June 2014 MCATers United!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RocketSurgeon

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks!

I am creating this thread for all SDNers taking the MCAT in June (5th/13th/21st). Similar to past "MCATers United" threads, this thread is to discuss everything and anything pertinent to the June MCAT. (Barring certain topics outlined in the stickies by the mods - MCAT Questions etc.)

The next Gold Zone begins Feb 11th for May, June, July and Aug MCAT test dates. That means you should be able to signup for a test date for June starting Feb 11th.

Feel free to post you exam strategies, resources, tips/tricks. Also, to get things started provide a brief introduction - your background and your planned schedule! :) I am sure we have plenty of people here with very different backgrounds and we should help each other by constructively critiquing each other approach to this dreaded test!

About Me:

MCAT Date: 06/05 (First Attempt)
Undergrad Major: Neuroscience
Grad Program: Biomedical Engineering

Currently working full time as an engineer in research.

Strong Areas: Physics, General Chemistry, Physiology, Verbal
Weak Areas: Organic Chemistry, Biochemistry

I would be happy to help out with any physics\quantitative problems!

Plan:
I looked at SN2ed's program (4 month variation) and I really like it! It has all the key components I was looking for 1) Depth of content 2) A LOT of timed practice 3) Good testimonials. I am going to be following the program word for word.

Useful Links:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/breaking-down-the-mcat-a-3-month-mcat-study-schedule.623898/
SN2ed's Plan

http://mcatschedule.webs.com/mcatschedular122days.htm
Convert SN2rd's plan to a CSV based on your test date. Easily imported into Google spreadsheet or Excel Spreadsheet by -kseungjin

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/how-i-went-from-a-26-to-a-43.943292/
An interesting approach to the MCAT.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
@drturkelton and @threesparrows Yeah...im kind of on the fence about TBR. Time is a luxury I don't have and I understood all the concepts pretty thoroughly when I took my pre reqs. I'm taking the EK course and I will supplement it with TRB passages. IF I have time I might read over TBR content.

Yeah I'm in the same boat. All the errors I seem to be making aren't things I didn't know, but stupid test taking errors. Which is frustrating because I don't really know how to fix those...

I am 11 weeks, 3 days, and 19 hours away from my MCAT date, according to the countdown I made on a website, haha. So far all I've done is VR practice, and on Friday I finally finished going through all of the free biology videos on Coursesaver. Took AAMC 3 today and got a 28 - 8/11/9.

Reactions: 1 user
I am 11 weeks, 3 days, and 19 hours away from my MCAT date, according to the countdown I made on a website, haha. So far all I've done is VR practice, and on Friday I finally finished going through all of the free biology videos on Coursesaver. Took AAMC 3 today and got a 28 - 8/11/9.
Thats awesome! Yeah I need to do that. I will be studying all week and then will take my practice on Saturday! Will post my score!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Guys,
So sad I just rescheduled my May 8th exam. Now registered for June 13th. I will be using TBR, TPR and a bit of EK here and there. I also have the EK Audio Osmosis.
Non-trad, working full time, re-taker (last time I took this exam was Summer 2012 and I was convinced I was done with the Med School Dream but somehow i'm back to studying. Here's to making this dream a reality!)
Hopefully we can all motivate each other! :)

Hello Everyone! I just registered for the June 21st MCAT. My sciences are a little rusty (but I did very well when I took them) so I'm ready to buckle down for some serious review. I took AAMC #3 on Saturday and got 7 PS 11 VR 7 BS. My goal is to score between 33-35 on the MCAT. I think I can do it! :)

I purchased all the materials that normally come with the a Princeton Review Course from somebody, plus a few additional books. I've carefully read both the Spinach method and SN2ed, and have put together my own plan using some of their tips. I think for sanity's sake I'm going to study for 5 days a week. I look forward to talking with you all more. Attached is the schedule I put together if anyone is interested (with a few notes to myself...and I'm not very good at excel so parts of the formatting are off :) ). It does however include the TPRH assignments/schedule in an easy to access format.

Attachments

• June 21st MCAT Study Schedule - 5 days a week expirement.xls
    1.9 MB · Views: 74
Oh, one more thing I wanted to share (just in case somebody else like me managed to miss this up until now!!). There is no calculator allowed on the MCAT nor provided on screen.

For me this is a huge departure from how I did all my basic science calculations, so I'm also going to do some serious arithmetic studying starting in this: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/arithmetic-tricks-take-two.528674/ thread. Somehow is all of my reading on this site that never came up. I was reading the official AAMC guide last week and got quite the shock :)

Just registered for the June 13! This is my first exam and I'm scared as hell. I also work full time so this will be very interesting…wish me luck and I look forward to all the support!!

Good luck everyone :)

Just finishing week one of the SN2ed 3 month study plan and I'm feeling okay. Physics is definitely going the best thus far while gen/orgo chem are okay and the bio is whooping my butt. Like bad.. and I'm a bio major. ANyone else feel this same way? Debating if it is too dense to start with or by the time I get to it (after reading a while chapter and correcting the previous days problems) I'm just too spent to give it my full concentration.

It basically takes me from 4:30/5 pm - 10:00 to get the majority of it done. I also work 30 hours a week doing research and am shadowing 8ish hours a week as well. No free time, but its not terrible yet..

Question for those who have already taken the test: Is the actual bio section so dense with biochem and amino acid/enzyme information? SEEing a lot of that.

Lastly, should I take a FL before SN2ed schedule tells me to?

Just finished my re-reading of all of the first chapters and I feel a little bit better. I feel pretty good about all of the content for the first chapter of everything which is pretty relieving. However, I took the in-class EK Bio exam and didnt do too hot on it. I got a 14/23 correct. I will go over them tomorrow but I feel like I made some stupid errors and rushed myself. (finished in like 19 minutes). How is everyone else going? Reading these threads is one of the only things keeping me from being overly demoralized.

Halfway through Chad's physics videos now. Feeling pretty confident, about to jump into the EK 10-week home study schedule on Sunday.

I was about to fall asleep last night when I realized I'm taking AAMC 7 on Sunday, and I got excited and couldn't sleep. I'm pretty sure this isn't normal...

How many AAMCs have you taken to this point?

Halfway through Chad's physics videos now. Feeling pretty confident, about to jump into the EK 10-week home study schedule on Sunday.

I was about to fall asleep last night when I realized I'm taking AAMC 7 on Sunday, and I got excited and couldn't sleep. I'm pretty sure this isn't normal...

Members don't see this ad :)

I got a 28 (8/11/9). This was with nothing but VR practice (~2 passages per day since January, all of TPRH Verbal, 3 EK 101 practice tests) and all of Chad's Biology videos, which is incomplete anyway (no physio videos). So VR-wise I was prepared, but content review was very minimal.

Honestly I think taking one before content review is good, as it will give you an idea as to which sections and topics to focus more on. In my case, it was great knowing I'm at a good spot VR-wise, and even greater knowing which PS topics I really need to review.

Nice! That's not too shabby with the amount of studying you've done thus far. Must feel good knowing it will most likely go up from there! :thumbup:

I'm on the fence to whether I should burn an AAMC FL, but I could use a gauge for where I'm at without complete content review. It could light a fire. All I've seen have been TBR study passages and if they're any indication of how I'll end up doing, I'm not in the boat I'd like to be..

I got a 28 (8/11/9). This was with nothing but VR practice (~2 passages per day since January, all of TPRH Verbal, 3 EK 101 practice tests) and all of Chad's Biology videos, which is incomplete anyway (no physio videos). So VR-wise I was prepared, but content review was very minimal.

Honestly I think taking one before content review is good, as it will give you an idea as to which sections and topics to focus more on. In my case, it was great knowing I'm at a good spot VR-wise, and even greater knowing which PS topics I really need to review.

Nice! That's not too shabby with the amount of studying you've done thus far. Must feel good knowing it will most likely go up from there! :thumbup:

I'm on the fence to whether I should burn an AAMC FL, but I could use a gauge for where I'm at without complete content review. It could light a fire. All I've seen have been TBR study passages and if they're any indication of how I'll end up doing, I'm not in the boat I'd like to be..

I sure hope so, man. Between classes and work and MCAT studying I'm getting more and more tired each day.

Do AAMC 3! Nothing like AAMC material to give you an insight as to how they word passages and questions. Aside from pointing out topic areas of strengths and weaknesses it'll also help you see if there are any adjustments you have to make strategy-wise, when attacking passages.

Hey just wondering, is there a certain schedule youre following with chads vids? or just using those vids as supplements for whatever books youre using?

Hey just wondering, is there a certain schedule youre following with chads vids? or just using those vids as supplements for whatever books youre using?

Right now I'm just alternating between Gen Chem and Physics (~1 hour of video per day). I study best when I see the material presented to me before reading the book, and so I'm watching Chad's videos as a pre-"buckle down and read review books" strategy.

Yahoo I just took a practice test and the study has made a difference. Most of things I need to know *are* in my brain somewhere...I swear :). I just have to find them, they are buried under two years of other junk. (PS 8 VR 10 BS 9 on Kaplan 1 CBT after 1.5 weeks of studying).

I came up with a solution to a little problem that had been bugging me. The timer for the break is on the computer, but you leave the room to take your break, and can't have a watch. What if there aren't clocks, how do you know what time it is? Solution: (assuming they will let me) I'm going to bring my study kitchen timer along with my snacks and leave it in my personal items, then just set it so I'll have time to get back into the room :)

Ok.. So I registered for 6/13. I took my MCAT on 3/22. Let's see if I will have to cancel this or not on 4/22.

Gotchya. Thanks. Well hopefully you wont need to retake and will do great on your first!

You can find my post-exam feelings under the official march 22 mcat thread.
I rushed through the entire exam. I averaged 34 on AAMC FLs.

Week 2 is in the books and I'm still feeling kind of shaky. Today I get to reread all the chapters!!! :soexcited:...:bucktooth:
TBR is still kicking my butt but for the most part its only bio and Ochem.. Then I get 90% right on the first 1/3 of CH. 8 questions so I dont really know what to think.. Just keep grinding I suppose.. Still deciding if I want to take a FL sometime soon to get a better grasp of what the test will be like since I'm still sort of in the dark.

Hi!! Just thought ill leave my updates on here. I have been trying to spend as little time on sdn as possible.

I have been mostly doing EK+EK1001+EK Mini-MCAT. Almost half way through. My plan is to finish up within the next month and then do full lengths (I want to save them for last). Ill take ~3 FLTs and see if I can hit a 35+ if I cant I'm going to do TBR Content (Skim over) + TBR Passages and then take 2 FLT to see where I stand.

3 weeks in and I already feel like I've gotten really good at seeing their tricks. I am scoring ~12-13 on Bio/~11-12 Physics/~10-11 Verbal sections (taken independently from non AAMC FLTs).

Nice, Glad to hear that you're starting to feel pretty good about the practice problems and sounds like a descent plan. Do you think the EK has been a pretty good refresher as is? I've been doing TBR and EK for bio only and the EK is about 1/3 as detailed as TBR. I think I need the extra detail though. I guess I'm trying to ask "Do you feel confident enough to take some FLTs with the background EK provides?"

Hi!! Just thought ill leave my updates on here. I have been trying to spend as little time on sdn as possible.

I have been mostly doing EK+EK1001+EK Mini-MCAT. Almost half way through. My plan is to finish up within the next month and then do full lengths (I want to save them for last). Ill take ~3 FLTs and see if I can hit a 35+ if I cant I'm going to do TBR Content (Skim over) + TBR Passages and then take 2 FLT to see where I stand.

3 weeks in and I already feel like I've gotten really good at seeing their tricks. I am scoring ~12-13 on Bio/~11-12 Physics/~10-11 Verbal sections (taken independently from non AAMC FLTs).

Nice, Glad to hear that you're starting to feel pretty good about the practice problems and sounds like a descent plan. Do you think the EK has been a pretty good refresher as is? I've been doing TBR and EK for bio only and the EK is about 1/3 as detailed as TBR. I think I need the extra detail though. I guess I'm trying to ask "Do you feel confident enough to take some FLTs with the background EK provides?"

Definitely! I did start with TBR but it was too detail oriented. All I really needed was a book that kind of went over the concepts - just a refresher. What I have realized is that for the MCAT you really need to focus on the concepts and not the details. Just practice a LOT you'll see how you can answer so many questions just by process of elimination for example two answer choices being the same but worded differently, ruling out extreme answers, developing an intuition for time/quantity scale Also, you start to get a feel for the right answer. You start seeing the ways they try to trick you.

I think the MCAT is all about intuition you can get through the physical sciences section with very few actual calculations if you can reason through the answer choices. The reason I picked EK was that I have only so much time, given that I have a full time job.

So if I have 3 months to study I want to exhaust all the practice material I have (EK/TBR/TPRH/Kaplan). If along the way I feel I don't get a concept I look it up online. The internet is a GREAT resource and there's usually a better explanation in a youtube video that in any of the content review books.

That's interesting advice. I'm starting to debate how well I really need to go over some of this stuff... How many passages/review questions do you do on average?

Definitely! I did start with TBR but it was too detail oriented. All I really needed was a book that kind of went over the concepts - just a refresher. What I have realized is that for the MCAT you really need to focus on the concepts and not the details. Just practice a LOT you'll see how you can answer so many questions just by process of elimination for example two answer choices being the same but worded differently, ruling out extreme answers, developing an intuition for time/quantity scale Also, you start to get a feel for the right answer. You start seeing the ways they try to trick you.

I think the MCAT is all about intuition you can get through the physical sciences section with very few actual calculations if you can reason through the answer choices. The reason I picked EK was that I have only so much time, given that I have a full time job.

So if I have 3 months to study I want to exhaust all the practice material I have (EK/TBR/TPRH/Kaplan). If along the way I feel I don't get a concept I look it up online. The internet is a GREAT resource and there's usually a better explanation in a youtube video that in any of the content review books.

Each week: 38 Passages + 500 discretes
3 Passages EK Test + 25 Lecture Discretes + 100 EK 1001 Discretes + 2 mini-MCAT Passages Orgo
3 Passages EK Test + 25 Lecture Discretes + 100 EK 1001 Discretes + 2 mini-MCAT Passages Physics
3 Passages EK Test + 25 Lecture Discretes + 100 EK 1001 Discretes + 2 mini-MCAT Passages Chem
3 Passages EK Test + 25 Lecture Discretes + 100 EK 1001 Discretes + 2 mini-MCAT Passages Bio
~3 Passages a day Verbal

Hey All!
Bit late to this party, but better late than never!

I've been studying part time since the tail end of January. I followed a version of the SN2ed's 4 month plan (definitely did not re-read each chapter every week!) and after I was done the first set of TBR books I took a week to do questions throughout each book. This week I'm on Chapter 9 of Phys, Gen Chem, and Bio and Chapter 7 of O Chem. I am painfully weak in Physics (haven't taken a physics class since general science in the 9th grade, oivay) so I have ordered a few additional resources to help me there.

I haven't touched a FL test yet, but I'm leaving those for my last two months of studying.

Is anyone getting incredibly nervous yet??

Sorry to keep prodding, but how long does something like that take you each day?

I'm working full time too so I work from 6am-3:30 in a lab but I have some time to peak at study materials during work and then I pretty much study from 4-10.. everyday... Debating whether to trudge though with a "it'll be worth it" attitude or start to focus my study efforts on more practical skills in taking the exams. At the rate I'm going I'll have about 28 days to do as many FLTs and reviews as I can..

Each week: 38 Passages + 500 discretes
3 Passages EK Test + 25 Lecture Discretes + 100 EK 1001 Discretes + 2 mini-MCAT Passages Orgo
3 Passages EK Test + 25 Lecture Discretes + 100 EK 1001 Discretes + 2 mini-MCAT Passages Physics
3 Passages EK Test + 25 Lecture Discretes + 100 EK 1001 Discretes + 2 mini-MCAT Passages Chem
3 Passages EK Test + 25 Lecture Discretes + 100 EK 1001 Discretes + 2 mini-MCAT Passages Bio
~3 Passages a day Verbal

Hello everyone, I am starting my mcat studying today!!! 3rd time retaking!! Just finished graduate school in December, currently applying to medical school... I had three interviews and have yet to hear from either one of them. I am currently working so my study schedule would be from about 5:30-11:30 M-F, then weekends about 8-10 hours each day. I can't waste another day not doing anything! Aiming for at least a 28!! My date is set for june 21!!

Hey All!
I am painfully weak in Physics (haven't taken a physics class since general science in the 9th grade, oivay) so I have ordered a few additional resources to help me there.

I'm confused. Every single school I've looked at has 1 year of college level Physics as a prereq. If you haven't taken that yet, and you're weak in the area...Why are you taking the MCAT right now?

Sorry to keep prodding, but how long does something like that take you each day?

I'm working full time too so I work from 6am-3:30 in a lab but I have some time to peak at study materials during work and then I pretty much study from 4-10.. everyday... Debating whether to trudge though with a "it'll be worth it" attitude or start to focus my study efforts on more practical skills in taking the exams. At the rate I'm going I'll have about 28 days to do as many FLTs and reviews as I can..

Hi Browser!

No worries! Sure my schedule looks like the following:

Weekday:
Wake-up: 8:00am
Work: 9:00am-~5:00pm
Workout/Dinner/Break: 5:00-7:00
Study: 7:00pm-2:00am

Weekends:
Wake-up: 9:00am
Study: 10:00am - 2:00am (Taking breaks for lunch/dinner)

Just to add its really difficult to keep up with this schedule mostly because I'm human lol (turning into a MCAT machine haha). Days I dont want to study I watch boston med or hopkins and that gets me motivated to keep going! :)

Haha, yea that's pretty intensive.. but I understand how it goes... Hopefully you can stay motivated and stick with it.. A few busy/stressful months for an awesome score sounds good to me!

I'm starting to feel like I'm just inching along in most of this. I'm just getting through the 3rd chapters this week, so I will be finished around the 2nd week of may, with my test being the second week of June (the 13th). I'm actually enjoying getting to go over a lot of this stuff and at least getting a descent hold of the content but I'm getting anxious to take a practice test or something. I guess I still don't really know exactly what to expect from the real thing.. or even a FL for that matter. I want to make sure all this content review is the best thing to be doing right now... :eyebrow: (Plus it makes me jealous when I hear other people doing well on a FL and I want to know where I'm at.)

Where's everybody else at?! Ups and downs??

Hi Browser!

No worries! Sure my schedule looks like the following:

Weekday:
Wake-up: 8:00am
Work: 9:00am-~5:00pm
Workout/Dinner/Break: 5:00-7:00
Study: 7:00pm-2:00am

Weekends:
Wake-up: 9:00am
Study: 10:00am - 2:00am (Taking breaks for lunch/dinner)

Just to add its really difficult to keep up with this schedule mostly because I'm human lol (turning into a MCAT machine haha). Days I dont want to study I watch boston med or hopkins and that gets me motivated to keep going! :)

I'm confused. Every single school I've looked at has 1 year of college level Physics as a prereq. If you haven't taken that yet, and you're weak in the area...Why are you taking the MCAT right now?

I'm Canadian and planned to stay in Canada anyways. There are plenty of schools that don't have a Physics requirement (2 that I would have applied to otherwise). I'm more or less a non-trad so I hadn't plotted out the Med school course since high school or even during Undergrad actually. If I had I would have sucked it up and taken Physics ;)

Whoa your schedule sounds intense RocketSurgeon!!

That makes some sense then christinalouise...Though I'd still expect that it will be a major challenge that way. For me this review is third time through most of the content (I took a pretty rigorous version of physics in HS) and I still can't get very much of it to stick in my head :). (I'm taking the last part of the physics series, studying relativity and quantum physics right now...and it's blowing my mind :). From what I understand, while physics III content technically *can* be on the MCAT it doesn't tend to come up so frequently, correct?)

Okay, I am asking desperately for help. I keep on screwing up on verbal. I read around 2-3 passages a day, and I cannot seem to improve. Anybody have any advice? thank you
AAMC 4 10/7/7 - 24
AAMC 5 12/7/9 - 28
AAMC 7 10/6/11 -27

Okay, I am asking desperately for help. I keep on screwing up on verbal. I read around 2-3 passages a day, and I cannot seem to improve. Anybody have any advice? thank you
AAMC 4 10/7/7 - 24
AAMC 5 12/7/9 - 28
AAMC 7 10/6/11 -27

What strategy are you using? (if any) I know I actually was doing worse when I started using some verbal strategies and to me verbal came naturally. After each passage I take a lot of time to review why I got a question wrong and really try to think through why that answer makes sense, in other words, if you were to take the exact test again how should you have though about the question to get to that answer. Basically for verbal review time for each passage is >>> that num of passages.

I have tried the TPR method and the EK method. I just feel like I read a passage and I have no clue what is going on whatsoever. I just feel so lost when I'm reading

Okay you will always run into passages like that. You can use some strategies here like: Try to get a feel of what the passage is trying to say - Don't try to understand the argument but try to understand the "tone" for example if its about art and the author mentions music. Is he contrasting the two what is the tone? Is he positive/optimistic about outcome of something? Does he quote other people? Did he do that to exemplify his point?

Also, you can actually rule out certain answers without even looking at the passage. Like this always is true or this is never true. Its hard to diagnose what your problem is but why are you so lost? Is it the sentence structure the vocabulary? or just unfamiliarity with the topics?

It may sound simplistic and straight-forward but when I read I need to get myself into a mode of intense concentration to really focus on what I'm reading. Diminutive distractions will throw off my understanding of the passage so I cannot really do it unless Im by myself or have ear plugs in. From that I, more than anything, try to remember what individual paragraphs say so they're easier to reference when I'm answering questions.

I started out getting 4 or 5 out of 8 questions and after settling into my strategy above I've been getting 7/8s out of 8.

Again this is based on TBR and TPRH verbal passages and what works for me personally. But if you're really struggling, it doesn't hurt to mess around with a few techniques till you find what works for you.

AAMC 4 10/7/7 - 24
AAMC 5 12/7/9 - 28
AAMC 7 10/6/11 -27

Okay you will always run into passages like that. You can use some strategies here like: Try to get a feel of what the passage is trying to say - Don't try to understand the argument but try to understand the "tone" for example if its about art and the author mentions music. Is he contrasting the two what is the tone? Is he positive/optimistic about outcome of something? Does he quote other people? Did he do that to exemplify his point?

Also, you can actually rule out certain answers without even looking at the passage. Like this always is true or this is never true. Its hard to diagnose what your problem is but why are you so lost? Is it the sentence structure the vocabulary? or just unfamiliarity with the topics?
Today, atleast, I took the exam in the library and people were so noisy and I didn't have ear plugs. Also, my highlighting feature did not work. I am not saying that to take blame away from my part, but it definitely did not help. Usually I practice TPRH and get 5/6 -6/6 on each passage but when I take the aamc's I compeletly fail. I really don't understand my issue. Maybe it's nerves