July 2 MCAT and applications timing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mae16

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi - Have a question about application timing and the MCAT.

I'd like to take the July 2nd MCAT -- AMCAS says these scores are released August 4.

So my schedule would be:
June - submit primary applications, study for MCAT
July - take MCAT & submit all secondaries
August 4 - get MCAT score; med schools hopefully start evaluating my applications right away

So...a few questions:

Can I submit secondary applications before I get the MCAT score?

And will med schools likely start looking at my applications immediately in early August, once I get the score, and if so -- is this early enough?

Thanks for any help!

Members don't see this ad.

You will still want to submit your primary as close to the application opening date as possible, which includes requesting transcripts even before the application is open.

Secondaries will start to come in, and you can definitely submit without your MCAT but it will put you in queu for them to review your application but they will not review it until your scores are released.

I took my MCAT on July 9, scores were released just after Aug 9 and I had my first interview on Sept 24.

Don't forget to apply broadly if you are unsure of your performance on the MCAT, it will help so you don't have to scramble to add schools. It is early enough, but applying early is the trend so you don't get a considerable advantage anyway.

Good luck!

Secondaries will start to come in, and you can definitely submit without your MCAT but it will put you in queu for them to review your application but they will not review it until your scores are released.

What about schools that screen the secondary? Won't they have to wait for the MCAT to come in before sending the secondary?