full text to us anytime we fill out a request and mark it urgent clinical patient care request.

The librarian at the hospital library will get any article we need.

Our hospital subscribes to a subset or journals so some of them I can get. But a lot they don't. So like above you can ask and the librarian will send to you. I sometimes also ask people I trained with who are still in academics to send to me, as long as I don't do it excessively they are ok with that.