July MCAT for this cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hubristicphantasm

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I wanted to pick your brains. I am currently scheduled to take the June 20th MCAT but am really starting to think that I'm not going to be ready. I haven't had time to study much throughout this semester, due to a wide variety of factors, and I'm terrified at the thought of trying to fit everything in less than two months.

Here's my question, then. If I submit my AMCAS as soon as it opens, so everything can be verified, will taking the July MCAT significantly hurt my chances of getting in this cycle? Any input would be highly appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Probably. You'd be complete sometime in August, and if you prewrote all of your secondaries, that would still put you at late August/early Sept, so you'd be behind literally 1000's of apps.

Probably. You'd be complete sometime in August, and if you prewrote all of your secondaries, that would still put you at late August/early Sept, so you'd be behind literally 1000's of apps.
My main concern is that, with finals these coming weeks, I won't really be able to get started until early May. I could probably do content review in the time that leaves me, but practice? Nearly impossible.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, wait a year.
What do you think about taking in May vs taking in June? I know I'll be more prepared in June but I also wanna be an early applicant and still need to up the volunteering/shadowing/job up as soon as I finish the mcat and b4 applying.. :/

What do you think about taking in May vs taking in June? I know I'll be more prepared in June but I also wanna be an early applicant and still need to up the volunteering/shadowing/job up as soon as I finish the mcat and b4 applying.. :/

Hey Levrone. You can get a decent amount of shadowing hours in a very short period of time, but as for volunteering that should have been started at least a year ago and carried out to this date (in other words there is no point in picking up new volunteering activities right before applying).

Hey Levrone. You can get a decent amount of shadowing hours in a very short period of time, but as for volunteering that should have been started at least a year ago and carried out to this date (in other words there is no point in picking up new volunteering activities right before applying).
I switched from pharm to med recently and didn't have anything done. I've been volunteering for 8 months and can get to 100 hrs within another month or so, but wanted to go all out volunterring/shadowing/scribing as soon as I was done with the mcat, plus finish application/PS etc. like double the volunteering to 200 and ~100 hrs shadowing and maybe 100 hrs scribing or something..

so yeah, the volunteering would just be from 3 hrs per week (what ive been doing) to like 12 hrs per week.

idk if it's more important to get a *possibly* higher score on the june mcat or apply early with more volunteer/shadow hours etc.

I think I'm just gonna try to go in extreme study mode right now and if I don't do well in the AAMC practice test in 2-3 weeks, then perhaps try to find a june spot..
im mostly worried about the biochem and the data analysis

I do not think a June MCAT would destroy you.

Looking at the timelines:

July MCAT, August Scores, Early September Completion
June MCAT, July Scores, Early August Completion

The second option would almost be considered at the tail end of "Normal." But a July MCAT, then you're just really late.