July 2014 MCATers United.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mdcsmitty

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
The other months have one so I figured I would start one for July.

My test date is July 12 at 8 am. I am only doing 10 credits this term and one class is Spanish so it's a gimme. The other two are science classes and I started kaplan online review class yesterday. I know it's still six months away but I'm working full time and will be taking or go during the summer before the test so I figured I should get started now.

Members don't see this ad.

In, taking 17 creds now, but will be free the whole summer. Have started a little light studying, no practice passages yet, however. when do you guys think will be an optimal time to start working on some passages? don't wanna use up all of material before the date.

I am also July 12 @ 8AM. I have gotten all practice material according to the study schedule posted here and starts study tomorrow. I am currently taking Physics 2 (ugh!) but it's my last class. I am a non-trad student (grad 2006) with a major in Radiological Science. This will be a great challenge but I'm up for it. I also work full time but will be taking some time off each month to study. Good luck to everyone!

I'm July 2. Just took my AAMC practice test 3....I have A LOT of work to do! Am using Exam Krackers and another online source that posts good notes on things you need to know for the MCAT. I too am a non traditional (grad 2000) with a major in Spanish, so a LOT older, but we can do it...we WILL do it. Good luck everyone. Let's also post other MCAT prep questions and tips here too.

Members don't see this ad :)
Scheduled for July 24. We got this. No excuses! Expect it to be hard and expect to overcome!

Last edited:
Hey guys! Fellow July 2014 MCATer here. I'm scheduled to take it on July 12th at 8AM too. I started studying a couple of weeks ago. I am using TPR, TPRHL, and EK books for studying. So far, I've gone through all the introductory material and today, spent some time on Verbal. Verbal is definitely something I'm struggling on figuring out how to improve on after taking my first Verbal diagnostic test today with a score of 6, definitely frustrating. I know we all have got it though!

Hello guys! I was originally signed for June but i moved it back to July. So i'm signed up for July 12th. I have already started studying. I should be done with physics next week!!

Reactions: 1 user
What's up everyone!!

I finally found this thread lol, I was going to make one if I didn't find it! I was scheduled for April 24th, but since I haven't taken physics 1 OR 2, I decided it would be best to move it to July 2nd.

I highly suggest working as if your test is in April for optimal studying performance. I wish I took the MCAT more seriously while studying for it in January, and regret wasting so much time. If we bust our asses off for the next 4 months, we will live on afterwards with extreme satisfaction and contentment knowing we got 95%+ (35+) on one of the hardest tests ever.

I used Kaplan FL 1 as a diagnostic, I got a 23 (9/5/9) I usually get 9's-10's on verbal, idk wth happened to me while taking that FL.
Im in a Kaplan on site class, and we're learning the third (and last) section of content now.

Let's stay active and pump each other up continuously on this thread, we can change the rest of our lives by destroying this test.

Reactions: 1 users
You are brave, Hilo. Attempting the MCAT without physics one or two ought to be challenging. Your diagnostics are pretty good, though.

You are brave, Hilo. Attempting the MCAT without physics one or two ought to be challenging. Your diagnostics are pretty good, though.
Yeah its extremely challenging to be honest. I dont think I deserved a 9 on the PS portion of that FL I took, but i'll take it! Im presuming youre also taking the MCAT in july?

You will be fine it seems so just focus on passages, your diagnostics is very good. Let's keep this thread alive guys!

How far along are you guys on content review? For those taking it while in school, how much are you studying a week? Just wanna see where everyone's at.

I am joining this group. I originally scheduled to take it in May, but I had some stuff that came up, so I had to reschedule for July... It's a retake for me... Took it last year and got a 24. Shooting for a 28+ this time.

How far along are you guys on content review? For those taking it while in school, how much are you studying a week? Just wanna see where everyone's at.

I will tell you what I've done but keep in mind I'm not in school right now. :)

So far I've done ch 1+2 of all the TBR books every third passage, 15 verbal passages and 200 questions in TPR Science Workbook. I also did ch. 3 of TPRH Organic Chemistry and the practice passages at the end of that chapter.
Presently working on Chapter 7 + 8 TBR Bio because they correspond with theChad's videos that I watched today.

At first I wanted to stick to SN2ed, but I need other sources to nail down concepts. Sometimes TBR goes too far over my head to be effective so I learn elsewhere first, then tackle TBR passages. If I bomb them or I'm very confused about what they are asking, then I will go back and read the TBR chapter. I can pick out the salient parts because I already had one pass of the material with TPRH or Chad's. Then I do much better on the TBR passages.

My goal is to do a TBR chapter per day + 1/3 passages + science workbook + Chad's videos if necessary. Sometimes I can get away with not reading the entire TBR chapter which is great because it leaves more time for practice questions.

Yeah its extremely challenging to be honest. I dont think I deserved a 9 on the PS portion of that FL I took, but i'll take it! Im presuming youre also taking the MCAT in july?

Yep, my exam is July 24th! You?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm in school. What i do is the opposite of most i'm strictly doing content first which hopefully if all goes as planned i should be done with everything this month. Then April and may will be strictly passages. I study about 4-5 hours a day either in the morning when i don't have classes, or evening 4-5 hours when i'm done with classes. I barely study in the weekends though because i have to work and volunteer so its 4-5 hours for 5 days. It's tough because i have no life but it will be over soon. I'm done with physics and bio, i'm half way done with gen chem hopefully i can finish that this week then next week focus on orgo. what about you?

I will tell you what I've done but keep in mind I'm not in school right now. :)

So far I've done ch 1+2 of all the TBR books every third passage, 15 verbal passages and 200 questions in TPR Science Workbook. I also did ch. 3 of TPRH Organic Chemistry and the practice passages at the end of that chapter.
Presently working on Chapter 7 + 8 TBR Bio because they correspond with theChad's videos that I watched today.

At first I wanted to stick to SN2ed, but I need other sources to nail down concepts. Sometimes TBR goes too far over my head to be effective so I learn elsewhere first, then tackle TBR passages. If I bomb them or I'm very confused about what they are asking, then I will go back and read the TBR chapter. I can pick out the salient parts because I already had one pass of the material with TPRH or Chad's. Then I do much better on the TBR passages.

My goal is to do a TBR chapter per day + 1/3 passages + science workbook + Chad's videos if necessary. Sometimes I can get away with not reading the entire TBR chapter which is great because it leaves more time for practice questions.

Yep, my exam is July 24th! You?
I was going to use SDN2ed, but I don't have all the practice materials. just BR books, AAMCs and TPR science workbooks.
I'm in school. What i do is the opposite of most i'm strictly doing content first which hopefully if all goes as planned i should be done with everything this month. Then April and may will be strictly passages. I study about 4-5 hours a day either in the morning when i don't have classes, or evening 4-5 hours when i'm done with classes. I barely study in the weekends though because i have to work and volunteer so its 4-5 hours for 5 days. It's tough because i have no life but it will be over soon. I'm done with physics and bio, i'm half way done with gen chem hopefully i can finish that this week then next week focus on orgo. what about you?
wow, how many credits are you taking? I try and get around 3 hours, 4 at the most on weekdays. so far I've done:
BR physics 1-8
BR bio 1,2,6,7,8 ( i know, not in order, I'm pretty good with physiology so i wanted to tackle biochem/genetics
BR chem 1-4
with some passages.
I actually might start on your approach. I'm doing well on the passages, but I think its a false indicator considering I just read the section.

wow to you. you have done more than i have. you do passages and i don't lol. Yes i feel like i just want to be done with content review and just focus only on passages. At first i was doing what you are doing but i felt content was slowing me down. I'm taking 13 credits, its not bad but i do still have to keep up my gpa. What about you? Are you applying this year?

Hey future docs! July 2nd mcat date for me, took a kaplan free practice test and got 23... I still have a lot of work to go, Orgo is my enemy right now

I am joining this group. I originally scheduled to take it in May, but I had some stuff that came up, so I had to reschedule for July... It's a retake for me... Took it last year and got a 24. Shooting for a 28+ this time.
Signing out. Will not be taking it again. I just got an acceptance from the 3 interviews I had (2 DO and 1 MD)... Good luck guys/gals!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I might as well add a post here. Looks like if I don't get accepted this cycle and apply again (which I definitely will if I have to) then I'm gonna have to take the mcat again because my scores will expire, which is going to suck big time. second time around shouldn't be as bad as the first, as I tutor pretty much all the science stuff except orgo (and no one at the aamc seems to care about orgo anymore anyway). started studying a few days ago. been killing most of the questions. I read somewhere a pretty good tip which im going to adopt and share. im using the examcrackers stuff. every time I miss a question or concept, I make a flash card. each day I try to go through the flash cards so by test day there wont be any concepts im unsure about. I think its a good strategy. I was a little skeptical about exam crackers because they like to be overly detailed about stuff, but it's actually smart... because if you do in fact understand the fine details (along with, of course, the basics) then the real thing will seem easy. im gonna try to finish all content by the end of april, then just hammer passages and practice tests for may and june.

Hey fellow July MCATers! How goes the studying? Was wondering what your study strategies all were? I'm using Princeton Review, the Hyperlearning books, and EK. My strategy has been to study a few hours each day, and then go over related questions from the EK books for each subject. I'm using the MCAT For Me study plan, so far so good. I'm hoping to be done with review content by the end of May so I can have 6 weeks or so of doing practice exams and from there, go over anything I'm weak on. I need to put more work into Verbal otherwise. I'm through chapters 2 and almost through 3 of the PR books and have done the questions for them. Going to start Ch. 4 for the books hopefully by Wednesday.

Hey fellow July MCATers! How goes the studying? Was wondering what your study strategies all were? I'm using Princeton Review, the Hyperlearning books, and EK. My strategy has been to study a few hours each day, and then go over related questions from the EK books for each subject. I'm using the MCAT For Me study plan, so far so good. I'm hoping to be done with review content by the end of May so I can have 6 weeks or so of doing practice exams and from there, go over anything I'm weak on. I need to put more work into Verbal otherwise. I'm through chapters 2 and almost through 3 of the PR books and have done the questions for them. Going to start Ch. 4 for the books hopefully by Wednesday.

I will be done with content review at the end of May too. In fact, my first AAMC # 3 is scheduled on May 26.

I am using the 4 month SN2d schedule and today is "day 1" (although I've been studying lightly since late January). I am supplementing SN2d with TPRH, chad's videos and wikipremed wherever possible since TBR is time consuming.

Hey!

I was enrolled in a kaplan on-site class, which ended last week. Im planning on completing everything related to the BS section of the MCAT by the end of the first week of April. (i.e-orgo/bio). Afterwards, I'm going to take some AAMC self-assessments, see what my weaknesses are in those subjects, and relearn them. Afterwards, I'll be studying gen chem and physics. I'll do the same routine w/ the AAMC self-assessments. I will be doing VR passages concurrently with everything.

I've scheduled my first AAMC (3) on April 24th, since that was the intial test date I had scheduled. I want a semi-decent indicator of what I would have gotten if i took it that day.

If anyone finds any useful tips, study techniques/strategies, post them here! I'll do the same. You never know, this thread just may be the reason we get 1 or 2 extra points on the MCAT! :highfive:

Is anyone else having trouble accessing the Kaplan free practice test? I've registered like three times but I can't seem to access it... :(

Last edited:
This thread is pretty dead, let's liven it up a bit shall we? How's everyone doing so far?

This thread is pretty dead, let's liven it up a bit shall we? How's everyone doing so far?

This thread has been pretty quiet! It's about time we livened it up.

The studying is coming along. I finally decided I'm going to use the month of April to focus on Biology and Orgo. Then will use May to review Physics and Gen Chem, along with trying to do a few practice passages a day for Verbal. In June, I will start going through the AAMC tests to determine where I'm still weak by doing a couple each week up until I take the test on July 12th.

How is the studying going for you?

This thread has been pretty quiet! It's about time we livened it up.

The studying is coming along. I finally decided I'm going to use the month of April to focus on Biology and Orgo. Then will use May to review Physics and Gen Chem, along with trying to do a few practice passages a day for Verbal. In June, I will start going through the AAMC tests to determine where I'm still weak by doing a couple each week up until I take the test on July 12th.

How is the studying going for you?
Woah... This is actually a really smart idea. I think I might follow something similar to this now! Im trying to perfect my craft in Bio + Orgo as we speak, because quite frankly I need to get as many points as possible in this section. Im going to take my first AAMC (3) April 23rd, 8:00 am to give me an idea of what I might have gotten if I didn't switch my test date (Apr 24th). I put it on the 23rd because its a Wednesday, same date as my actual test now. (July 2nd). What are you using to study? I have access to Kaplan resources, but my on-site classes ended about 2 weeks ago.

Don't you think you might get a bit rusty in Bio n Orgo if you take the next month and dedicate it to PS? How do you plan to deal with that?

Woah... This is actually a really smart idea. I think I might follow something similar to this now! Im trying to perfect my craft in Bio + Orgo as we speak, because quite frankly I need to get as many points as possible in this section. Im going to take my first AAMC (3) April 23rd, 8:00 am to give me an idea of what I might have gotten if I didn't switch my test date (Apr 24th). I put it on the 23rd because its a Wednesday, same date as my actual test now. (July 2nd). What are you using to study? I have access to Kaplan resources, but my on-site classes ended about 2 weeks ago.

Don't you think you might get a bit rusty in Bio n Orgo if you take the next month and dedicate it to PS? How do you plan to deal with that?

Thanks so much!

I thought it might be easier to break everything down rather then try to study all subjects each week as doing that it that way originally, I felt like I was burning out.

Good luck on your first AAMC practice test! That's a really great idea, especially if you were going to take it originally this month.

For study materials, I am using the EK book series of questions for each subject along with 101 passages book for Verbal. In addition, I'm using the TPR books for review content and also have the TPRH science workbook and verbal book too. I'm following the suggested study plan from the MCAT for Me program and it's free too which is nice.

For the time-being, I'm going through the questions from the EK books and will do the same when I start on Gen Chem and Physics next month and will take my first AAMC exam either towards the end of May or beginning of June and will use the TPRH science book to go over the areas that I'm weak. When I start doing Gen Chem and Physics, I'm going to make sure to review Orgo and Bio a couple of times as week just by going through notes I took and skimming review content. Hoping this will be enough to prepare for the actual MCAT!

I am going to reschedule my May exam date to July 12! Does anyone think this is too late as far as applications go? Also, I tried studying during the semester, but my course load is so bad right now and I find myself not having enough time.

If I started studying right after finals all the way through to the date. Should I be fine?! I know a lot of people take over 4 months to study, but I simply don't think I will be able to do that and still get my application in on time!

I am going to reschedule my May exam date to July 12! Does anyone think this is too late as far as applications go? Also, I tried studying during the semester, but my course load is so bad right now and I find myself not having enough time.

If I started studying right after finals all the way through to the date. Should I be fine?! I know a lot of people take over 4 months to study, but I simply don't think I will be able to do that and still get my application in on time!
I think that if you submit your application, while have a pending MCAT score, you should be OK for the most part. I also think you should study here and there to brush up a bit on a few MCAT topics while taking classes. We all have 24 hours in a day, it just depends on how you use em! Your finals prob end at the end of April, so you'll have 2 and a half months to study. That might be a little short, but i think you can work w/ it!

It's a new week folks! Hope the studying is going well for everyone! Anyone have specific goals in mind that they want to accomplish in terms of for studying this week?

It's a new week folks! Hope the studying is going well for everyone! Anyone have specific goals in mind that they want to accomplish in terms of for studying this week?
Yep. I'm taking a break from SN2d to nail down the basics with TPRH SW. I was making "stupid" mistakes because I simply couldn't remember basic formulae or simple concepts. So I'm doing all 801 discretes in that book this week, with a goal of 150 questions per day. I'll report back with how it goes.

Hey!

My goals for this week is to finish up bio content review and switch over to orgo. I wanna start practicing as much as possible. How about you?

Hi everyone! Seems I'm a bit late ot the party, but I will be taking my test on July 24th just in time to reward myself with a trip to Comic-Con 2 days later on the 26th!

I'm currently taking a TPR in person class while also working full time. I'm planning on loosely following along with the SN2ed schedule, but I think that is gonna be a bit difficult with my full time job.

Looking forward to keeping each other motivated as our test get closer!

Hi everyone! Seems I'm a bit late ot the party, but I will be taking my test on July 24th just in time to reward myself with a trip to Comic-Con 2 days later on the 26th!

I'm currently taking a TPR in person class while also working full time. I'm planning on loosely following along with the SN2ed schedule, but I think that is gonna be a bit difficult with my full time job.

Looking forward to keeping each other motivated as our test get closer!

A course + full-time job + Sn2d is cray unless you plan on doing like, 1 chapter per week. :) I would definitely recommend doing at least one passage a day from TBR because they are good.

Hey!

My goals for this week is to finish up bio content review and switch over to orgo. I wanna start practicing as much as possible. How about you?

Nice!! Good luck with getting through the rest of what you are finishing for Bio!

I set my goals going by day. Yesterday, I met my goals of doing EK Verbal test 2 along with doing practice content after finishing Ch. 5 of Bio from TPR. Hoping to do the second set of practice content for that chapter by tonight and start reading for Ch. 5 of the O Chem chapter along with doing a couple of practice passages for Verbal from the TPRH book.

Yep. I'm taking a break from SN2d to nail down the basics with TPRH SW. I was making "stupid" mistakes because I simply couldn't remember basic formulae or simple concepts. So I'm doing all 801 discretes in that book this week, with a goal of 150 questions per day. I'll report back with how it goes.

Ahh, you're using TPRH book too! That sounds like a great idea for physics, to not only become more familiar with the concepts and such but also to become accustomed to different problem solving techniques for different types of questions. Best of luck!

Taking AAMC 3 in 5 days :vomit:

Believe me when I say im unprepared. I feel like I have to though, otherwise i'll continue to slack.

Good luck HiloH!!! Let us know how it goes! I'm planning to take closer to the end of the month.

Good luck, Hilo!

Good luck HiloH!!! Let us know how it goes! I'm planning to take closer to the end of the month.

Thank you guys! I'll let you know how it goes, just don't judge :blackeye::laugh: I already know I'm going to get destroyed in the PS section. I've mainly been concentrating on BS and verbal for the past few weeks. Hopefully it goes well!

Thank you guys! I'll let you know how it goes, just don't judge :blackeye::laugh: I already know I'm going to get destroyed in the PS section. I've mainly been concentrating on BS and verbal for the past few weeks. Hopefully it goes well!

It sounds like we're along the same lines for study strategies! I too only focused on the BS and verbal this month too without doing much with PS. I'm taking my first AAMC test (AAMC 3) on May 1st so I too predict to be destroyed by PS. Hoping it will help me to figure out what to specifically focus on/review in the next month! Good luck with it otherwise!

Oh MCAT... you are one worthy opponent

Hello yall! Im excited to be joining this thread. Good luck with studying guys. We got this.

Im currently in a post bacc program so I will be starting my study schedule mid May and I'll be taking the July 12th test. Wish me luck :)

Oh MCAT... you are one worthy opponent

Hello yall! Im excited to be joining this thread. Good luck with studying guys. We got this.

Im currently in a post bacc program so I will be starting my study schedule mid May and I'll be taking the July 12th test. Wish me luck :)

Best of luck to you, lilLady! I too am taking the MCAT on July 12th too. I have no doubt that we've got this test!

It sounds like we're along the same lines for study strategies! I too only focused on the BS and verbal this month too without doing much with PS. I'm taking my first AAMC test (AAMC 3) on May 1st so I too predict to be destroyed by PS. Hoping it will help me to figure out what to specifically focus on/review in the next month! Good luck with it otherwise!
I think I'm going to move my AAMC to May 1st as well. :) I'd rather get in some PS review

Hey guys!
I'm also taking it in July, but July 2nd @ 8:00 am.
I only have tbr physics 8/9/10 & tbr chem 7/8/9/10 so I'm almost done content review. How far along is everyone else??

Hey guys!
I'm also taking it in July, but July 2nd @ 8:00 am.
I only have tbr physics 8/9/10 & tbr chem 7/8/9/10 so I'm almost done content review. How far along is everyone else??
I'm going to re-do all of chem and physics since I haven't seen/reviewed that stuff in a LONG time. I finished bio review, and I always feel too comfortable with orgo as if I don't need to review it, but I'm going to go through that book pretty quick just incase. (I recently took O.Chem I & II)

I'm going to re-do all of chem and physics since I haven't seen/reviewed that stuff in a LONG time. I finished bio review, and I always feel too comfortable with orgo as if I don't need to review it, but I'm going to go through that book pretty quick just incase. (I recently took O.Chem I & II)

I dread OChem review...its so boring. And reading so heavily with TBR isnt helping. But I've heard a lot of good reviews regarding TBR Ochem so Im trying to suck it up lol

Hello all I am taking it on July 12th...I am following Sn2d's schedule. I am taking off 3 months from working, but I am taking my master's courses and also starting an internship soon. The schedule is super time consuming though especially going and reviewing the passages takes me so long bc some of these TBR passages are intense and confusing. I've been ignoring orgo tho which is BAD gotta suck it up too! lol Good luck to everyone!

Whatsup guys, taking the MCAT on July 24th ( shoutout to the 1:00 Pm start time). I started doing Sn2ed's guide and its been tricky, especially with finals coming up in the next few weeks. I'm a little behind schedule but I hope to compensate for it as soon as summer starts. We got this