Journal pub vs conference poster

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lccjblu

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it considered weak if you don't have a journal pub despite having lots of conference posters? So the issue right now is that my first project I spent all year doing ended up having pretty poor data and as a result a paper probably won't result. I've dabbled in a few other projects and will have posters out of them, but i probably won't have enough time to go through the review process for a journal pub before fellowship apps. Will this weaken my app significantly?

Members don't see this ad.

1. Posters are better than no research experience/productivity
2. If the posters are primary research presented at a major (inter)national meeting, that's great.
3. As you point out, too many posters without following publication can rub experienced researchers/faculty the wrong way as it may suggests that you cannot finish projects or something in your work is flawed, thus your stuff gets stuck in peer review.

I would just bring it up during the interviews, there are many reasonable explanations that are better than being judged unfairly. I doubt that you won't get an interview because of this, so you should have ample opportunities to talk about your love for research.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 user