Journal Publication Stats?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Miggs

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any stats on how many applicants have journal publications or papers? A friend of mine who just matriculated told me the number is around 5% of all applicants, but can anyone confirm or deny this? I'm not counting posters or presentations or anything like that, only real papers that would be found on pubmed or something.

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone have any stats on how many applicants have journal publications or papers? A friend of mine who just matriculated told me the number is around 5% of all applicants, but can anyone confirm or deny this? I'm not counting posters or presentations or anything like that, only real papers that would be found on pubmed or something.
Who cares

But no, no one should have. AAMC does not, no one else can

Members don't see this ad :)
I think this would be an interesting stat to know as well ... perhaps AAMC will collect this data in the future, but for now I don't think it is widely available. Some schools may individually report it on their websites, but I haven't seen it yet. I would assume the stat is highly variable based on the school in question -- i.e. a top-20/research heavy school will likely have more published applicants/matriculates than a more service-oriented school.

Reactions: 1 user
I feel as if it has to be a bit higher than that. At Geisel (ranking in the 30s) this year, "About 20 percent of the class has already had work published in book chapters and scientific journals, such as the Journal of Neuroscience, Oncogene, Journal of Global Health Perspectives, PLoS One, and Science."

http://geiselmed.dartmouth.edu/news/2014/geisel-school-of-medicine-welcomes-newest-md-class/

Then again, I suppose you can argue that candidates who publish are more attractive in the eyes of the admissions committee and are found disproportionately in the matriculating class than those with no publications.

Reactions: 1 users

I noticed this in a class profile article on Stanford's website from 2013:

. . . one-third have published in a peer-reviewed journal.

Stanford's secondary this year asked for a list of journal publications and I believe the directions specifically said not to include posters or presentations. So perhaps this one-third figure is taken directly from that. Note that Stanford is one of the most research-focused medical schools in the country.

I was about to quote the Geisel report too but @samsunimomo beat me to it!

Reactions: 2 users

Stanford's secondary this year asked for a list of journal publications and I believe the directions specifically said not to include posters or presentations. So perhaps this one-third figure is taken directly from that. Note that Stanford is one of the most research-focused medical schools in the country.

Wow. That's a large number. That's 30/90 of their class, presumably. I love computational research but its hard to get published if you dont have grad-level knowledge :p

Stanford is definitely an exception. I would imagine that quite a few Stanford hopefuls do substantial research after undergrad (if not a PhD) to bolster their chances.

Thanks for the replies. It makes sense that a significant percent of matriculants at top research schools are published, but with respect to applicants as a whole 5% might not be a bad ball park estimate? I think it would be interesting to see the relationship between publishing in a peer reviewed paper and matriculation rates. I would imagine that it's pretty high.